AEM Tru-Pully

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

qtmac_mien

I want to buy a crank pully for my JDM B16 SIR 2 and i was wondering which AEM Tru-Pully set is best for it. I looked it up at the AEM website and they seem to have 2 different kinds. It showed that they have a pully set for the alternator and power steering and another set which is for the alternator and water pump. I was wondering which set would be best for the B16?

DONT BOTHER

pulleys do more harm than good .... find the 2 hp somewhere else

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Jan 6 2004, 11:01 AM
DONT BOTHER

pulleys do more harm than good .... find the 2 hp somewhere else

Stop drinking sodas, take ashit, and remove spare tire, and boom.

stock pulleys have a harmonic balancer / dampener built into them

this reduces vibration

aftermarket ones do not have this

so the engine will experience more vibration

more vibration = more stress

more stress = dead engine

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Jan 6 2004, 08:02 AM
stock pulleys have a harmonic balancer / dampener built into them

this reduces vibration

aftermarket ones do not have this

so the engine will experience more vibration

more vibration = more stress

more stress = dead engine

Thanks E_SolSi I was just wondering because when I put mine on I noticed a little difference in power and respons but did not notice any vibration...I am sur it will be different in motor applications

sorry for the thread jacking...

its nothing YOU will notice
its the internals of the engine (crank, rods, pistons, etc) that will experience the vibration

i had that stupid aem alt. pulley for about 6 months. in that time it killed 2 alternators, never again will i use that crap. on top of that it made no noticable difference what-so-ever, besides killing alternators.

harmonic this harmonic that, here we go again..lol jk :p

may I suggest the CTR N1 pulley, oem honda piece, sorry no ac or ps available for it :)

stick with your stocker, ericks still runs it

The AEM pulleys do not replace the crank pulley.

They are underdrive AC/PS and Alternator pulleys.

may I suggest the CTR N1 pulley, oem honda piece, sorry no ac or ps available for it

The N1 pulley does not have a harmonic dampener.

Originally posted by StyleTEG@Jan 7 2004, 06:02 PM
The AEM pulleys do not replace the crank pulley.

They are underdrive AC/PS and Alternator pulleys.

may I suggest the CTR N1 pulley, oem honda piece, sorry no ac or ps available for it

The N1 pulley does not have a harmonic dampener.

Dude, who cares, that's right nobody, it's still a OEM Honda made and employed part, which means to works, and works good. :roll:

Instead of getting all pissy, you should learn what the pulse dampener does. If you did, you would care.

Just because honda made one peice for a CTR, which none of us here are running, doesn't mean its great for Joe-Blows daily driver.

Let me begin by saying that we have always called the pulley on the accessory drive end on the Honda cranks Harmonic Balancers. People never seemed to understand what we were talking about and so the word "pulley" was frequently used to avoid confusion. If you look carefully at a Honda "pulley", you'll find that it's not a single piece of metal. Typically, there's a nodular iron or steel hub and another "ring" of iron or steel surrounding it containing the belt grooves. The two parts are joined by a rubber layer, which is highly compressed and sandwiched between them. Why rubber? If you notice, many four cylinder engines over the years have used counter rotating shafts to help make the engine "feel" smoother. Reciprocating internal combustion engines and especially in-line four cylinder versions, all produce shock pulses, which are very apparent to the occupants of the car. Every engine produces a shock pulse each time an individual cylinder fires. So, in the case of the four cylinder variety, there are four large individual pulses for each 720 degrees of crank rotation. Each time there's a pulse, it causes the internal components to do a rapid acceleration-deceleration event. When you consider the mass of all the internal components and visualize all these parts stopping and starting during their reciprocating and rotating motions, the additional stress "spikes" tend to make it all the more reason for one to wonder how any of it can work for any length of time. The harmonic balancer is made with the rubber coupling so that, when the individual "spikes" occur, the inner portion may move with the crank, but the rubber connected outer ring's mass helps prevent the hub and crank from going as far or as fast during the spikes or pulses. Remember that the outer part had considerable mass, so it tends to want to stay in motion at the speed that it's traveling and that's why it can prevent excessive harsh motion by the crank and other internal parts. To put it simply, the harmonic balancer is a shock absorber for the engine and thus prevents the individual pulses from destroying everything in the engine.

A D15's bearings with 9-10k miles with a pulley that didn't have a harmonic balancer.

badmainsx.jpg

Owner installed new bearings, put a proper crank pulley back on. Tore his engine down awhile later after damaging a piston.

P8200003.JPG

Good as new.

Originally posted by StyleTEG@Jan 8 2004, 07:29 AM
Instead of getting all pissy, you should learn what the pulse dampener does. If you did, you would care.

Just because honda made one peice for a CTR, which none of us here are running, doesn't mean its great for Joe-Blows daily driver.

:roll: <---rolls eyes yet again, sorry dude, but if you want me to believe that a motor that see's regular high rpms at extended periods of times design flaw is a "unbalanced" pulley, it's not going to happen. For something so important, that would cause the damage you are impling, why are those motors so damn good on endurance? Maybe because the pulleys are just fine? maybe?

Because in serious teams rebuild them after ever race.

The CTR does not come with the N1 pulley stock. The N1 pulley is one that honda puts on their RACE Civics. They are put on engines that are going to be torn down and rebuilt anyways, so the extra weight of the dampener can be saved.

Tell me this, if the pulse dampener is not important, why did honda put it on their cars in the first place?

Or maybe you can tell me that there are not shocks pulses when the cylinder fires?

Or maybe you can tell me that they balance out those shock pulses somehow else?

Just saying "they use them on enduro races" or "honda makes them" is blindly believing, instead of trying to learning how and why. Its funny that I can not only post the reasons as to why they are important, but pictures of what has happened as a result, and not only do you neglect to respond to it.. you ignore it completely.

You can keep rolling your eyes all day as a way to ignore completely what I have posted, and its just going to hurt you. What is their to lose by learning more on the subject, other than having to drop your defensive rediculing? Do you not care how our engines work? Do you want to just be told "if X company makes it, its good for every situation" and beleive it with out proof?

I don't, but maybe I am in the minority.

Originally posted by StyleTEG@Jan 8 2004, 04:48 PM
Just saying "they use them on enduro races" or "honda makes them" is blindly believing, instead of trying to learning how and why. Its funny that I can not only post the reasons as to why they are important, but pictures of what has happened as a result, and not only do you neglect to respond to it.. you ignore it completely.

No, I didn't conpletely ignore it, I saw it. It's just irrelevent, oh no, someone destroyed their D15 economotor by taking it beyond it's limits. Now I am not going to get into an extended discussion with you over the benefits or ill's of a N1 pulley, the guy was asking about AEM, and the N1 is a much better choice, dampner or not, at least it was built and designed by the people that made the motor, and that is the point.

You still continue to ignore everything in terms of harmonic balancing/pulse dampening. While I understand the pictures are not 100% conclusive, the paragraph describing what happens in an internal combustion engine and its relevence to an external pulse dampener is plenty.

Not to mention AEM does not make a crank pulley, they only make underdrive AC/PS/Alternator pulleys.

Why?

Virtually all of the cars we make Tru-Power pulleys for come equipped with a vibration dampener mounted to the crank from the factory. Aftermarket crank pulleys require the removal of these dampeners, which are required for engine life. Their removal can cause damage to your engine over time. If the manufacturers could save on vehicle costs by eliminating this device they would have done so.

Honda made and uses the pulley for race applications. Sounds like he has a daily driver, not a weekend warrior.

He would be better off running the underdrive pulleys, and leaving the crank pulley alone.

Back