Advice on Swap for 86 CRX DX

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ScottM

I just got an 86 CRX DX with a weak clutch, smoking engine, and bad fuel pump. Since I have to replace the clutch anyway, I decided I'll drop another engine in as well. I've browsed the FAQ's on this site and learned a great deal since this is my first venture into imports. But one ting that I didn't see the answer to is will a ZC or domestic D16 bolt up to the existing trans? From reading, I believe the 86 DX came with the EW block, correct? If I go with a ZC, do I have to switch to an Integra trans and 3 piece axles as well? And I would need to switch to a CRX Si harness and ECU correct?

This is going to be a daily driver, but I'd like to enjoy the drive a little. Had another 86 CRX DX with an auto and it was fine, but nothing to impressive. At least this one is a stick.

Any help, advice, or recommendations would be appreciated. Yes, I'd love a 200hp iVTEC, but that's not a practical alternative for a cheap, first-timer project. Everything else I've ever built was V-8 domestics. Got rid of my big block mopar for this CRX, so I'd like to enjoy it.

Thanks in advance.

you're kinda SOL buddy

check out the first gen crx faq...

https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29805

dx is not a good canidate to start with
and there is lacking support for the first gen crx's

the 86-87 integra dohc d16a1 in a bolt in affair
or the 88-89 motor using the 86-87 distributor and ecu...

you will need to use the acura trans along with the acura axles and spindles, but you do get larger front rotors with the swap...

your best bet would be to look for a wrecked or junked integra as a donor...

i would strongly advise you switch to a newer chassis, old crx's are getting more and more expensive because parts are so rare and hard to find...

Yes it's a carb engine, so I would need the fuel system and wiring harness upgraded.

I read through the FAQ's and still had a couple questions, like would the tranny fit a ZC or D16, which thanks to you guys, I now know it won't.

So I guess now I need to start searching for parts and see if this is going to turn into a money pit to try to upgrade. Right now it's a beater, but I would really like to make it fun to drive without taking out a mortgage on the house to do it.

Luckily, there is a lot of good information on this forum, and a lot of you guys that have already done a lot more than what I'm wanting to try.

Is there a down side to using a JDM engine? I'm assuming that all the typical parts would interchange with the US counterpart and be readily available over the counter at the auto parts store, like the plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor button, etc.

Thanks for the info.
Scott

After searching the web, it would appear that finding a complete 86-87 Integra in decent condition is nearly impossible. So this is either going to escalate in difficulty and expense, or I'll end up with another lo-po original engine under the hood. Have to start scouring the junk yards...

After many days searching the net, classifieds, newspapers, auctions, salvage yards, and auto-traders, I'm having no luck finding an 86-91 5spd Integra that someone wants to get rid of for less than a grand.

I'm in central Ohio, and if anyone knows of a donor within 500 miles of me, please let me know. I'd be more than happy to hook up the trailer and go pick it up.

As you can see form the posts above, I want a donor. Don't need the engine, interitor, body panels, etc. I just want the parts to drop into the crx. Depending on the donor, I'll get the appropriate engine model. I'd like to go with a B16 or ZC, so an EFI donor would be better. But we don't always get what we want.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the heads up. I was chasing a 91 in Memphis...

It just keeps getting easier!

Now I understand why you guys said to get a newer chassis.

Back