1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adjusting Or Setting Back Milage!

Discussion in 'ECU's, Electronics, and Tuning' started by asdf, Mar 25, 2003.

1. asdf

asdf Junior Member

Hey guys, well i found this GSR, i was talkin about it in the swap threads cuz its got a frankenstein swap on it. Well i wanted to know if there is ways to mess with the odometer, cuz this buy claims to only have 13500 on the car, and thats what the odometer reads, but he had the Gauge cluster replaced with the TYPE R cluster, the one with red numbers and orange needles. So if he replaced that, doesnt that just give you a whole new odometer reading??? or is the odometer stored in some sort of computer storage and when you plug the new cluster in, it automatically the new odometer to its TRUE milage???

Hope this makes sense?

Also he had the frankenstein done at Spark Motorsports in Southern Cali. anyone here about these guys, Should i ask for any paper work on the swap?? Is it honor system for the actual milage on the B20b, or will this be documented somewhere???

Thanks for all your help!!!

2. TRuggiero_

TRuggiero_ Senior Member

I'd say no. As a matter of fact it's illegal to switch guage clusters because your tampering with the odometer. Like anyone cares about that stupid law. But I can almost assure you that's not the true mileage of the car. There is no other way to see the mileage other than an untampered odometer. if your really good with motors and have seen a lot, you might be able to tell how many miles are on it. Like a ballpark figure though. What kind of franky does a GSR motor have?

3. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

Incorrect. It's illegal to tamper with your gauge cluster, but it is legal to change it out. Legally, you're supposed to declare the difference in mileage through a title renewal or update. You can always swap out the odometer units between your old cluster and your new also, but NEVER try to roll the mileage back.

4. civichbgsr

civichbgsr Member

all motor monster. did u get my message?

5. Vexamus

Vexamus Member

Actually, you can change your odo reading all you want, what's illegal is trying to sell the car or get insurance based on that modified number. THAT's what's illegal. I know this because I researched it before building my digital cluster(not installed yet). When I do install it, it will read 0miles, but I have to keep a tally for insurance. It's not illegal to swap or modify them, just try to sell or get insurance with the new values.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted