Aftermarket tach

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Please post me a link if this has been answered
94 cx hatch, cx harness w/vtech wires added, cx gauges=no tach :angry:
website says "negative side of ignition coil"- how can i figure that out?
can i use a stock wire,
the one tht signals the stock tach or in my case the anoying little green arrow light? if so ne1 know what color that wire is ?

I always found it easier to wire it into the ecu, so you dont have to go through firewall, or take out gauge clusters. He wont have the wire in the gauge cluster anyway, it's a CX. what ecu are you running?

I know your way would be easier, but isn't there a tach wire in the cluster plug even if you don't have a tach? I know I don't know much, but if you can plug and play clusters with tachs into a CX or DX that means there's a tach wire right?

forget bout the gauge cluster.

I run the tach wires in my car(vafc, and autometer) to the ecu. There is the RPM signal wire going into the ECU(comming from the engine).

Originally posted by cycloneb18c3@Oct 11 2004, 01:09 AM

I run the tach wires in my car(vafc, and autometer) to the ecu.  There is the RPM signal wire going into the ECU(comming from the engine).
[post=401024]Quoted post[/post]​

Sounds good, what abbreviation is that on the pinout chart? I only recognize about half of those ( or what pin?)
Thanx for the info
oops forgot to mention I'm using a chipped p08
D15B (jdm)
ex tranny(manual)
stereo w/no display :p

Originally posted by crazkene13+Oct 11 2004, 07:55 AM-->
cycloneb18c3
@Oct 11 2004, 01:09 AM

I run the tach wires in my car(vafc, and autometer) to the ecu. There is the RPM signal wire going into the ECU(comming from the engine).
[post=401024]Quoted post[/post]​

Sounds good, what abbreviation is that on the pinout chart? I only recognize about half of those ( or what pin?)
Thanx for the info
oops forgot to mention I'm using a chipped p08
D15B (jdm)
ex tranny(manual)
stereo w/no display :p
[post=401097]Quoted post[/post]​

If you want to be lazy, you can head over to the Apex'i web site and grab their VAFC installation manual. It has just about diagrams of just about every OEM Honda ECU in there for you to look at and pull the tach signal off of.

Actually, the 94 CX should have the wire in the cluster.

Honda made the interior harness universal for the DX, LX, CX to cut costs.

HOWEVER, they installed a less expensive cluster.

Also, the Tach wire goes in the drivers side wireharness, crosses the dashboard, then back to the ecu. You can find it at the drivers shock tower and at the cluster.

Blue wire, meter it in AC mode, rev the car, see the meter move, WINNER!

Lucky people with stock tachs... My civic never came with one b/c its one of the lower models. It's easy to install an after market tach. The hardest thing about installing one is being able to get the wire inside the ignition cap to the negative side. There is a little screw that you can wrap the wire around. But taking off the cap is fairly easy, better if you have 2 people working on it. One person in the car "popping" the ignition so you can get the disk to rotate in order to take it off. Everything else is common sense.

You can get this signal from the pin A21 on the OBD1 side of the ecu/harness.

Jason

Originally posted by AllMotorMonster@Oct 12 2004, 07:08 PM
Actually, the 94 CX should have the wire in the cluster.
Honda made the interior harness universal for the DX, LX, CX to cut costs.
HOWEVER, they installed a less expensive cluster.
[post=401840]Quoted post[/post]​

Very true. I just like to wire stuff the hard (aka stupid) way. :lol:

you should also have a blue wire some where next to your brake resivor it will be in a ruber boot for storage this is your tac wire for diagnostics and stuff. i could be wrong on this though i may have it confused with a EK

you could goto a junk yard. pick up a new gauge cluster and just plug it in. My ex had a civic with no tach so we went and pulled one out of a EX. I just pluged it in and the tach worked fine!

Back