Adding a switch to power door lock actuator

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Actually this thread and is flooded with confusing information. Looking at it now I forgot what's going on.

Please specify factory door locks or aftermarket actuators. They're wired differently.

The factory has 3 wires. Lock ground, Unlock ground, and constant 12V. The switch momentary touches 12 volt to either side. No relays are required to hook this up to an alarm. Some DEI alarms have two wire outputs, and some have 5 wire outputs. Two wire is obvious. On the 5 wire harness, ground the black/white (its for your dome light) ground the purple wires, white, and brown, and use the blue and green for the door locks. Green is lock, blue is unlock. All these wires have black stripes I believe.

If the factory switches don't work, you need to fix them before the alarm will work.

Aftermarket actuators are different. Most good alarms have onboard door lock relays so you just connect the two wires to the alarm. If they don't have onboard relays, you need two SPST automotive relays or a DEI 451M (which I gave you the wiring info in the above paragraph). If you want to do relays let me know.

The driver's side door needs to be either closed or the handle lifted for the door lock/unlock to work.

Are you sure the output on the fuse box is constant 12v? Verify it with a voltmeter. Also be sure to use an inline fuse of around 15A when you tap off this wire. You can use one output to power two relays if need be.

Back