Acura/Honda Air Bag Warning

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dave Lardie

I recently purchased a 2004 Acura TSX. Less than one month later, I was driving through a construction zone in southern PA on my way to Fla. In the construction zone, I ran over some debris (approximately one to two inches high) that was in my driving lane. As soon as the right front tire (passenger side) hit this debris, the side curtain air bags, and the passenger seat air bag deployed- striking my son on the right shoulder. I wasn't able to pull over for at least 10 miles, but, when I could, I pulled off the highway, and contacted the PA State Police. A trooper came, took my report, examined the car, and indicated that there should be no reason that the air bags deployed under this senerio.

It gets worse.

When I got to Florida, I went to an Acura dealer. The service dept. sent me to the body shop, the body shop sent me back to service because they felt it was a service issue, not a collision issue. I also spoke with Acura Customer Service, and filed a complaint with the National Highway Saftey Board. When I re-contacted the service department several days later, they refused to examine the vehicle because I had a "collision" and it was an insurance issue, not a service issue. When I called Acura Customer Service number, they told me they would not speak with me until my insurance company was involved.

Well- 8 weeks later, Acura stiull refuses to look at the vehicle, and my insurance company says they will pay my claim, but charge me with a collision!

Here's why the air bags went off. The debris spun off the tire into the floorboard directly under the passenger seat. I have also found out that there are airbag sensors near this area, so, it wasn't a side collission, coupled with "rapid deceleration" (as the manual states on Page 49), it was a piece of crap lying on the highway which set them off.

So- if anyone out there has the TSX model (and I believe the RSX, Honda Accord and Honda civic use the same airbag system), your airbags may deploy under the same circumstances as mine did.

If anyone out there has had a similar problem with airbag deployments (other than from a collision), please let me know. There's hundreds, if not thousands of these cars on the road, and I have to believe I'm not the only one with this problem.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Dave Lardie

I have plenty of pictures of the vehicle's exterior, which shows no damage to the vehicle.

Get a lawyer to contact Acura. I have worked on Mercedes where the airbags did not deploy (and should've) and a technician from Mercedes came and took various measurements, pictures and recorded data from the SUV's "black box" for their own use in R&D for airbags and other restraint systems. I'm sure Honda also has a similar position with someone who investigates these cases.
The shop is probably trying to cover their ass just incase this goes to court and there is a dispute as to whom will be paying the deductable/damages etc.

Back