Adding second OS

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JDMPlaya

How do I install Windows server 2003 on my pc so I can boot to either XP or server?

Do I have to reformat again? I figured it was going to be easy enough to boot from the CD and select a partition for it to install on.. but It says I only have a 8MB unpartioned space available but for windows use only..

the 8mb space... is a windows fuck up. 99.452423% of windows installs leave an 8mb space for some reason.

what you need to do is make a new partition.

wihtout formatting your current shit, you will need a program like partition magic. you can then take some free space and make it a new partition.

then, boot up to the 2k3 disc, and install it on the new partition.

this should edit your boot.ini setting. if it doesn't, start->run-> msconfig
and then you can edit your fast detect boot to show a screen on boot up for 30 seconds to pick which os, and which is default if no option is selected

PM8 is :thumbsup: we use acronis at work. it installs a boot loader on the MBR, and you can also set it so either OS can or cannot see each other. this is good incase you want to make your XP boot a "backup" and obviously make a 3rd partition (or a 2nd HDD) so you can share files between the 2 OSses :)

okay cool PM8 worked awesome.. only thing is.. I got all these legal copies of win2k3, sql server 2000, MS Project pro, XP 64, VS.net from my university..

but there is no CD key.. is there any way to retreive this info from a CD?

Can I call microsoft to get it?

legit as in yours? the whole glam-cd deal? :p

there is no licensing info stored on the cd.

Back