Advice on GSR build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

gboogiect

all motor baby!!
whats up everybody? i just wanted some input and advice on if im going in the right direction with this and your opinion please. well i have a 99 SI and blew the motor so im starting my first build with a 96 JDM GSR. i have a full magna flo exhaust, DC header on there now.. but i got a Blox manifold, 70mm eidlebrock TB, aem fuel rail and FPR, crower stage 3 race cams,aem ajustable cam gears, skunk 2 springs and TI retainers, i know i need MSD box and external coil so thats next.i also am gonna be runnin a type r ecu but for now i still have the SI ECU...but my question is, is a port an polish nessesary for me, will it run alot better and stronger? aslo i want to get the P30 pistons, will that make a big difference also or do the port an polish and the pistons work together hand in hand? and any other sugestions would be appreciated..i dont want to spend too much more money, maybe around 400-500.. ;)

You know where Crower says "cylinder head modifications required"? That means porting and polishing. If you don't do that, you might as well have gotten Stage 2 cams because your engine will never be able to take advantage of the S3 profile. Your compression depends on what octane you're going to use. The port and polish will make far more power than compression alone. You won't do this cheaply. You can save money by not buying the MSD stuff that you aren't anywhere near close to needing. You'll also want to have some kind of tuning because there isn't a stock map that will run your engine without blowing it up.

Please do some reading.

yeah porting and polishing is definitly what im thinking..i just gotta find a good machine shop that will do it.. chrome is also a option for tuning, what do you think? but what your saying is it would be more benificial to run with stage 2 cams if im not gonna port and polish?? oh and i have RC injectors too, thats why i was told the MSD would be what i need to take advantage of them...with bigger cams, are bigger injectors needed to take advantage of the set up?

Chrome is for rims. Crome is for tuning. :)

Yeah, Stage 3 cams need a lot of air otherwise you won't make much over Stage 2 cams. Your injector sizing is determined by your power level. And the only reason why you need a stronger spark is in a really high compression environment, like 13:1 or more.

PortFlow, Endyn, ExoSpeed, RS Machines, JG, etc. are known for making good power.

LOL..true but crome is a good way to go then? and thanks for the advice too, thats helps me out alot. but i got one more question, so i already ordered the stage 3 cams so im gonna run with them but i dont have the cash for the port and polish at the moment so ill have to do that in the near future but in the mean time, could that have negative effect on my engine in any way?? i dont want to ruin anything by over doing it by not having the proper set up.. should i just wait until i can to the P an P to put the cams in? and thanks again, like i said youve been helpful

Ya man. +1 for the arp stuff. It also makes it a lot easier to align the head to the block.

You will NEED a tune to use those injectors because no stock map will run them. You will just end up flooding your engine.

I have my ECU tuned with Crome and so do a lot of the other guys around here. :)

You won't ruin anything, you'll just have to pull the head back off later, replace an already good head gasket, and get retuned. That'll add roughly $300 to the cost of the head work. Make sure you get ARP head studs so you can reuse them.

ok thanks for the help man you really been helpful...i also just ordered an apexi super AFC Neo, can i just tune the engine with that or do i also need additional tuning such as crome,handata,ect...?

You know where Crower says "cylinder head modifications required"? That means porting and polishing. If you don't do that, you might as well have gotten Stage 2 cams because your engine will never be able to take advantage of the S3 profile. Your compression depends on what octane you're going to use. The port and polish will make far more power than compression alone. You won't do this cheaply. You can save money by not buying the MSD stuff that you aren't anywhere near close to needing. You'll also want to have some kind of tuning because there isn't a stock map that will run your engine without blowing it up.

Please do some reading.

hey Blanco, one more thing, i been doin alot of research and tryin to learn as much as possible cuz im kinda new with this. i know that the car has a map sensor on the intake but what does it do? and whats should i upgrade to??? just a little info would be helpful too...thanks

Last edited:
Back