Aftermarket Exhaust db

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

seanjuan

I'm going to start this thread with the hopes that others will add to it. I have been doing a little research on the subject but it has been limited to exhausts that are in my price range, exhaust that I have had, exhaust that I have heard were "quiet"

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Thermal R&D Stealth catback system-
88 db [according to Thermal rep]

Thermal R&D Classic catback system-
92 db [according to Thermal rep]

Bosal Brospeed catback-
75-80 db [according to Bosal rep]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I have also contacted RS*R about their Ex-Mag exhaust line but have not heard back from them. I think I have some more numbers laying around my desk but it's a mess so I will try to add some more if I find them

First of all, the dB levels differ on every car and its specific setup. Secondly, what car are your tests for? And is that at idle or at a certain rpm or at peak? You gotta be more specific.

Tested on WRX:

manufacture / idle(dB) / @3000rpm(dB) / peak HP

stock / 87 / 86 / 191.8
GReddy / 94 / 92 / 200.9
M2 / 92 / 94 / 195.9
super sprint / 94 / 101 / 198
MRT Perf. / 96 / 104 / 198.9
HKS / 97 / 102 / 202.9
Cobb Tuning / 97 / 103 / 200
5 Zigen / 98 / 105 / 198.7
Apexi / 100 / 104 / 201.1
Tanabe / 101 / 107 / 197.7
Thermal / 101 / 108 / 198.3
Skunk2 / 102 / 106 / 199.3
Blitz / 104 / 103 / 200.2

Hope that helps.

Yeah, sorry I wrote the post pretty fast. Fixed.

the reason I started this thread is that a few db matter to alot of people, inlcuding me.

I had a thermal stealth exhaust for a while and although it had a nice deep tone and sounded good it was too loud for my purposes and when I had a passenger we had to raise our voices when going down the freeway.... and that exhaust is only 88db according to thermal

Does anyone know the db level on a stock exhaust in a 95 Civic DX? And what would be a good muffler that could improve my flow and keep my db's within 10 of the stock?

I just found a site that talks about dB values (for audio equipment)

The ear has a logarithmic response.
To make your amplifier sound twice as loud you must boost the power by 10 times. (+10 dB)

If you only double the power (+3 dB), then you will only just be able to detect the increase in volume.

db page

basically it says that an increase of 10db will make the sound twice as loud... you might be able to detect that, not sure though

Only problem with that is that audio amplifers increase exponentially where as a muffler does not. I am siting years of playing in a band in clubs, and being sited numberous times for violating noise ordnance. So If a cop was standing outside the club with his db reader, we had to turn it down maybe two levels to meet the 90ish db ordnance. Just saying that comparing mufflers to amps isn't that good.

I also have greddy SP, it is sweet. You can tell it's not stock, and it has a sweet tone, but it is definitely not very loud at all.

I don't care at all what is "quiet" or "comfortable" or "not can of bees" sounding exhaust because those are just opinions.
I want numbers that I can use to compare things directly

Only problem with that is that audio amplifers increase exponentially where as a muffler does not

maybe someone can expain how decibels are used for taking readings on mufflers then, I'd appreciate it

Originally posted by seanjuan@Aug 28 2003, 03:40 PM
this is just completely pointless I guess because it doesn't seem like anyone is getting my point....

I don't care at all what any of you guys think is a "quiet" or "comfortable" or "not can of bees" sounding exhaust because those are just your opinions
I want numbers that I can use to compare things directly

you are correct this is pointless
and we do get your point .... you dont get ours

the db numbers are worthless because its not all about the db level
the tone of the sound has a lot to do with it as well
is it a high pitch or low pitch tone???
is it a smooth sound or is it rhaspy???

a 90db high pitch rhaspy sound is far more "offensive" than a 100db low pitch smooth sound

the only valid way of testing exhausts to see what it will sound like on your car is to test them on YOUR car... every car is going to produce different db levels... every car will have a different tonal quality.... ive seen the same exhaust sound great on one car and sound like ass on another

every modification you do from the filter on the intake to the tip of the exhaust is going to effect the db level and tone

yup ^^^ ive heard two identical eclipses with just an intake and greddy pe exhaust, one sounded low and throaty, the other sounded alot higher

maybe you should call the exhaust companies then because we aren't your private fucking exhaust testing unit. Like anyone knows what the fuck DB their exhaust is. Call the manufacturer.

Originally posted by liquid00meth@Aug 28 2003, 03:47 PM
maybe you should call the exhaust companies then because we aren't your private fucking exhaust testing unit. Like anyone knows what the fuck DB their exhaust is. Call the manufacturer.

did you read my initial post?
Thermal R&D Stealth catback system-
88 db [according to Thermal rep]

I did contact companies and I was hoping that there might be some other people on here who had done the same and we could post the info to give people a solid starting point when looking for an exhaust for their car

I know that there are many factors involved in how loud an exhaust is and that no two cars are alike, etc.
why don't people get this pissed when people start posts about how much HP their car will make? all engines are different and there are many factors that affect the performance of an engine as well but we still through around numbers for engines and not just say that a b16 is faster than a d15 because people want numbers for stuff like that

copied from the Magnaflow website:

Question: What muffler is right for my car?

Answer: This depends on many factors.

Do you need an offset muffler?
This is where your inlet/outlet pipes are located in relation to the muffler.

Do you want a stainless steel or aluminized muffler?
The main difference between the two is the outer shell of the mufflers. Stainless steel mufflers have a polished stainless steel shell and are 100% stainless construction. Stainless steel is better looking and will never rust. Nothing looks better or lasts longer than stainless steel. The aluminized mufflers have stainless internals and necks but have an aluminized outer shell. Also, the aluminized steel has only a protective coating that, if scratched off, may rust. Both mufflers have identical internal construction and materials and both offer you a lifetime warranty and will give you that Straight-through Wide Open Performance with no restrictions. No restrictions equals better flow, and better flow equals more horsepower.

Sound of the mufflers?
The bigger the muffler, the quieter the exhaust.

inbefodalock.gif

Yeah my magnaflow is hella loud, but I did pick up a couple hp, I am guessing, felt by the one and only butt dyno!.

Originally posted by dveit@Aug 26 2003, 03:56 PM
First of all, the dB levels differ on every car and its specific setup. Secondly, what car are your tests for? And is that at idle or at a certain rpm or at peak? You gotta be more specific.

Tested on WRX:

manufacture / idle(dB) / @3000rpm(dB) / peak HP

stock / 87 / 86 / 191.8
GReddy / 94 / 92 / 200.9
M2 / 92 / 94 / 195.9
super sprint / 94 / 101 / 198
MRT Perf. / 96 / 104 / 198.9
HKS / 97 / 102 / 202.9
Cobb Tuning / 97 / 103 / 200
5 Zigen / 98 / 105 / 198.7
Apexi / 100 / 104 / 201.1
Tanabe / 101 / 107 / 197.7
Thermal / 101 / 108 / 198.3
Skunk2 / 102 / 106 / 199.3
Blitz / 104 / 103 / 200.2

Hope that helps.

:lol: :lol: i did that exact some post.. its from a mag right? usually on the back cover from GReddy.. :lol: Instead of turbo kits now, its exhaust, but i think they swithed it back to turbo kits. :lol:

Back