1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AEM Tru-Pully

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by qtmac_mien, Jan 6, 2004.

1. qtmac_mien

qtmac_mien Senior Member

I want to buy a crank pully for my JDM B16 SIR 2 and i was wondering which AEM Tru-Pully set is best for it. I looked it up at the AEM website and they seem to have 2 different kinds. It showed that they have a pully set for the alternator and power steering and another set which is for the alternator and water pump. I was wondering which set would be best for the B16?

2. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

DONT BOTHER

pulleys do more harm than good .... find the 2 hp somewhere else

3. sportlinecrx

sportlinecrx Banned

4. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

Stop drinking sodas, take ashit, and remove spare tire, and boom.

5. 95sir

95sir Senior Member

just curious how does it sdo more harm than good? :unsure:

6. E_SolSi

stock pulleys have a harmonic balancer / dampener built into them

this reduces vibration

aftermarket ones do not have this

so the engine will experience more vibration

more vibration = more stress

more stress = dead engine

7. 95sir

95sir Senior Member

Thanks E_SolSi I was just wondering because when I put mine on I noticed a little difference in power and respons but did not notice any vibration...I am sur it will be different in motor applications

sorry for the thread jacking...

8. E_SolSi

its nothing YOU will notice
    its the internals of the engine (crank, rods, pistons, etc) that will experience the vibration

9. B16

B16 Super Moderator VIP

i had that stupid aem alt. pulley for about 6 months. in that time it killed 2 alternators, never again will i use that crap. on top of that it made no noticable difference what-so-ever, besides killing alternators.

10. JDMilan

JDMilan Senior Member

harmonic this harmonic that, here we go again..lol jk :p

may I suggest the CTR N1 pulley, oem honda piece, sorry no ac or ps available for it :)

stick with your stocker, ericks still runs it

11. StyleTEG

StyleTEG Senior Member

The AEM pulleys do not replace the crank pulley.

They are underdrive AC/PS and Alternator pulleys.

The N1 pulley does not have a harmonic dampener.

12. xj0hnx

Dude, who cares, that's right nobody, it's still a OEM Honda made and employed part, which means to works, and works good. :roll:

13. StyleTEG

StyleTEG Senior Member

Instead of getting all pissy, you should learn what the pulse dampener does. If you did, you would care.

Just because honda made one peice for a CTR, which none of us here are running, doesn't mean its great for Joe-Blows daily driver.

A D15's bearings with 9-10k miles with a pulley that didn't have a harmonic balancer.

[​IMG]

Owner installed new bearings, put a proper crank pulley back on. Tore his engine down awhile later after damaging a piston.

[​IMG]

Good as new.

14. xj0hnx

:roll: <---rolls eyes yet again, sorry dude, but if you want me to believe that a motor that see's regular high rpms at extended periods of times design flaw is a "unbalanced" pulley, it's not going to happen. For something so important, that would cause the damage you are impling, why are those motors so damn good on endurance? Maybe because the pulleys are just fine? maybe?

15. StyleTEG

StyleTEG Senior Member

Because in serious teams rebuild them after ever race.

The CTR does not come with the N1 pulley stock. The N1 pulley is one that honda puts on their RACE Civics. They are put on engines that are going to be torn down and rebuilt anyways, so the extra weight of the dampener can be saved.

Tell me this, if the pulse dampener is not important, why did honda put it on their cars in the first place?

Or maybe you can tell me that there are not shocks pulses when the cylinder fires?

Or maybe you can tell me that they balance out those shock pulses somehow else?

Just saying "they use them on enduro races" or "honda makes them" is blindly believing, instead of trying to learning how and why. Its funny that I can not only post the reasons as to why they are important, but pictures of what has happened as a result, and not only do you neglect to respond to it.. you ignore it completely.

You can keep rolling your eyes all day as a way to ignore completely what I have posted, and its just going to hurt you. What is their to lose by learning more on the subject, other than having to drop your defensive rediculing? Do you not care how our engines work? Do you want to just be told "if X company makes it, its good for every situation" and beleive it with out proof?

I don't, but maybe I am in the minority.

16. xj0hnx

No, I didn't conpletely ignore it, I saw it. It's just irrelevent, oh no, someone destroyed their D15 economotor by taking it beyond it's limits. Now I am not going to get into an extended discussion with you over the benefits or ill's of a N1 pulley, the guy was asking about AEM, and the N1 is a much better choice, dampner or not, at least it was built and designed by the people that made the motor, and that is the point.

17. StyleTEG

StyleTEG Senior Member

You still continue to ignore everything in terms of harmonic balancing/pulse dampening. While I understand the pictures are not 100% conclusive, the paragraph describing what happens in an internal combustion engine and its relevence to an external pulse dampener is plenty.

Not to mention AEM does not make a crank pulley, they only make underdrive AC/PS/Alternator pulleys.

Why?

Honda made and uses the pulley for race applications. Sounds like he has a daily driver, not a weekend warrior.

He would be better off running the underdrive pulleys, and leaving the crank pulley alone.

18. xj0hnx

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted