Ain't this some s@#&

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Yeah I am sure that it was installed properly. I guess I just got a lemon. I just wish special was a little more concerned about their product. I should end up with a much better system in the end.

Ya you probably did get a lemon. New welder or a new machine they had just set up and had not yet adjusted properly. Or a bad batch of steel from their supplier...

Sitting at Barry's Muffler right now. I should have a proper exhaust soon.

So the nonsense continues. I got finished at the shop after paying $206, which is a little high in my opinion. They replaced to pipe from the cat to the resonator, mad the flange at the cat fit the header better, and added the missing hanger arm (apexi only uses one even though there are two points on the car to hang from). Then I drive the car home and everything seems fine. The car sounds good, it no longer rattles against the heat shield. I jack it up so that I can take a look at the work.
2011-11-04_11-04-19_106.jpg

2011-11-04_10-54-03_431.jpg

2011-11-04_10-53-43_378.jpg

2011-11-04_10-52-52_382.jpg

then I notice this...

2011-11-04_11-16-41_502.jpg

They used 2.000"al piping. I called to ask why they used 2" instead of 2.5" and I am waiting to hear back.

Last edited:
The guy at the shop is telling me that because the output of the cat is only 1.75" that having 2.5" pipe coming from the cat is basically pointless. They say that the exhaust will only flow as well as the smallest point of restriction. According to their theory having an exhaust that is larger diameter than the cat does nothing for the flow of the exhaust. I am not an expert by any means, but I am pretty sure that is wrong. What do you guys think?

they may be technically right about the flow difference, right now. but if you ever decide to upgrade to a 2.5" cat, you now have that 2" shit on your exhuast clogging shit up. unless i misunderstand what they did.

you should tell them you already ordered a 2.5" cat.

I told the lady I wanted 2.5 inch pipe and she said ok, so I don't think it will be stock.
sounds to me like the lady didn't relay the message properly and they are trying to cover their own ass

I can see their point, but how much restriction is being put on the exhaust? Am I getting no benefit from having a larger exhaust over stock? Is there adverse effects due to having 2" pipe that suddenly becomes 2.5"? Also why did they not ask if I would be ok with their decision. I guess it is my fault for not standing over them while they did the work.

you should tell them you already ordered a 2.5" cat.

sounds to me like the lady didn't relay the message properly and they are trying to cover their own ass

Different shop. I took it to a place that was highly recommended by some locals. I assumed they would replace the pipe with the same size that I had before. They never asked if I had any intention of upgrading. I really did not think that they would make decisions about what I want with out asking.

GSRCRXsi - They offered to cut me a deal if I wanted to upgrade to a larger cat :thumbsdown:.

I need to learn how to weld so that I can do shit for myself in the future. This situation is why I have learned how to do all my own work (except welding of course). I always feel defiled after leaving a shop. They think that everyone that comes in is clueless and doesn't care as long as it is fixed, and when you question what they did, they get that "well I have been in the business for x number of years so I know whats best for your car" attitude.

Last edited:
those welds looks like bubble gum anyway, id almost have them redo it on that basis alone.

they boned you

they used the smaller pipe because it is cheaper and they figured you wouldnt notice or care

and yes those welds look like shit

luckilly they used the cheap aluminized shit... so it will likely rot away in a year or so anyway... then you can get it done right elsewhere

I just ran into a good friend of mine that works at a body shop and he told me that he just bought a new welder. So I am going to get him to teach me and fix that shit myself. I wish I had run into him yesterday before I lit 2 hundred dollars on fire. Oh well lesson learned.

The price seems a bit steep and the welds aren't great but the pipe sizing theory is correct. I wouldn't put 2.5" pipe coming out of a 1.75"-2" cat...the series of adapters required to size up would look far more stupid than the 2" pipe they used and it would accomplish nothing.

With a choking restriction like a cat or small piping, the only thing larger piping accomplishes is to alter the tone of the exhaust.

Aluminized piping is not cheap and is coated, much like galvanization. What did you expect them to use? Stainless? The truly cheap exhaust tube is non-aluminized. It rusts immediately.

The price seems a bit steep and the welds aren't great but the pipe sizing theory is correct. I wouldn't put 2.5" pipe coming out of a 1.75"-2" cat...the series of adapters required to size up would look far more stupid than the 2" pipe they used and it would accomplish nothing.
It had 2.5" pipe there before with a flange that bolted directly to the cat and fit very well. The size difference in pipe was different yes, but it was direct bolt on.

With a choking restriction like a cat or small piping, the only thing larger piping accomplishes is to alter the tone of the exhaust.

Aluminized piping is not cheap and is coated, much like galvanization. What did you expect them to use? Stainless? The truly cheap exhaust tube is non-aluminized. It rusts immediately.

As for the welds they are not great, but they are not bad all around. Just mainly there at the hanger and the break.

Where would I get piping if I wanted to build my own exhaust? Does someone sell model specific bent tubing, or would I have to have it bent by someone?

its general practice to measure to centerlines when laying out a piping system. So, to figure out how long your straight piece needs to be when you have a pre-bent 90 degree piece, you measure to your obstruction, then subtract half OD of the pipe, and a little extra for clearance. This is if you're going to lay out a whole system with bends and what-not. I need a nap.

Back