Advice on B16 cams

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

91EDMVTECCRX

I read the B-Series cam guide, and though it was very informative, it wasn't geared towards what I have in mind. I want to know what would be a good set of cams to put in my B16, as I plan on keeping it n/a, and I don't plan on upgrading the ecu to rev over 8200 rpm's, so I won't have to change out the springs/valves.

Basically what I'm asking is could I just buy a set of adjustable cam gears and advance/retard the timing to acheive power gains, or should I throw in...say...some Type-R cams, or some other aftermarket brand? I'll be tuning the air/fuel via an Apex'i Neo.

Last edited:
How much of a power gain do you want? You don't really define "sufficient."

Most companies' "Stage 1" offerings will do well without having to upgrade your springs and retainers- but almost all will cost you more than 500 shipped (new). Hotter cams generally won't give you much more of a power increase over the mild ones without a compression increase and/or port work. Even the mild cams will require adjustable cam gears to get the maximum benefit.

If you want to stay under $500, you'll want to look at used cams. Your best bet would be to probably look for a set of used Integra Type-R cams (usually around $300), plus a good pair of adjustable gears. Stay away from the old AEM 3 bolt gears that had flangeless screws. Most other big name gears will work decently without much risk of slippage. Used ITR cams should give you a really good bang for the buck ratio on your stock internal (I assume) B16.

I'm not looking to gain over 10hp with cams and no head work. My B16 is stock internally. I was thinking a set of Civic or Integra Type-R cams and obtaining a set of adjustable cam gears (any advice?) to advance/retard the timing as necessary while tuning the air/fuel via an Apex'i Neo.

What other possibilities am I facing, if I don't plan on doing headwork, and I don't plan on swapping/changing any of the internals?

Last edited:
If you want to use your stock valvetrain, then Type r cams are pretty good.

CTR cams is about the most aggressive cam you want to go without upgrading valvetrain. the problem isnt just the RPM, the lift matters too.

Yup. If you're looking for a stock internal cam upgrade, then the ITR or CTR cams are probably your best bet. I like the Skunk2 cam gears- they're what I had on my B block. They have 6 bolts holding everything together. There are other better choices though- look for the gears that have laser etched marks.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll be sure to take heed here shortly...

Maybe I'll post pictures afterwards?

isnt it better to go 1and1 i think itr exhaust and ctr intake cams? or th eother way around is what makes that kick?let me know if im wrong

After 2000 CTR and ITR cams are exaclty the same. Before that go with ctr cams.

Back