Air compressor size

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

cheese9988

VIP
I am going to rent an air compressor so I can paint the car. I bought a paint sprayer for it already. Problem is I am not sure how big of a compressor to go. The sprayer says it needs a min of 40psi I think but doesn't say how big of a tank to use eg 6gal? I know it needs an oil-less. Anybody recommend any size or tried the small ones before. Will the small ones fill up quick enough to not screw up the paint?

dont skimp, thats my recommendation.

especially if you are renting, the xtra $20 or whatever to get the bigger compressor is gonnabe worth it.

also, if you are painting it, how do plan on baking it??
and are you gonna be running an air cleaner on your compressor??? cause if you dont you are a gonna get a noticeable amount of water/debris in your compressed air.

actually I am just going to buy one. I checked out rental prices and for me to rent one for 3 days would cost more then a new one at sears, and I need one for at least a week, I have no other air tools...but I guess I better start a collection. The one I was looking at is 2 gallon 5.8cfm @40psi, oiless, regulated, hows that sound? Brand new so I hope its somewhat clean if I don't have a filter.

2 gallon tank is waaaaaayyyyyyy too small

panting needs something more like a 15-20 gallon tank, maybe even more unless you want your compressor running constantly.

I would not reccomend painting with ANYTHING les than 20 gal. for a tank size, And im not sure even that will be enough...ive never painted with anythign less than my 60 gal. so im not sure as tyo the smallest size but i would imagine you want attleast 10 cfm at the least to spray a whole car otherwise the compressor will ot be able to keep up with the necessary air pressure needed. so you might want to look abck into renting because in order to buy a compressor big enugh to do the job your gonna end up spending some loot

Originally posted by Smonkeyboy@Apr 28 2004, 07:52 PM
:withstupid: yeah, it needs to be big, real big. >10cfm would be highly recommended

That's what the paint shop told me too. However, I have found that to be overdoing it. I have used a Craftsman 5 horse, with a 33 gal tank. It was more than enough. Rated at 6 cfm max I think.

Get about a 20-30 gallon tank, with a decent cfm rating. With an HVLP gun, 40 psi is plenty and isn't as much air. Definitely use an air/water/oil seperator. Craftsman had one for about $30 the last time I checked. If that is too much, your local paint shop can sell you a "single use" one for about $10.

Other sources of fuckup for the first timer>>>>>Your breath has water in it. More than likely you will have a two cartridge face mask on. The breather on that mask may drip if you put your face over the work. Another one. When I bought my gun, the packing nut on the trigger needle was loose from the factory. They are commonly like this. Don't overtighten it, but make sure it is not loose or leaking fluid. Paint drips suck. Wet down the floor, plastic the walls, paint on a nice warm day. Be careful not to kick up dust, good luck.

hmm, ya I think I will look back into renting one. didnt think they had to be that big, but everyone here seems to say the same thing, so I'll go back over to the rental place, grab my ankles, and rent one from them. :eek:

I vote for buying one. A decent compressor is something you'll own for decades, without need for replacement. Buy it, have it.

Rentals don't come with anal lube. :lol:

yeah, having a compressor is REALLY nice, we use it for everything, from changing tires, to blowdrying our cars when we wash them :D

theres always something that air can fix, its a must have.

I have painted with a 20 gallon tank but it is too small it runs the hell out of it to keep up (I blew it up) get a 6hp 60 gallon.

i use an 80gal tank with ans oil water seperator and a filter at the gun the setup cost less than 1000 can so it no bad. Why do you need a week to paint

I work full time in retail, that takes most of my time, add that with going to college full time, thats why I need a week to paint, my job and school is 30mins away (but they pay me good hehe). How about a 22 gallon, 6.5cfm@40psi, 5hp unit sound?

My opinion is that would be enough. You might want a larger one later. If the compressor cannot keep up, give it a chance to catch up once in a while. A 30 gallon five horse was more than enough for my gun. Where you'll want more air is during air sanding and grinding. Those tools and air ratchets eat up an air supply quickly. For painting, you'll be fine with that. I have another buddy who has used that same size countless times without problem. You can always hook more than one compressor in line for bigger jobs if you have access. ;)

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Apr 30 2004, 12:40 AM
i use an 80gal tank with ans oil water seperator and a filter at the gun the setup cost less than 1000 can so it no bad.

That is a great setup, but many 80 gallon compressors run 220 volts, which makes them hard to use in more than one place. I had one, and never had a use for it.

I paid $100 for a Ingersoll Rand 80 gallon 6 horse compressor. It ran approx 11 or 12 cfm and came with a nice air water seperator. I traded a guy for a Troy Bilt lawnmower($1400 new), and kept the air water seperator. What a bargain.

Originally posted by tab+Apr 30 2004, 07:42 PM-->
hcivic.com
@Apr 30 2004, 12:40 AM
i use an 80gal tank with ans oil water seperator and a filter at the gun the setup cost less than 1000 can so it no bad.

I paid $100 for a Ingersoll Rand 80 gallon 6 horse compressor. It ran approx 11 or 12 cfm and came with a nice air water seperator. I traded a guy for a Troy Bilt lawnmower($1400 new), and kept the air water seperator. What a bargain.

i dont know how muchof a bargain you really got...did u check the retail on that compressor? because mine is an ingersoll rand 60 gal but with 15 or 16 cfm and 2 stage and it was a grand so something 20 gal bigger is prob a real expensive compressor...id assume thatit must ahve been single stage judgin by the cfm you said it put out but still nonetheless thats an expensive unit. i dont use my compressor anywhere but at my garage so i guess mobility isnt an issue for me but u may have wanted to hang onto that compressor for what u paid for it. just my .02

I looked em up. Comparable compressor $700-1000. Mower, $1400. I only paid $100, and got a nice seperator to keep. Paint shop said the seperator alone was $112. I'm happy.

ya thats cool heres a pic of my clean air system

s4039278cb98d6.jpg

this was around 450 bucks and is fuckin well worth it i have never had a single fisheye or anything from my lines....mater of fact when tested it tests consistenly 99% moisture/solvent free :D

Back