act vs. exedy clutch

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i have found exedy clutch kits on ebay for about 150.00. has anyone installed one?
why should i not by an exedy clutch?

also, should i get a lightened flywheel?
my friend said you can burn up bearings easy with a lightened flywheel.
true?

i got one of those exedy clutches from ebay (user was eclutchmasters.com) for $95 about three months ago and am already replaceing it. so if you want one that will last until you buy an ACT then go for it but i would not reccomend buying one to keep for a while.

JEFFSCIV23 If your replacing your's after 3 months than you cant drive. I dont care what brand it is. Exedy is a great clutch I have a stage 2 racing in mine right now and its been in for about 6 months and its still going hard and i give it hell. But you have to remember the ones on ebay for $150 are like stock they are not staged like stage 1,2or3 they just replace stock with new so there just cheap thats why they cost $150 bucks. I got mine from www.groupbuycenter.com
for $250 and thats a stage 2 and it holds 275-300hp and like I said its holdng up fine. My buddies all had act and clutch master and I was the only one with exedy and I let them drive mine and they switched to exedy. So that should tell you something. I mean when you look at import magazines all the skylines and supras and 300zx's have what ????????? Exedy clutches. I never paid attention till I got mine but look and see. I think its a great clutch. :D

exedy is the bomb diggity....those are the exact words that Jake at Outlaw Motorsports in Dallas used when i bought my clutch from him....thats twice this week that i've heard "exedy" and "bomb diggity" used in the same sentence....

freaky

Originally posted by venom22@Jul 29 2003, 09:38 PM
JEFFSCIV23 If your replacing your's after 3 months than you cant drive.

the so called "exedy" clutch that i got was definitley not the bomb diggity. i ordered my ACT clutch and flywheel today so no more POS slipping ass burnt up clutch. i've probably been driving longer then you've been walking.

You probably didn't breakthe clutch in did you? My step brother didn't break his in, and yeah kept popping burn outs and shit, yeah 3 months later the exedy will wear out. My suggestion, next time, take it easy on the clutch for a good break in period.

i told myself i was gonna take it easy on it for about 3 to 500 miles or so but some ass clown was acting stupid so i had to shut him up. this time i will ignore all stupid people in slow cars until it's broken in.

Originally posted by jeffsciv23@Jul 31 2003, 12:07 AM
i told myself i was gonna take it easy on it for about 3 to 500 miles or so but some ass clown was acting stupid so i had to shut him up. this time i will ignore all stupid people in slow cars until it's broken in.

So what you are saying is that you did not follow the directions provided to you by exedy? Then your opinion is less than worthless. Everyone here that has followed the instructions provided by Exedy for installation and break in has a clutch that is running strong long after 3 months. Next time think before you spout off about a product sucking. If the product is broken because you did something stupid then don't post that is sucks.

Originally posted by lsvtec+Aug 1 2003, 11:36 AM-->
jeffsciv23
@Jul 31 2003, 12:07 AM
i told myself i was gonna take it easy on it for about 3 to 500 miles or so.

So what you are saying is that you did not follow the directions provided to you by exedy?

there weren't any instructions that came with mine. i will still never buy an Exedy clutch again.

That is fine, but your case is but an isolated incident. It is not worth me basing my clutch descision on. I am not trying to convince you to buy an Exedy clutch again, only informing those that might consider it of the full story, not just "My Exedy clutch quit working after 3 months" but "My Exedy Clutch quit after 3 months but I did not follow the proper breakin procedures so the problem is most likely my fault not build quaility".

If one were to look hard enough or even ask an Exedy dealer one could find instructions for installation and break in.

exedy clutches are one of the best for japanese cars..that guy with the problem on his was probably bad install or bad driving..dont go and try to do burnouts and shit right after you put the clutch in..im sayin that cuz ive burned out a few clutches doin that..not worth it

In the days of the internet (and hell, even the phone), not having instructions come in the box is a very poor excuse.

Unless this guy put his clutch in himself, (which I DOUBT) any respectable shop will tell you when they hand you back your car to take it easy for 500 miles. And if he did put in his own clutch, he should DAMN well KNOW to break it in. Either way... :nutkick:

Back