Aftermarket Cam Gears Worth It?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

so I'm just about ready to do the jdm 96 B18C5 complete swap I bought from Nagasaki Motors. The old valve cover is pretty old and the breather hose stem that connects to the vc got broken off in transit. So I'm going to replace the timing belt and valve cover with the swap (along with the alternator belt, cap, rotor, plugs and wires). My question is are aftermarket cam gears like Skunk 2's worth it besides the added bling factor? I figure since the valve cover will be off it would be a good time to do it if I was going to. I want to stay NA all the way if this helps.

yes, adj cam gears are worth it, especially if you snag a used set for cheap. the gains become even more apparent if you go w/ performance cams.

if I get some new cam gears I want to cut the valve cover to see them. does any one know of a way to cut the crescent shape out of the valve cover at home? I figure it offers more protection and is cleaner than hacking the whole side off where the timing belt is. Ideas anyone? :huh:

Use a hole saw, but it's still going to be messy unless you have a drill press and a vise. I would recommend running one cut valve cover to tune, and one uncut one to drive.

just curious. what would the reasoning be to not run the cut one all of the time if it was cut cleanly? just so when cops look under your hood or because of fear of contamination? Do you guys think it would still be worth buying some new cam gears even if I couldn't enjoy looking at them?

just curious. what would the reasoning be to not run the cut one all of the time if it was cut cleanly? just so when cops look under your hood or because of fear of contamination? Do you guys think it would still be worth buying some new cam gears even if I couldn't enjoy looking at them?
Why buy something for $300 just to look at it?

A friend of mine had a B16A and thought he would be mad tight jdm superstreet import-tuner cool by rocking a valve cover that exposed the cam gears.

He was "the man" until a little rock got caught between the gears and he blew his motor to pieces.

really? i havent run a plastic cover on my cam gear on my honda or either of my mirages... been four years :)

I didn't say I would buy them just for looks. But if I did get a pair it would be cool to see them. I hear you on the exposed risk though. It doesn't seem as safe as keeping the whole thing sealed off. I think this is why Calesta suggested tuning with the open one and running the closed one.

I didn't say I would buy them just for looks. But if I did get a pair it would be cool to see them. I hear you on the exposed risk though. It doesn't seem as safe as keeping the whole thing sealed off. I think this is why Calesta suggested tuning with the open one and running the closed one.

Thats exactly why he suggested that - just be prepaired to re-seal your Valve Cover w/a new gasket each time you change covers.

If your car doesn't have much for mods - tune the thing once and cover it up -> no need for easy access to the gears if you dont need to adjust em :).

:yes:

But you don't need a new gasket every time- it's reusable.

I actually dropped a valve cover nut into the timing belt area once- it took an hour to get out, but if it had stayed in there, the timing belt would have self-destructed the second I cranked the engine. That's not a good thing. Imagine a rock bouncing in by some crappy chance- you don't want that.

yeah I think I've resolved to not do it right now. I'm going to install my Type R motor and see how I like it. If I'm happy with it as it is I'll just leave it alone.. It's going to be mostly stock anyways so why mess with a good thing I figure. I prolly won't even need to adjust the timing anyways.thanks for the input all..

Back