accord trans swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

flipper411

Hello. I just bought a 1991 accord Automatic, the trans is shot! anyway I want to replace it, I work on cars somtimes, and i do have all the tools, and want to tackle the replacement, but how hard is this project, and is there a manual of some sort, for this type of installation? Thanks!

Go to manual. It's much better. It's not too hard. me and my buddy just did his 92 accord auto to manual swap and it took about 2 days to do the meat of it and we're slow. took us about a week in all honesty, because 2 bolts broke we didn't count on.

You also have to weld a different transmission braket in place of the auto one. It must not have been that difficult to weld, because that's the first real thing my friend has tried welding after practicing on scrap metal. Just make sure you have all parts on hand. Here's his list with prices.

F22A1 Transmission and Clutch Fork $290
Transmission Bolts and Starter Bolt FREE
Manual Transmission Mount $38
Manual Transmission Mount Bracket $10
Manual Transmission Chassis Bracket $18
Clutch Case $15
Manual Transmission ECU $30
2 Bottles of Synchromesh $12
ACT XACT Flywheel (10 lbs) $289
ACT XTREME Pressure Plate, Throw-Out, and Organic Street Disc $469
ARP Flywheel Bolts (Didn’t Fit; Too Long) $45
ARP Pressure Plate Bolts $15
OEM Flywheel Bolts $33
DSS Level 0 CV Axles $330
Intermediate Shaft and Hanger $50
Tokico Clutch Master Cylinder $30
Clutch Master Cylinder Reservoir FREE
Tokico Clutch Slave Cylinder $28
Hydraulic Clutch Lines (Custom Bent) $8
OEM Hard Rubber flex-line $6
Duralast Premium Remanufactured Starter $170
Shifter-Assembly $25
Polished, then Painted Gloss Black (Polishing Disc/Paint) $10
Chrome Weighted Shift Knob $23
Re-greased Pivot Point (Lithium Grease) $5
Shift Linkage $30
Clutch Pedal Assembly w/Clutch Switch Connectors $20
Brake Pedal $15
Cotter Pins (Multiple Sizes) $5

attachment.php

missing a couple parts in the pic

CB7tuner.com has a few guides to the whole thing.

the wiring is not at all complex either.

Attachments

• l_b3e48050a19319241c5a82d852cfca99.jpg
    l_b3e48050a19319241c5a82d852cfca99.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 4,128
Last edited:
Hi I will take your advise on that manual trans swap, See I have a 1991 accord lx 4 door with auto trans, and I was reading your list of items to be able to perform this task, and noticed will all the parts fit from a 1992 5 speed accord? and as far as wiring goes is there any mod on harness that has to be done? I would like to try to use all the parts from this 1992 accord for the swap! thanks alot!! Jr

i do not think you will need to do anything to the harness, but theres some wiring to be done on the tranny itself

Hi I will take your advise on that manual trans swap, See I have a 1991 accord lx 4 door with auto trans, and I was reading your list of items to be able to perform this task, and noticed will all the parts fit from a 1992 5 speed accord? and as far as wiring goes is there any mod on harness that has to be done? I would like to try to use all the parts from this 1992 accord for the swap! thanks alot!! Jr

The parts from a 92 Accord should work fine, they should be the same as the 91. As far as the electronics go, you'll need a manual ECU. In some cases you can chip the auto ECU and program it to run a manual, but I don't know offhand if your ECU is chip-able or not. You'll also have to do a little bit of re-wiring for the reverse lights and other things. That walk-through article should explain it.

u'll need to rewire reverse light, cruise control switch on clutch pedal, and clutch safe switch which prevents of starting ur car w/o depressing clutch pedal. reverse switch is on the tranny. i don't think u have to get different switch but u have to put vss on the tranny back.

thats about it. anything else?

ECU Question: 2000 Accord... ECU from same year MT car has one less receptacle for plug, do I need to do anything with extra plug, repin?.. thanks

Confused about electrical connections including VSS in general... do i need to repin for vss.. I am referencing the old accord auto to manual thread...

VSS Question-- cut this from another thread.. is this the best way to do it?...

VSS Wiring
This is a simple fix to make the vss/vtec work. if you want to edit this to make it work better, have at it.
lets use this pin diagram:
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/at…5&d=1111724327
depin the #10 on connector D and install onto 23 on connector C. depinning is a ***** but it must be done for your sake. as far as the vss, i cant confirm wire colors, but when you are looking at the plug, with the clip part on top, the wiring is as follows… ground / power / signal.
now the speedo has to be tee’d off. the auto got an input from the vss to the ecu the sent another signal to the speedo. somewhere along your vss signal line, splice the wire with the blu/wht wire running to the back of your speedo. the other end, not connected to the cluster, is on the pass side behind the fuses.

hey i bought a 99 honda accord v6 someone put a 6 speed trans manual and it has that computer box and like to see if i could find some wiring on it the speedometer dont want to work

ive replace the speed sensors and still cant get my speedometer to work

What ECU are you using? Maybe it has a VSS that has to route through the cluster first before going to the ECU? I'm not sure how your stock ECU is set up for VSS sensing.

Back