AHHVTEC'S 2nd gen build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

thanks for the offer but i will have to pass, my insurance will pay me more than that lol. it would take at least 5500 before i would consider selling.

nah. i got so much invested into it, not counting the emotional side of it lol

that's impossible man there's not a honda, like this ,out there that is worth that much money, ever...its an incredibly beautiful car. but i'm looking at it from a reliability stand point, i don't wanna spend 55 on a old honda that is gonna take me so many hundreds of dollars a month to keep running and that may die on the side of the road one day. i know you have allot in it and i genuinely think its one of the nicer hondas out there. and trust me i dont want you to think i'm trying to buy your love away from you man but i'm trying to get this car for my gf and i know she is gonna love this car more than you could imagine. but restored or not i don't think i could give you anymore than 3500 cash don't forget i also gotta make a five hour trip up there just to see if its worth it. i am not giving up on it yet i seriously am diggin this car and i want you to just think about it please.

he obviously doesnt want to sell it
and you obviously dont want to pay him enough to change his mind

so let it go
there are other old civics out there go find one of them

badgering him isnt going to make him any more willing to sell it
in fact, if it was me, i would be more likely to sell it to someone else for a grand less than you are offering just to spite you

but because im feeling generous ill do some google work for you
heres a 78 for $2600 Honda : Civic HATCHBACK in Honda | eBay Motors

Damn near fully restored and a grand worth of wheels (if he still has the Mugens) alone, I would say the 5k range is a decent deal.

that's impossible man there's not a honda, like this ,out there that is worth that much money, ever...its an incredibly beautiful car. but i'm looking at it from a reliability stand point, i don't wanna spend 55 on a old honda that is gonna take me so many hundreds of dollars a month to keep running and that may die on the side of the road one day. i know you have allot in it and i genuinely think its one of the nicer hondas out there. and trust me i dont want you to think i'm trying to buy your love away from you man but i'm trying to get this car for my gf and i know she is gonna love this car more than you could imagine. but restored or not i don't think i could give you anymore than 3500 cash don't forget i also gotta make a five hour trip up there just to see if its worth it. i am not giving up on it yet i seriously am diggin this car and i want you to just think about it please.
lol i dont know any honda that takes several hundreds of dollars to keep running a year much less a month. and as far as something dieing on the side of the road maybe you should look at cars that are not 30 year old to ease your mind of that a little.i would have no problems getting in my 83 civic and driving 1200 miles right now. now as far as its worth book value your right its not worth 5500 but it is worth 4500 and i could drop a tree on it right now and thats what i would get paid, and yes the real mugen cf48 rims are still on it. just go on ebay or craigs list and just see how much the ones that have been restored are going for.

I like the style, reminds me of eBay traffic when I put an article from my home music system up for sale or even when buying tools. Much like "Car Salesman 101" technique. Once you'ver got 'em on the hook, you can abuse them a little.

It goes like this, for eBay and pair of McCauley pro audio midrange horns:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300738749002#description

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300739832748?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1562.l2649

First is the stroke: (His question - to get his foot in the door and my response)

Q: Hello Thanks for the quality offers up on E bay. Just where did you hide those McCauley horns? Cordialy Jim N Oakland p.s. Do you have a purchase now price on these dusty old horns? Jul-09-12A: "Dusty" old McCauley horns is right. You're the first one I've ran across that knows (has a clue) what they are. WAY nicer than the competitions same class horn/lens. They were dusty from hanging in my den for nearly 7 years and I didn't do any restoration when I got them as they were in decent condition. So, before I put them up for sale I mounted them to a 2x4 sprayed them down with Simple Green, hit 'em with a power wash, taped off badges, straightened a few minor kinks in the lenses and put a fresh coat of paint on them. They look real nice and will be listed in the next day or so. I setup a business account with Tom McCauley years ago and used this model horn in many applications besides my HT system. In multiples of 4 with 12" low mids in disco's, pairs of them in mobile DJ setups and singles for 3 and 4 way keyboard monitors. Great sounding horns. Thanks for asking & good luck bidding!

Then comes the "Pressure" or what I call the "Slammer" that's packaged around a bunch of "Smoke and Mirrors" bullshit:

Q: Hi, reach me at James@earthquakeconstruction.com My E bay account has erased any messages we have sent for some reason or another. So the message I read this morning, I have to reply verbatum. Thanks for the lense offer I have made the intial bid on them. Though I have that horn set. Keep me in mind when the reserve is not met for the 2425J drivers here. I am between just selling a huge S.F. property and clearing it all up. I look great on paper and am eating legumes and Basmati rice is you know what I mean. A set of 2470s with phenolics sold this afternoon if you were watching. Cheers Jim G. Jul-11-12A: If any of this gear doesn't reach the reserve price I have set, it will be re-listed until it does or pulled from sale. It's all quality gear and while I ddon't need it sitting around collection dust, that's not justification to liquidate at below it's value. I'll sit on it until Obama leaves office and our economy begins some degree of recovery. :) No, I didn't notice any other drivers selling, no interest at this time. The JBL 2470's along with a 2405 on top was a popular combination in disco's back in the 70's - they are virtually indestructable in an active system. Cheers dude! Steve

"Keep me in mind when the reserve is not met" - that asshole is the last guy I would sell to. I'd give the phukers away before dealing with that BullShit Artist.

Buying Tools - same bullshit different day:
I picked up a 20" throat, 3/4" chuck, 2 HP floor standing Drill Press ~10 years ago. A Craftsman, and nice drill press. When in the "Looking and Deciding" phase at the Sears store, everything out of the salespersons mouth was "It's the biggest, baddest and best of the best" right up until we got to the cash register. Then, magically it transformed into a piece of shit that would most likely break down and needed an "Extended Warranty" with full Service Plan.

I asked him what could possibly go wrong with a machine like that in a home shop. He said the chuck or motor could fail. I then told the jerk, I was ~48 years old, had ~$40,000 worth of tools in my shop, and none of them failed. Then, pointed out that machine would most likely in my estate - never requiring any maintenance, let alone repair.

The dude just gave me a blank stare.......

It appears your beautifully restored classic, that started out as "somethign to love and take care of" has also "Turned the Corner"..... :D

Last edited:
your very right, honestly there is no set value to it, considering the emotional attachment to it. im sorry we got off on the wrong foot with this whole thing i was deffinitly being a little bit to pushy.

a civic like yours, in the condition its in rarely ever shows up on the market. how many hours did you put in it? just out of curiosity
and man if i havent completely scared you away yet, ive thought about it and done some shopping and i think if you would be willing to let me come check it out id definitly be able to move up to more of the 5000 dollart range. only if your still willing to deal with me. and your right about the 30 year old car thing haha
i drive a 86 mazda b2000 and its pretty much the same story haha

well to be honest at this point i think im just gonna keep it, they are getting very hard to find, most have already went to the scrap yard for crushing. and the ones you do find need a boat load of work done to it, like mine did.

your totally right! thats why i was so adament about yours. i went to the pick and pull a few weeks back looking for rear veiws for my truck and there was a 84 wagon and a 86 civic it was sad but there such great cars when there done right.

Ahhvtec. You are apparently the go to guy of 2nd gen swaps people in 3 other forums have directed me here. Any way you can point me in the direction of the D series mounts for the 83? I have one and am looking to swap!

they no longer make mounts for that swap, you have to custom make you own. along with axles,fuel lines,fuel pump ect ect.

small update, finally got the ac put back on, and i went ahead and hide everything so the car looks stock, cant even tell it has the weber on it now, and i got rid of the double tip exhaust and went to a better sounding single tip.

haha,and maybe put a bunch of zip ties together and use it for the ac belt lol.

I was thinking the same thing when I read the update earlier today! :)

May I suggest pull the grill and a couple of screws out of the steering wheel?

post me a picture of your drivers side mount you used with the d-series please ? and every time I see a white gen 2 I think of

Back