Aftermarket Lug Nuts

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

92CHB

i am about to order my velox wheels and i was wondering if aftermarket lug nuts are nesesary(sp?). i might get some further down the road. but i know that Kyokugen lug nuts are good but my i am not putting racing rims on my car so these real nice lug nuts might be over kill. But i also saw these Hayame lug nuts that are pretty cheap. what do you guys think? i just want to make sure i don't hurt my new rims but using my stock lug nuts. thanks! :worthy: :worthy:

The stock lug nuts may scrape a little bit, I noticed they did a little bit on my rotas. If you've got the extra money go with the Kyokugen lug nuts.

what ever you do, do NOT buy the Kyokugen lug nuts. They are probally the shittiest of all designed lugnuts. The Lug nut is seven sided, which means you have to use a key to get every lug off. Doesn't sound so bad, but the key is about as strong as playdough. You have to torque them down with a torque wrench to no more then 80lbs, other wise the key will strip. Even with using a trq wrench, the key will still start to round out. On mine, I called the company to get an extra key. When it arived, I then rotated my tires, again using a trq wrench. When I was starting to trq down the final lugs, the key was already starting to round. When it rounds, the lug nuts get stuck inside the key, and the only way to get them out is banging the key on the ground (if your taking them off) or pound the wrench over the key a few times to knock it loose (if you putting them back on)

Aftermarket lugs are needed. The OEM style lug nuts are acorn style. Basicly what that means, is instead of being just a tapered edge that goes into the wheel, it is slightly rounded. This is fine for OEM wheels because, OEM wheels also have this acorn pattern to them also. With aftermarket wheels however, most use the more comman V style where the sides look more like a cone with the top cut off. If you use the acorn style lugs on these, the lug will only be touching the wheel at on circular point instead of the entire lug area.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Jul 20 2004, 05:13 AM
what ever you do, do NOT buy the Kyokugen lug nuts. They are probally the shittiest of all designed lugnuts. The Lug nut is seven sided, which means you have to use a key to get every lug off. Doesn't sound so bad, but the key is about as strong as playdough. You have to torque them down with a torque wrench to no more then 80lbs, other wise the key will strip.
[post=365642]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd: except I had the lugs strip. Fucked up my camber kit install, made it last 2 days instead of 1 hour.
DO NOT GET KYOKUGEN!

I am interested in the same question and everyone says NO to Kyokugen or whatever the F@#$ they are called. So what is an alternative? I here a lot of no's, but what is the yes?

matt

I just got whatever the tire shop ordered for me. There were six grooves on each lug. I made a true key out of it by filling in one groove of each lug, and grinding off the corresponding groove on the key. It's not much, but most thieves don't want to bang away on a car with an alarm. Make sure you trust the quality of your key before trying this.

Back from the dead!!!!!!

So which style of gorilla lug nut fits on rota slips?
I am about to order, but just want to be sure.

Alright, since this was brought way back from the dead, I am going to post since I missed it the first time.

Kyokugens are FINE, I used them for over two years, constantly removing my rims, for various reasons. If you don't over torque them, both the nut AND the tool are good. I sold em on my car, the guy hasn't complained about not getting them off either.

Operator head space and timing.

I garantee I could destroy some Rays, or Spoon lugs if I just cranked till they stopped turning.

You guys suck. I ordered some gorilla tuner lugs from summit racing so i'll be nice and post back my results. They were 33.00 If they don't fit, as in the seat type is different, then oh well.

I'd be careful with those. A kid locally tried to use conical seat nuts in a ball seat wheel and his friggin wheel came off. Destroyed his driver's side fender and front suspension.

Originally posted by driverunknown@Apr 24 2005, 07:15 PM
so what about my question? ball seat or conical seat on rota slips?
[post=490843]Quoted post[/post]​

Ball seat I believe, it's been a while since I looked at some.

Back