air bag for bikers

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I posted this at another forum.

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

First off, its great to hear about a product like this that worked in a real life test.

However when the guy says "nah, I'm done with speed, I'm going to get a cruiser" I guess having a car pull out in front of you and slamming on the brakes is easier to avoid when not riding one of the fastest stopping sport bikes in the world. Guess next time when he's on the cruiser things will be different and he will easily avoid the crash.

bah.

they're working on putting airbags on motorcycles also. the prototypes inflate in the front to prevent you from go flying over the front of the bike in the event of a head on collision.

I think the jacket is neat, But appropriate armor can do wonders too.

As far as an airbag on the bike itself - No way. If someone pulls out in front of me, I'm leaving that bike. I'll take my chances with the road / a tree / the ground before hanging out to see what happens when two sharp, grenading metal objects strike each other.

As far as the cruiser / sportbike thing, I ride a scooter as well, and lemme tell you, it's just as dangerous, if not MORE. When I'm riding down the road on my Vespa 200 I'm keeping up with traffic. When someone comes from a sideroad the first thing they "think" is "I'm not getting stuck behind this shitty scooter going 20 mph" and they ALWAYS pull out in front of me. Only they think I'm coming at them at 20 mph when in fact I'm doing 40 or more.

They dont' do that when I'm on a regular bike.

I think the jacket is neat, But appropriate armor can do wonders too.

As far as an airbag on the bike itself - No way. If someone pulls out in front of me, I'm leaving that bike. I'll take my chances with the road / a tree / the ground before hanging out to see what happens when two sharp, grenading metal objects strike each other.

As far as the cruiser / sportbike thing, I ride a scooter as well, and lemme tell you, it's just as dangerous, if not MORE. When I'm riding down the road on my Vespa 200 I'm keeping up with traffic. When someone comes from a sideroad the first thing they "think" is "I'm not getting stuck behind this shitty scooter going 20 mph" and they ALWAYS pull out in front of me. Only they think I'm coming at them at 20 mph when in fact I'm doing 40 or more.

They dont' do that when I'm on a regular bike.

intro.jpg

Ask the people who have had their faces go thru their windscreens when they wrecked why they didn't jump, better yet ask E what he thinks of this idea.

intro.jpg

Ask the people who have had their faces go thru their windscreens when they wrecked why they didn't jump, better yet ask E what he thinks of this idea.

So what happens when your just riding down the road and BOOOMMM , the airbag just goes off? Hate to read about that one.

I'm sure it won't do that... but while I haven't been in a horrible wreck, my friend has - and the stuff in front of you on the bike.. the bars, fairing, tank, forks... It all hits you on the stomach, hips and legs. Back injuries, horrible impalements.. it's all there.

I can't say that for sure I won't just lock up and shit my pants when it happens to me, but I CAN say that I intend to jump off and let my gear do it's job.

So what happens when your just riding down the road and BOOOMMM , the airbag just goes off? Hate to read about that one.

Same thing that happens when a car air bag goes off at random in a car.

How many cars have airbags, how many of them go off at random?

me !!!

I was in a parking lot, getting ready to pull out of my spot, well the woman across from me was backing out, and she just didnt stop. Bumped my front bumper and BAMMMM I got smacked hard as shit. 94 bmw 525

It's a good idea, I don't see how it would help solve the problem of getting run over though. I know a couple people that got in wrecks and had the vehicles tire run their necks over, their head stayed inside the helmet and the rest of the body went its own way.....

Terrible way to go if you ask me. If your head and body part ways you're fucked.

Back