1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

act vs. exedy clutch

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by indeskater, Jul 29, 2003.

1. indeskater

indeskater Member

i have found exedy clutch kits on ebay for about 150.00. has anyone installed one?
    why should i not by an exedy clutch?

also, should i get a lightened flywheel?
    my friend said you can burn up bearings easy with a lightened flywheel.
    true?

2. SixtySecondAssassin

SixtySecondAssassin Senior Member

i have one and i like it alot. at 150 thats a steal.

3. jeffsciv23

jeffsciv23 Senior Member

i got one of those exedy clutches from ebay (user was eclutchmasters.com) for $95 about three months ago and am already replaceing it. so if you want one that will last until you buy an ACT then go for it but i would not reccomend buying one to keep for a while.

4. venom22

venom22 Member

JEFFSCIV23 If your replacing your's after 3 months than you cant drive. I dont care what brand it is. Exedy is a great clutch I have a stage 2 racing in mine right now and its been in for about 6 months and its still going hard and i give it hell. But you have to remember the ones on ebay for $150 are like stock they are not staged like stage 1,2or3 they just replace stock with new so there just cheap thats why they cost $150 bucks. I got mine from www.groupbuycenter.com
    for $250 and thats a stage 2 and it holds 275-300hp and like I said its holdng up fine. My buddies all had act and clutch master and I was the only one with exedy and I let them drive mine and they switched to exedy. So that should tell you something. I mean when you look at import magazines all the skylines and supras and 300zx's have what ????????? Exedy clutches. I never paid attention till I got mine but look and see. I think its a great clutch. :D

5. blink1_8_2dude

blink1_8_2dude Senior Member

ive got an EXEDY full face racing clutch and is the bomb diggity!!!!!

6. SixtySecondAssassin

SixtySecondAssassin Senior Member

7. 2fastCRX

2fastCRX Senior Member

8. civicious

civicious FüK-VTEC VIP

exedy is the bomb diggity....those are the exact words that Jake at Outlaw Motorsports in Dallas used when i bought my clutch from him....thats twice this week that i've heard "exedy" and "bomb diggity" used in the same sentence....

freaky

9. jeffsciv23

jeffsciv23 Senior Member

the so called "exedy" clutch that i got was definitley not the bomb diggity. i ordered my ACT clutch and flywheel today so no more POS slipping ass burnt up clutch. i've probably been driving longer then you've been walking.

10. BigJ

BigJ I'm just about that action Boss. VIP

You probably didn't breakthe clutch in did you? My step brother didn't break his in, and yeah kept popping burn outs and shit, yeah 3 months later the exedy will wear out. My suggestion, next time, take it easy on the clutch for a good break in period.

11. jeffsciv23

jeffsciv23 Senior Member

i told myself i was gonna take it easy on it for about 3 to 500 miles or so but some ass clown was acting stupid so i had to shut him up. this time i will ignore all stupid people in slow cars until it's broken in.

12. blink1_8_2dude

blink1_8_2dude Senior Member

13. pills_PMD

pills_PMD Super Moderator

my exedy is money so far...

14. lsvtec

lsvtec GNU/Linux Evangelist

So what you are saying is that you did not follow the directions provided to you by exedy? Then your opinion is less than worthless. Everyone here that has followed the instructions provided by Exedy for installation and break in has a clutch that is running strong long after 3 months. Next time think before you spout off about a product sucking. If the product is broken because you did something stupid then don't post that is sucks.

15. dohcvtec_accord

dohcvtec_accord WRX Sellout

16. jeffsciv23

jeffsciv23 Senior Member

there weren't any instructions that came with mine. i will still never buy an Exedy clutch again.

17. lsvtec

lsvtec GNU/Linux Evangelist

That is fine, but your case is but an isolated incident. It is not worth me basing my clutch descision on. I am not trying to convince you to buy an Exedy clutch again, only informing those that might consider it of the full story, not just "My Exedy clutch quit working after 3 months" but "My Exedy Clutch quit after 3 months but I did not follow the proper breakin procedures so the problem is most likely my fault not build quaility".

If one were to look hard enough or even ask an Exedy dealer one could find instructions for installation and break in.

18. kingwilly

kingwilly Senior Member

exedy clutches are one of the best for japanese cars..that guy with the problem on his was probably bad install or bad driving..dont go and try to do burnouts and shit right after you put the clutch in..im sayin that cuz ive burned out a few clutches doin that..not worth it

19. dohcvtec_accord

dohcvtec_accord WRX Sellout

In the days of the internet (and hell, even the phone), not having instructions come in the box is a very poor excuse.

20. sohcslammer

sohcslammer Senior Member

Unless this guy put his clutch in himself, (which I DOUBT) any respectable shop will tell you when they hand you back your car to take it easy for 500 miles. And if he did put in his own clutch, he should DAMN well KNOW to break it in. Either way... :nutkick:

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted