Aftermarket Exhaust db

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by E_SolSi+Aug 28 2003, 03:00 PM-->
@Aug 28 2003, 03:40 PM
this is just completely pointless I guess because it doesn't seem like anyone is getting my point....

I don't care at all what any of you guys think is a "quiet" or "comfortable" or "not can of bees" sounding exhaust because those are just your opinions
I want numbers that I can use to compare things directly

you are correct this is pointless
and we do get your point .... you dont get ours

the db numbers are worthless because its not all about the db level
the tone of the sound has a lot to do with it as well
is it a high pitch or low pitch tone???
is it a smooth sound or is it rhaspy???

a 90db high pitch rhaspy sound is far more "offensive" than a 100db low pitch smooth sound

the only valid way of testing exhausts to see what it will sound like on your car is to test them on YOUR car... every car is going to produce different db levels... every car will have a different tonal quality.... ive seen the same exhaust sound great on one car and sound like ass on another

every modification you do from the filter on the intake to the tip of the exhaust is going to effect the db level and tone

Thats true.. cops dont give a shit about db or exhaust.. if its an import and its loud TO HIM, hes gonna pull ur ass over and stick you with a fix it ticket.. faggots...Even if its a SAE, hes not gonna believe.. stab you with a fix it ticket, show the shop ur fucking sticker, and go pay ur $15 ticket.. example, i gunned my integra with a intake and stock exhaust system.. pulled over, was told my muffler was too loud.. pointed, explained, stock didnt care stuck me with a ticket.. told me to get it checked.. there you go

Originally posted by endlesszeal@Aug 28 2003, 09:02 PM
:lol: :lol: i did that exact some post.. its from a mag right? usually on the back cover from GReddy.. :lol: Instead of turbo kits now, its exhaust, but i think they swithed it back to turbo kits. :lol:

Yup, back of tuner mag y0! :lol:

Originally posted by Blanco@Aug 28 2003, 05:48 PM
That's because those numbers matter, the exact db rating of an exhaust doesn't. The only thing that matters is 1) it has some positive affect on the performance of your car and 2) you like the way it sounds for your purpose. An all out race exhaust isn't for you because of its volume, we've tried to point you in the right direction but you're being far too literal and stuck on numbers.

I don't think I ever asked anyone to help me choose an exhaust, I've pretty much decided on one allready based on ME doing my own research based on the characteristics of an exhaust system that are important to me

when you say that it's important for you to "like the way it sounds for your purpose" I'd just like to know how you are going to determine that without buying ten different systems and trying them all out

I just think it would be nice to make a post that had some more substantial information about exhaust systems, and maybe it would help to reduce the number of noobs posting questions about "is this exhaust going to get me a ticket?"

I don't know why everyone seems to be getting so upset over this post, if you don't care about db levels of exhaust systems then just don't read posts with that as the title

Back