1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aem cam gear on d16y8

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by illicon2003, Nov 21, 2003.

1. illicon2003

illicon2003 Member

I put the gear on, at tdc 1, but it keeps slapping against the lower plastic cover..the engine is running ok..seems a little different driving but whatever..anyways, the bumper side of the timing belt belt is looser than the other side..I know I might have to take off the bottom belt cover, however I'd have to remove the engine mount,and would take a very long time...how could I conceivibly fix this? readjust the gear? I don't know how to do that...I really need help..thanks

2. sportlinecrx

sportlinecrx Banned

your timing belt must be off by a tooth.

adjusting the gear does not affect the slack of the belt. the gear only adjusts the cam. when you adjust the gear, the gear itself remains in the same position. only the inner hub which the cam is attached to changes.

make a mark on the belt and along the edge of the cam gear. this will give u a reference point as to where he belt was installed. loosen the belt tensioner and carefully reposition the belt one notch using your marks as a guide. be extra careful to keep the belt tensioned so it does not slip off of the lower gears! if the slack is in the front side of the belt, move it one notch towards the back.

you'll probably have to readjust the gear because now it will be at a different degree of rotation (more accurate to the markings). if it is rotated too far, the engine may stall on you. just set it back to zero if that happens and work from there. dont forget to reset your timing.

i dont think you will need to remove the lower cover unless you dont have enough clearance to pull the belt completely off the gear.

3. illicon2003

illicon2003 Member

Great, thanks so much..Im g oing to try it tommorow night, since I work this afternoon...I really appreciate your help..

4. randerson165

randerson165 Senior Member

What does reset your timing mean ?

how do you reset your timing ?

5. illicon2003

illicon2003 Member

well I was able to get it to stop slapping by adjusting the gear backward(retarting it) about 2 degrees..thanks

6. sportlinecrx

sportlinecrx Banned

it means adjusting your timing. (rotating your distributor and using a timing light) it should be done after changing the cam gear setting.

if you still need more info:
    http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-article?...article_id=3374

7. randerson165

I can't find the service connector under the dash on the passenger side. Do I need to jump this plug so that I can correct the timing ?

Also, if my timing is way off and I have no clue where "stock settings" are, is there an easy way to do this ?

8. sportlinecrx

sportlinecrx Banned

you'll need a timing light. there's no reason why your stock timing should be off unless it was changed or you installed a cam gear?

i dont know where the service connector on your car is. mine is in the engine bay on the drivers side, but i have a crx. maybe someone else here will know. in any case, there is no way to do it without a timing light (a.k.a. timing gun). you can get a cheap one for about $30. without the light, you'll never be able to see whether your timing is off or not.

9. randerson165

I have installed a cam gear and I think my timing is off. I have a timing gun but I heard you have to jump the service connector in order to get it accurate.

10. sportlinecrx

sportlinecrx Banned

yea, if you dont jump the connector, the computer will override any adjustment you try to make. maybe you sould start a new thread asking where is the service connector on a 99 civic. thats what i would do :thumbsup:

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted