Advice for my next purchase...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jamesA

Thank you for your business.
VIP
So I bought a used Toro Mower from a friend of mine that mulches or bags. It's made a world of difference when I'm mowing (as it's a walk behind too) :D Now I need an edger and/or weed whip, or a combination of the two. (weed eater, whatever it is you call it)

Anyone have any brands I should look for/stay away from? I was thinking Stihl. Also, whats better a gas or an electric? I'd save money in the long run with an electric, but I also do NOT have any outlets on the outside of my house (It's old). With a gas, I think I would be able to finish getting things trimmed down quicker, but then I have to consider the extra weight I'm lugging while I'm already burning up from mowing.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

128l-2e4f2dea.png

HUSQVARNA 128L - Trimmers

Gas. I would stay away from the cheapy brands like Poulan, etc.

I have a Deere with a brush cutter attachment and it's going strong after 10 years of use. I would say Echo or Stihl or whatever you can find at the big boxes.

I have Black& Decked electric edger and weed eater.. work fine for me.. got them cheap too
Craftsman 6.75 hp mower

they have 4 stroke string trimmers out now too, for a price

i would avoid electric, cause it will end up taking you twice as long to run the cord out and drag it all over the place with you, and worrying about not chopping it in half.
i don't "think" there is that much weight savings vs going with a 2 stroke gas job
the worst kind of string trimmer is one that doesnt have enough power so you have to wait for it to wind up before you can cut anything, and then have to go real slow with it
i'd prob call your local small engine shops, or power equipment shops and see if they have anything used for a reasonable price

always been a fan of stihl
poulan = planned failure

I got a Toro mower too! We've had it for maybe 8 years and that thing still starts on the first pull! Only issues though was the pull cord was rubbing against the bag and eventually the line snapped, but the newer models shouldn't have this problem. Another issue is the cable for the drive transmission(I don't know what it's called) broke; I haven't replaced it yet.

I have a Ryobi 4-stroke gas trimmer. ;) It's the one with the interchangeable accessories but I only use the trimming head, though the "bump" piece breaks off after a while. The one I have is the older model; no other issues yet.

Last edited:
I have a Toro weed trimmer that you can change the head accessories on. As of right now I only use it for trimming. I used to have a hand me down battery one. The only reason that I got rid of it was the fact that I have a lot of trimming to do at my house and I would eat both batteries. So I would say get which ever fits your needs. My Toro starts first pull almost every time.

so ryobi, husqvarna and stihl are the ones I should check out. I am leaning more toward 4 cycle gas powered.

i personally would take ryobi off your short list there
totally different class than husq and stihl in my opinion

and safety glasses, buy AND USE safety glasses.
those string trimmers have a real tendency to throw sticks, grass, rocks, dirt, etc right into your eye
and if you have a line feed problem make sure you turn the trimmer off
and don't get suckered into buying one of the flex blades or other gizmo for the trimmer head
the string works well, without that "is this going to grenade and fill my legs with shrapnel" feeling.
also, don't use metal wire in place of string, don't ask....

the bottom line, its a trimmer.....unless this is for industrial use, i would not worry about it to much.

Is the WORX Cordless the on that is on TV? If so that thing sucks as sfor a medium to big size yard

the bottom line, its a trimmer.....unless this is for industrial use, i would not worry about it to much.
working with commercial power equipment ruins you for life
commercial string trimmer for a golf course makes me shake my head at anything else
but now that i need to buy one for my own home, i'm shaking my head at the price tag
its a no win

even the "messy 2 cycle" mixture isn't a big deal. I mix it once a year and it's more than enough. What I don't use I put in my moms snow blower.

I have a small yard. takes 15 min to mow it all. lol

Is the WORX Cordless the on that is on TV? If so that thing sucks as sfor a medium to big size yard
I have ~.32 acres and it works fine.

did my whole hill against the river, the mail box, the power box, and my fence line, patio, and deck areas and still had full power.

I have ~.32 acres and it works fine.

did my whole hill against the river, the mail box, the power box, and my fence line, patio, and deck areas and still had full power.

my dad has one, you have seen his yard he can't make it through it with that thing, it has lots of horrible reviews as well online

im with recked, avoid Ryobi. my parents own one, and theres always something wrong with the damn thing. as Kevin stated, the "bump" to release more line either breaks or jams all the time.

also, never trim in shorts :rolleyes: though there may be a guard, it doesnt stop half of the shit that goes flying. it will tear the living hell out of your legs.

Back