Advice on a home for my d15z1

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hunterhound

I have a d15z1 engine and I am having a hard time finding decent quality hb's, either dx, cx or vx models. My question to the forum would be to rank the following options in regards to fuel effieciency and ease of the swap. By ease of the swap, I mean will I need extra stuff like mounts, wire harness, etc, or will be an easy, use what you have swap. These are the options I am thinking about, please comment on any or all and give your pros and cons.

92-95 DX, CX or VX.....I know the CX and VX would have the best mpg and the gears are more in tune for efficiency. What do I loose with a DX other than weight?

92-95 2 dr civic coupe....I have a butt load of these available in great condtion. What do I loose in mpg and is this an easy swap?

88-91 CRX....Of course the HF is hard to find, would any other model suit my needs.

I know I need to stick with a standard trans. Will any of the above models' stock trans. fit the z1? Also, do I have to limit myself to the years above, i.e. what about a 88-91 hb, will the z1 fit that properly?
Thanks for any and all help, let me have it!

Well, you'd have to wire in the 5-wire O2 in all of them except the VX(which has a Z1 anyways).

Yes, all the those transmissions will fit a Z1. Yes, a Z1 will fit in a 88-91 HB.

I'd vote any non-Si 88-89 hatchback or CRX; they're lighter so you'd get better MPG, and the HF transmission is similar to what the CX and VX have.

If you want the newer body style(EG); go for the CX or VX since they're lighter than the DX and Si. I'm not too sure of the differences but what I've noticed is no rear wiper, no sunroof, smaller brakes, power steering....ehh probably more but just can't think of more off the top of my head. Honestly, the difference between the DX, VX, and CX may be negligible.

Back