Accord V-6 Compatability Question?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

onelane

I have a friend with a wrecked 03' Accord V-6 4door (EX, I think). Interior is in great shape, motor runs with auto trans. I'm thinking about buying it from him to put together another car.

I'm wondering what my options are as far as compatability of that engine in other year accords? and if it will easily drop into any other models, prelude maybe? or maybe and acura of somekind? any other options will greatly increase my chances of finding a suitable car to start with. preferably something that either has a blown motor, or maybe even had been stolen and stripped or vandalized?

thanks

v6 accord motor - dosnt have a wide compatability for easy drop like other honda motors - look into other chassis with v6 like ur cl's tl's etc- but other than that just stick with chassis that came v6- - i would just fix the 03 - that motor is going to need some thing to work with its imobilizer

Originally posted by b204dr@Jan 11 2005, 11:03 AM
v6 accord motor - dosnt have a wide compatability for easy drop like other honda motors - look into other chassis with v6 like ur cl's tl's etc- but other than that just stick with chassis that came v6- - i would just fix the 03 - that motor is going to need some thing to work with its imobilizer
[post=444107]Quoted post[/post]​

frame damage not worth fixing. is the chassis common only among 03-06 accords? or are earlier years the same chassis with different body panels, maybe 98-02?

I would think that, any Honda/Acura that came with the C-series V6 would be able to accept that engine. But, as mentioned, aftermarket support is very limited.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Jan 11 2005, 11:45 AM
I would think that, any Honda/Acura that came with the C-series V6 would be able to accept that engine. But, as mentioned, aftermarket support is very limited.
[post=444130]Quoted post[/post]​

Is that what those are considered C series? I'm very new to this, especially newer accords. Have owned some CRX's, but only swapped same size and engine.

Does anyone know a good resource for finding what engines came in what cars and years?

thanks for the info so far.

actually i thinkthey are a J series. a friend has an '01 accord and its a J30 so i think thats what the new ones are too. as far as aftermarket support, about all you can do is Intake, headers, Exhaust, Supercharge, and Chip it. well, that is about all you can do as far as bolt on stuff. You will pay out the ass for the stuff though. my friend already has intake and headers, getting theexhaust in a couple weeks, and a SC in a few months. The AEM intake was about regular price, about $200. The Comptech headers were $1200 and they are the only manufacturer of decent ones. also Comptch makes the SC which is $3 G's. He's getting the Magnaflow Catback, which runs 500 but hes getting it for 250 through a friend at magnaflow. as far as the exhaust there are a few companies like Greddy and Comptech that make catbacks. And chips well they are about average price.

So i know you were asking abotu compatibility in other chassis, but just tryin to let you know what your getting into with this motor. I can say though The motor sounds fuckin sweet with just the CAI and Headers. It is loud as fuck and mean sounding. add the magnaflows and that bithc is gonna be sweet sounding. i tink yours is 240 hp stock, with IHE and SC you could probably hit atleast 300HP, probably 270-280 at the wheels.

hope that helps

I appreciate all the info, but I don't really have any intentions of modifying the engine. I'm more interested into taking a very low mileage engine that is sitting doing nothing, and maybe the leather interior, and try to make a nice driver on the cheap, since I have the ability/shop to do this, but don't know what all my options are as far as what the engine will fit in, etc...

How do I find out if it is a C or J series, is it marked on the block or in the vin plate? are there any sites that list what series fit or came in which cars? I'm not looking for any major chop jobs to get the engine to work, prefer a straight bolt in.

thanks

your best bet is to sell the car for parts........buy the car really cheap and sell for some cash.....or dont bother....labor will be a bitch if you go to a shop

Originally posted by formby@Jan 11 2005, 02:17 PM
your best bet is to sell the car for parts........buy the car really cheap and sell for some cash.....or dont bother....labor will be a bitch if you go to a shop
[post=444224]Quoted post[/post]​

I have a place to do the work, my dad has abody shop. so even fixing a wrecked car(with less damage than what my friends has) is an option. I've always wanted a nice accord, but cant afford one right now, but i could put one together in my budget, I think but I dont know what body styles or years will work with the engine that i can get?

when I thought I wouldn't get my car back after the accident I started looking into the 03's and found that the NSX c32 (I think) would bolt in.

The tranny would be an issue but if you could get an '03 6-spd you'd just have to get an adapter plate made and it could work.

NO IT WOULD NOT BE CHEAP (my estimates for all parts was around 7000)...but it'd be fucking worth it.

as cool as that might be, the problem is I have an engine and interior out of a wrecked 03 accord, and trying to figure out what else i can put it in besides another 03. i dont have a good body, to put the nsx engine.

Your best option is to find a stolen/theft recovery accord from +03 and transfer everything over. The C30 engine in the accords are filled with electronics that would make transfering parts over to a newer car difficult. The 03 acccord and higher also has computer fuctions similar to the soon to be out ON BOARD DIAGNOSTICS 3 (A.K.A. OBD3) version to implemented into all 2007 vehicles. If you intend to build a car for yourself, the above option seems the best to me.

Sincerely, your American Honda technician ~ LoL

Originally posted by MXDesa@Jan 12 2005, 10:38 AM
Your best option is to find a stolen/theft recovery accord from +03 and transfer everything over. The C30 engine in the accords are filled with electronics that would make transfering parts over to a newer car difficult. The 03 acccord and higher also has computer fuctions similar to the soon to be out ON BOARD DIAGNOSTICS 3 (A.K.A. OBD3) version to implemented into all 2007 vehicles. If you intend to build a car for yourself, the above option seems the best to me.

Sincerely, your American Honda technician ~ LoL
[post=444582]Quoted post[/post]​

thanks, that's helpful. that's what I'm hoping to find, but I dont know even where to start looking for a theft recovered car other than ebay?

Try state held auctions, make a call to your precient (sp?) and see if they can assist you in a lead to areas where stripped cars are sent to be put out of commission, etc...

damn, i think a 93 or so 2 door would be sweet with that V6 and the leather interior in it.

yea yea i just realized htis thread is freakin old, o well

yeah, I'd either go the theft recovery route or just sell what you have. There are plenty of complete nice Accords for not too much, just a little older.

the 98-02 accord v6's were j30's, the 95-97 v6's were c27's, and i'm pretty sure that in 03, all they did was add higher compression and more agressive cams to the j30 to boost the horsepower from the previous 200hp to 240hp. so, the engines are practically the same from the outside from 98-05 if i'm not mistaken. as far as obd, i have no idea.

Back