after swap car won't start

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civic00gsr

When I try to start the car it makes a high pitch whining noise. There is fuel, and you can here the pump. There is spark, and it farts from time to time (backfire). Any input would help. B16A OBD 1 in a 96 Hatch. Re-wired the distributor to use the 2 plug harness. Any info or diagrams on distributor wire harness?

:blink: is it turning over????/ whining noise coming from where??? sounds like the distributor is ur problem. make sure all of the connections are good.
:blink:

hey the high pitched whinning noise could be that you don't have compression, which means that your timing belt jumped. buy a compression tester $25 and test it. You could have belt valves. pull all the spark plugs out and take the tester from cylinder to cylinder. you need a person to help you. hook it up in a cylinder and then floor the gas and try to turn it over for 10-15 sec. The compression should be atleast 190 on a cold motor. repeat for each cylinder.

Darin

Obd1 motor in a obd2 car? Hmm..my buddy is trying to do the same thing ..he's having a lot of difficulties doing so. He cant figure the distrib. wiring and how it should go. I think that ur wiring might be wrong, if that isn't the case then something is not plugged up that should be.

The whining noise is the starter, but it doesn't sound like its supposed to be like that.. I checked the timing belt and it was ok, but one sprocket was TDC arrow pointing up and the other was at the 3 o'clock position. The Pulley was at TDC as well (notch was straight up). I did however get an engine code... 10 and 20... Now I will check compression. Thanks for the ideas and responses.

Originally posted by civic00gsr@Aug 17 2003, 04:40 AM
but one sprocket was TDC arrow pointing up and the other was at the 3 o'clock position.

Timing is out huh?

If your timing is out that far, three oclock position then your car will probably not start. Fix your timin and then try it. Mine was out 90 degrees and it wouldn't start, fixed it and it fired right up.

Back