Advancing Timing

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Viperlocc_B18C1

My timing was set at 20degree's on accident so i put it down to 15 (stock is 16 on my GSR) and i want to advance because i did noticed it got slower. People were saying i can blow the motor at 20degree's so im thinking of 18degree's. anyone have any experience on this?

Originally posted by Viperlocc_B18C1@Apr 13 2003, 04:40 AM
My timing was set at 20degree's on accident so i put it down to 15 (stock is 16 on my GSR) and i want to advance because i did noticed it got slower. People were saying i can blow the motor at 20degree's so im thinking of 18degree's. anyone have any experience on this?

to be on the safe side:set the timing at 16 then advance 2 degrees on intake side and -1 degrees on exhaust side. good for daily driving. best bet is take it on the dyno. dynos don't lie.

timing? . . . . . WHAT TIMING YOU FUCKTARD RICERS?!?!?!?!?!

ignition timing . . . you are sending spark to your spark plugs at 16 degrees before top dead center

cam timing . . . adjusting the time when the cams or cam open and close the valves according to top dead center

note: tdc is 0 degrees

thanks, sorry for the explosion

and THATS why i said i dont have adjustable cam gears and i have a timing gun.
and THATS why i said i was going to move the distributer forward hence advancing the timing.
read it all before posting.
and i do take offense for you calling me a ricer due to the fact that there is NOTHING ricy on my hatchback. look in my other post and youll see some pictures of the beast...ran 13.5 on street tires

you can run 13's, but dont have adjustable cams? :bash: 180 bucks will get you 2 skunk2's...then you can rotate the cam gears, not the distributor.

yes, done it the long harder way than the cam gears. i will be buying adjustable cam gears but not until i start my new shift's at work.
i am plannin on turboing my hatch with the drag 3 kit

but back to the topic..what is a good setting for advancing?

the only real way to know for sure is to do your tuning on a dyno other than that it's guess and go drive, as if you can really tell anyway.

you guys are retarded, just answer his question ..... advance your timing to 18 degrees. you dont need a dyno for that, obviously your gonna need a dyno to tune the cam timing with cam gears but that wasnt his question

Originally posted by FerioVtec94@Apr 17 2003, 01:54 PM
you guys are retarded, just answer his question ..... advance your timing to 18 degrees. you dont need a dyno for that, obviously your gonna need a dyno to tune the cam timing with cam gears but that wasnt his question

thats all i needed thx

Back