Advice on building a h22 for turbo

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive been waiting patiently for the right price on an engine and i have decide to go the route of buying it i guess in parts like the block and head sepreat i might be getting a h22 head for $100 and the the block is missing rods pistons and crack that block will also cost me $100 i know its more work that way but atleast i can build the motor to what I want now for my question for the block what do you guys recommend i use to replace the missing parts ive been reading some threads and alot of you say that h22 dont handle turbo pressure quite well so what rods you think i should get with out have to bore the block since ive realized its expensive on an h series for the head what parts should i get to rebuild it im going to want to add a turbo to the engine once its done and maybe later on down ther road ad some nos this engine would be going into my 91 accord ex thank you all in advance for your advice

its hard to come by an h22 crank, you will want to sleeve the block for turbo (i know its not budget friendly, but neither is buying a new motor). If you try to put forged pistons in that block with the current sleeves, the engine will die in under 1,000 miles.

The h22 also has notroriously weak ring lands. That being the case it doesnt like high boost and you dont see many turbo h22s running for more than 10k miles (if you put the boost higher than 6-8 psi even on a perfect tune).

Nitrous is a cool addition, but youre going to run into the same problem with the stock sleeves and pistons.

If you want to BUILD an h22, its gonna cost you some time and hair (cause you WILL start to pull it out). I started totaling up my build, and it would have cost me more to build my block properly and buy the turbo than it did to build mine N/A with new suspension, FD, Diff, brakes and radiator.

Not saying you should do what im doing, but it is a difficult thing to get that block running well for boost.

So what would you recommend ive been reading alot and see that thes motors spin rods and what not it doesnt have to be turbo i just want a nice string engine are h22 good for all motor set up's how reliable is the head should i get a head and maybe put in on a f22 block???

If the h22 block is pre 1998 and in perfect condition i would pick up a h23 or f22 crank and rods. match them with your stock h22a pistons or get aftermarket malhe stock compression pistons (i you are not on a budjet)and you will have a working bottom end ready for alittle boost. maybe 8 psi and a 7300rpm redline. should be really good. you can pick up the parts in forums like this one . if you use all honda parts you could spend as little as $250 and just get some bearings and you will be good. maybe a cosmic .050" head gasket to lower compression and have fun

or just boost the f22a block. that would also be fun and alittle bit saver with the iron sleeves. but the stroked h22 would make more power

f22 is a good block for boost especially with the h22 head. its a tricky proposition, but the guys on h-t (not the best group i know) seem to like that matching.

Iron sleeves also help with the bottom end, making it friendly for boost.

f20b with forged rods/pistons and P&P head with type s cams....
http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000search.cgi?what=page&item=30012

if i did not own my lsv i would build that with an h2b conversion

Quote:
The F20B isn't going to handle 12-15 psi of boost with a compression ratio of 11:1. The actuall only advantage that I can see over the H22 for boost is that the sleeves in the F20B are iron not FRM like the H22 so resleeving is not nessasary to run aftermarket pistons. Other then that it's really a give in take. The F20B has smaller valves and not as much flow as the H22's head however the head is better finished from the factory then the H22. The Cams on the F20B are better cams, milder then the Type-S but still an improvement over the H22A's cams. So it's basically pic your posion. Either way yo uaren't dropping 12psi on that engine and having it live for very long.

Last edited:
so i should go with a f22 block i have one in my 91 accord i dont know if its the original engine being that it has 229xxx miles and im not will to find out so i rather buy a used block f22 and a h22 head is that a good start andthing i should change in the block such as pistons or anything and ive read over on h-t some guy put a h22 head on a f23 block in his lude and boosted it he said something about having two oil drain lines

wierd, from what i can think of right now with out searching. putting an h22 head on an f22 block is not simple, i could be wrong.

i would not spend the money building a 290k ml engine for boost. (if not sleeving)
you can get a great NA platform (f20b) so you could save money and buy quality boost parts and not worry about head swap and all the off time. a destroked bottom end likes to rev i think the f20b is like the b16 of the f/h series.In accords an even ludes this engine is a good alternative. m2c

btw arent some h23s iron sleeved?

Thanks guys for your help i think im going to to fo withe the f22 block the f20 is kinda expensive im going to use the h22 head and now for the turbo does the pipes matter or just the turbo??

ohh i thought it needed a plate... i guess it was just for his build

it does need some kind of plate. i dont know if its exactly a plate or not but it does need something because the LS/ VTEC swap both have 1.8 DOHC head.....the h22 and f22 are both 2.2 but the h22 is DOHC and the F22 is SOHC. its also a shit load of work to get that h22 head to bolt up to an f22, everything has to be redrilled and shifted over.

and i agree with formby....rebuilding a 229k+ block for turbo isnt the greatest idea. granted you going to be rebuilding it, a block with that many miles just seems way to stressed and worn out to boost

Last edited:
im a newb at this.i got a 91 accord lx wut engine do i got.i know i cant turbo it.what parts do i need to turbo it.

im a newb at this.i got a 91 accord lx wut engine do i got.i know i cant turbo it.what parts do i need to turbo it.

please create a new thread for this question. and its not going to be a cheap process...youll probably have to burn about 2k minimum for a turbo accord.

uhmm ok shur.ima get a job but im thinking of selling it and buying a s13 and boosting the KA or maybe if i win the lotery a SR20

we are looking at resleeving our H22 block which has one iron sleeve done already` we were erroneously told we could punch the other three out to 20 thousandths inch but that gets into the FRM Making it presently useless

We will resleeve the other three with iron and go with 87 and a half or redo the block with stock sized iron sleeves and use dished 87 Wisecos or such`

The FRM is only 0.5mm so is easily bored out leaving very soft alloy which cannot take the abuse of rings on it` The block can only run
FRM sleeves with stock Prelude H22 rings and pistons` You can run certain afterMarket pistons` and hard alloy rings in H22 blocks that have had the fiber reinforced Material bored out but you do so at risk` The safest thing to do is resleeve the H22 with stock sleeves or iron sleeves` Stock sleeves need stock rings and pistons` You can boost those to low pressures if you are careful`

The safest thing to do is to use steel sleeves with forged pistons and appropriate rings` The higher the boost the beter the piston needs to be with thicker tops and lands and thicker and sturdier rings`

Besides our in progress H22 block I want to look at a F block with 87 pistons and H22 rods and a NSX crank` We should get 2400 to 2500 ccs`

to get to 400 to 600 hp what would you guys suggest for a groundup turbo kit salvaged out of local junk yards`

After years of SBC and BBC with occasional Dodge and Porsche this Honda stuff is fun and I like the stoutness of the parts` Besides having fun with #1 son is the ticket` Cya around

new thread....dont resurrect old shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back