1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding Hp To D16y7

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by slow_bullet, Jan 10, 2003.

1. slow_bullet

slow_bullet Junior Member

I have a 98 Civic CX HB. It has a D16y7 engine, I know that's not the best but not looking for a whole lot. My goal is 200hp. Is this possible ? What do I do first ? I have the money for a Turbo and or Nitrous but don't wanna blow this engine. I already installed most of the bolt-ons, Header, AEM CAI, Full Vibrant Exhaust, MSD Ignition, 9.3 Wires. Sounds and looks fast but ... still getting beat up by Fords and Chev's. I spent most of my time and $ on body and interior, Avenger Wings West Body Kit, Altezza Tailights, Projector Headlights, 2 12" Kaption SPL subs, 1000D class Crossfire Amp, Cerwin Vega IT series Mids & Tweets, Crossfire Amp with those. All kinds of show now looking for some go. Can you help me ... and don't say swap. lol

2. prawjEKt Cx

prawjEKt Cx Senior Member

yeah.... if you get 200 hp outta that i'll shit... drive that motor for gas milage (i know i am right now), save your money, sell your system, and throw away your altezzas....

3. doofnoil

doofnoil Senior Member

4. Dr.J.

Dr.J. Junior Member

Hello,

Getting to 200hp (I assume crank) is difficult with this motor.

How fast do you want to go? You have a lightweight car (2300 lbs), so you don't need the 200+hp that a Integra/Prelude would need to do good, respectable, low 14s, but still it is a difficult climb!

Easiest way: Jackson Racing SC would give you a good high 14s/low 15s in the quarter mile ($2500)

Only way for more than that:
    "Make" a EX-like exhaust - buy an aftermarket (DC, etc.) header/exhaust and high flow cat back (you will be moving the cat to the position it is in the EX to lengthen your exhuast runners) and new O2 sensors. (~$800.00)

Get a D16Y8 head and intake manifold (~$200 on eBay) along with a cold-air intake ($200.00). Now your're at high 15's.

Add the SC ($2500). Now you are at mid 14s with a good set of tires and good launching skills.

See, nearly $3000-to $5000 to go stock 4.6-5.0L Mustang fast?

If you want 200hp, you either must swap or sell your car and get something closer to your goal...

Best of luck,

Michael

5. randerson165

randerson165 Senior Member

so what will adding a D16y8 head to a D16Y7 engine do. I have the same engine in my g/f's car and I have an extra D16Y8 Head ? Is it pretty easy to swap (i don't know too much about engines) ?

6. prawjEKt Cx

prawjEKt Cx Senior Member

well no better time to practice, on your girlfriends car

7. H0ndap0w3r

H0ndap0w3r Banned

talk to knowledge, the guy with the greddy banner in his thing. or a smallsol. either or should be able to tell you. but it is possible to get 220 whp, greddy turbo and good tuning. theyll tell you all bout it.

8. zueke

zueke Senior Member

Knowledge and Asmallsol do know about turbos, and they talk about getting over 200 hp at the wheels on a greddy turbo kit. The difference is that they are talking about the 5th gen, D16Z6 engine. The difference between the Z6 and the Y7 is regular and VTEC cams. You should be able to get nearly 200 hp at the wheels out of a Y7 I would imagine, but if not then swap on the Y8 head.

9. cws13

cws13 Senior Member

If you have money for a turbo then you can pull of an LS swap for now. Used LS tranny, motor, and ECU will run for about 800. THis will set you up for a Hybrid down the road. Also, you will have more HP and TQ than a Jackson kit will give you, with more reliability. You can get what you want with that motor with the Greddy kit and intercooler but don't bother. The glass ceiling will be hit, not tomention that you will eat SOHC trannies (trust me I know, mine been out 6 times now)

10. SolReaver

SolReaver Senior Member

ehh- good luck gettingn 220 whp on the greddy kit. Especially with a motor that only puts out 85-90 whp stock. The SOHC greddy kit sucks ass, believe me, i had one on my d15b7. It was weak. Those tiny td04 turbos max out at 15 psi, and even then they are making too much heat to have good power.

Haha...What the hell are you gonna tune with the greddy kit? The FMU? LOL

I *highly* doubt the greddy kit, running full boost (even though the motor wont handle it) will make 220 whp. Prove me wrong.

Besides- The greddy kit is not complete. It comes with just enough for you to run 5-6 psi, which should set you around 130 whp on your sohc. That is enough to run low 15's.

Add the greddy intercooler-600
    Type S BOV- 200

The greddy kit is good if youre happy with running mid-high 14's. The best i could pull out of my sohc/t with a spearco inter cooler on 6.5 psi was 14.96. It typically ran low 15's though.

Thats not even mentioning how weak all the d series components are.

If you want to go fast, and not break trannies every 2 weeks, get a b series swap. It will be cheaper, have more potential, more reliable, less headache in the end.

11. jeffie7

jeffie7 Wrong Whole! VIP

12. knowledge

knowledge Senior Member

Wow. Thats how I want my D16Z6/T set up. :eek: :worthy:

13. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

holy rice mobile batman

cx motor making 200 horse- doubtful.

your best bet is do a y8 head swap and throw on a 100 shot. that MIGHT make you 200 flywheel horse.... if you don't blow up first. a 50 shot is more reasonable

14. ztj00civiclx

ztj00civiclx New Member

my d16y7

i have a d16y7 non v-tec and its go some mods like front mount running cold air, full exhaust, header, fuel regulator, raditator and thats about it and i has beat 2 turboed eclipses and 1 n/a ita pretty fast and there is other mods on the outside but she moves pretty fast so 16y7 are engines that can be built and that are fast so mod it out and i beleive you could get close to 200 hp. also a Volo chip can help and also something to regulate your air fuel ratio

15. B16MJHatch

B16MJHatch New Member

ztj00civiclx-before someone else smashes you up here. Look at the dates of the posting, this thread is from 2003...

16. ztj00civiclx

ztj00civiclx New Member

oh

oh hey thatnks now if feel stupid but maybe you can help me out i need some advice on engine work. what i want to do is a full fuel system air and igintion with apexi and turbo timers is that a good idea

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted