acura integra manual transmission fluid

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

slowboyy

my buddy told me i had to go to acura and get 3qts of manul trans fluid is this true or can i buy some from a local parts store(1997 acura integra ls)

Disagree... sort of. Use GM synchromesh transmission fluid with friction modifier. Awesome stuff in Honda transmissions, but it will cost you twice as much as Honda MTF. You should only need 2 quarts too. If in doubt, look it up in your owner's manual.

On the other hand, if you aren't having any problems with your transmission now, don't switch from the MTF if you're not sure about going to the synchromesh. As a data point, I'll just tell you that I don't buy MTF at all.

I've been using Amsoil 0w20or30 (full synthetic motor oil) in mine for over 10yrs and only change it around every 5 or so.. It's usually 3-5x the change interval of petrolium base.
Actually My 92 accord had 111k on it when bought, It's now around 190 and only changed it once in 7yrs, and still shifting wonderful. My other cars usually get sold before I change it out.

E

Very nice. I change out my GM synchromesh every 15-20k miles. It's probably more often than needed, but that interval has always worked for me.

my sudgestion is royal purple syncromax or GM syncro mesh. On a side note this is a trick that i have learned over the years that will help keep your trans alive.

Drain and fill per the normal procedure then install the plug once its full remove vent cap and add 1/2 qt more thru the vent hole. This will raise the fluid level up higher providing more lube to 4th and 5th gears and most importantly keep the Input bearing lubed and help keep it from failing which is a very comon problem in a honda transmission.

When ever i build a performance transmission for some one i actually weld in a new fill plug at the fluid level that i prefer and this seams to keep them alive much longet in high hp cars so it has to help with your DD

Back