Advice on cleaning head please.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

fionntan

Banned
I want to clean the head that I have, but I dont want to take it to a shop and pay for someone to do it. My question is can I just spray inside the ports with carb cleaner and use a tooth brush or something soft to scrub it. I dont want to take the head apart, just clean off the old grime from the previous owner.

No just in the I/E ports and the underside, not up top where the cams are. I was wondering if the ports are sealed so that the cleaner wont be able to leak through to the top of the head.

remove the cam to remove pressure on any of the valves and you should be fine

just dont use anything too potent like aircraft lol

Is there a way to clean the top part of the head without disassembling it. It is pretty grimmy and I would hate to leave it that way when everything else is going to be so clean. I talked to a shop and they gave me a quote for cleaning with or without break down, but if it can be done safely I would rather do it myself.

Sounds like you need a valve job if its 'grimmy' with carbon build up and such. To be honest...I can tell you are trying to do this the cheapest but you may do more harm then good (wasted energy and time). I would think your choices are to take the head off and give it to a machinist for a valve job/cleaning/decking with all necessary new keepers, seals, etc. Or take the head off plus all the guides, seals, springs, retainers, etc, etc and take your chances on the old stuff being okay after you clean it out and let it dry thoroughly.

Its not grimmy from carbon just old oil and dust from the garage. I am pretty sure that the head has less than 60k miles on it. The shop I spoke to said they would break it down and clean it and replace the valve seals (which I have) for $120, so I think I will just do that. Then if there are any problems the machinist will be able to tell. I like doing things for myself, but I dont have all the tools to take apart a head so I guess $120 is worth it for piece of mind.

I agree, $120 ain't too bad. Thats break down, cleaning and putting it back together....cool.
How many miles are on the head? Might want to think about a valve job too....or ask their opinion?

I am not sure how many miles, but the guy I bought the engine from said it had around 50k so I figure maybe up to 60k. He was a pretty honest guy so I believe his estimate. I was thinking that they could inspect everything during the process and let me know if anything is damaged or needs work. Yeah $120 for everything, plus they are going to hone the block for $40.

Nice.....and on another note...i saw some type r cams in Atlanta Craigslist that I been looking for....they're sold all the time in CA just need to wait a little. But if you have a need....check it out.

Its my plan. Got skunk2 cam gears...looking for type r cams...then the springs/retainers so I can install it all. then an ECU with a chip so I can tne it out for some more power. I am hoping to be in the mid 170-180whp at that point.

Back