Advice on Wheels For Civic EX Coupe

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

maxkam

I own a white '97 Civic EX Coupe with an automatic transmission. I know very little about tuning cars so I would like some advice on what sort of wheels I should buy for my Civic from people who know what they're doing (instead of a saleperson trying to unload a set of wheels with the highest profit margin). I'm not going to race this car or do anything flashy to it, well, maybe add a sensible looking spoiler. Wild one, aren't I? Something that'll add to handling and, hopefully, help with mileage and anything else. A guy told me lighter rims will help with that. I also like the appearance of white rims too. Thanks for taking the time to read this and I thank you in advance for any advice or tips you would offer.

basically performance wise you dont want anything over 15", 16" is pushing it. of course in an auto EX performance isnt really an issue lol.
alot of people like the way 17's look on a civic show wise, higher then that tends to look ridiculous on such a little car and youll start to have issues with scrubbing.
as far as tires go, ive always used yokohama and havent had any reason to stop. ive used parada, parada spec 2, and avs es 100 - having said all that i live in florida so no ice driving and little rain driving where i live.
i know alot of people here like the falken azenis.

white rims on white car = :ghey:

but whatever, its your ride.

15x6.5 or 15x7 is where it's at.

92CHB,

Thanks for the good word. Took me a few minutes to figure out what Rota's were.

micah,

Really good info . . . I'll more than likely avoid getting 16" wheels. I agree anything over 17" looks gaudy.

pissedoffsol,

Thanks for the specs. I'll be sure to send you pics of my new white wheels. :)

what no 16"s on civic??
whats a matta wit dis? ~>

AllWeatherCivic.jpg

if you live in tsunami prone areas you should look into the flood proof cold air intake like I have also (see pic)^^ :p

just pick a style you like, whatever YOU like because it's YOUR car. anyway, personally on a white car i think gunmetal wheels would look nice.

Gun Metal or black with a polished lip look sick! Go for the deep dish look to, I think it really looks nice on that particual car. A good source for wheels that are not overly expensive is wheel max. Or try Ebay, but be careful that you only buy from people with high positive feedback.

As far as wheel size, it depends on what you want. If you want fuel efficiency or race wheels go with 15. They are much lighter weight, cost less for tires and wheels, and will get you there faster. But for looks 17 or 18's look the best by far!

Originally posted by VTEC_CBR@Jan 11 2005, 02:39 AM
just pick a style you like, whatever YOU like because it's YOUR car. anyway, personally on a white car i think gunmetal wheels would look nice.
[post=444017]Quoted post[/post]​

one more thing to add. If you are not looking for expensive (ie two peice or forged) pretty much all cast wheels are created equally. They all have to pass the same rating tests, and conform to DOT approvals if they are sold in the US. With that in mind, don't buy something just because it is a "brand name" Some brand names like Ray's offer higher quality (ie two peice or forged wheels) which are much more expensive for a reason. But if you look at a set of expensive cast wheels compaired to cheeper, they are probably the same quality.

quote=dwengines,Jan 21 2005, 11:14 PM]
Gun Metal or black with a polished lip look sick! Go for the deep dish look to, I think it really looks nice on that particual car. A good source for wheels that are not overly expensive is wheel max. Or try Ebay, but be careful that you only buy from people with high positive feedback.

As far as wheel size, it depends on what you want. If you want fuel efficiency or race wheels go with 15. They are much lighter weight, cost less for tires and wheels, and will get you there faster. But for looks 17 or 18's look the best by far!

[post=444017]Quoted post[/post]​
[post=449466]Quoted post[/post]​
[/quote]

I got 16" velox vx-8r's, Gunmetal with polished lip. I get compliments all the time with them on my white hatch even from old guys :D

You have to go with what you like style, and color wise. I have 17" Kosei seneka SW on my 96 civic ex they look great but I am thinking of going with a smaller wheel for performance and handling reasons. Also the large wheels like the ones I have cut your gas mileage down a bit like 2 MPG in my experience.

anything in the range of 15x7 and 16x7. I say 16x7 because I've seen more tire choices in the catalogs. The extra width will definately help handling and anything 1lb per inch is good.

its all about what you want, a white car, would look much better with a contrasting rim, ie. gunmetal or black w/ polished lip. 15x6.5 or 15x7 or if you have money a 15x8 would all be a great rim size, perfect for what you want. honestly the ride is better and handling and performance is better than 16's and up.

i want the 95 grs fat fives in a 15x8

but as far as your rims if its just for looks def go with the gunmetal with a deep lip those look real good on white cars. dunno if youve checked it out yet but go to i wanna say tirerack.com and you can see you car with the rims of your choice

you won't be able to see a 92-95 hatch! it gives you a 96-00 hatch instead, its a load of crap.

Back