Air Condition A/C problems. manual switch?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

beafer

I dont know what seems to be the cuplrit but my compressor wont come on. The asshole mechanic says he changed out the ac controls but i seriously doubt that is the problem because after 1 week of driving, the compressor is not coming on again. I can run a hot 12 volt to it and use a manual switch but if i am not mistaken, the compressor itself after it reaches a certain temp/time (either one, not sure).
I have traced the wire back to a sensor in the condensor but that aint the problem. Relays are fine as well.

I am just at the point where i want AC and tired of trying to figure this shit.

P.S.: cold air comes out when the compressor is engaged. just need something to activate/deactivate it.

thanks

Car: 96 Integra 2Dr LS with D16 (vtec, obd1) swap. Dont ask.

IS the thing low on refrigerant? If it senses over or under pressure in the AC lines it will shut the compressor off. Just a thought.

Is your compressor original to the car? Does it make any odd noises like crunching sounds when it is on? Do the fans run at all with the a/c switch on?

Well my Helms has several pages of troubleshooting the a/c compressor. There is a compressor clutch relay to check, then some wiring issues... and finally there is an a/c thermostat to look at.

Time to buy a Helms!

Originally posted by nfn15037@Sep 20 2004, 12:52 AM
IS the thing low on refrigerant? If it senses over or under pressure in the AC lines it will shut the compressor off. Just a thought.
[post=392383]Quoted post[/post]​

That's true. You don't want to force the compressor to turn on if it shouldn't. Has the system been recharged recently? If it was, did they put dye in with the refrigerant to check for possible leaks in the system?

Originally posted by 94RedSiGal@Sep 20 2004, 12:00 AM
Is your compressor original to the car? Does it make any odd noises like crunching sounds when it is on? Do the fans run at all with the a/c switch on?

Well my Helms has several pages of troubleshooting the a/c compressor. There is a compressor clutch relay to check, then some wiring issues... and finally there is an a/c thermostat to look at.

Time to buy a Helms!
[post=392386]Quoted post[/post]​

Compressor comes on fine. The car has a d16 (meaning nothing is original in the engine bay except harness) in it. both fans come on fine.

Also has enough freeon in it as well. checked and doubled check that.

Originally posted by beafer@Sep 20 2004, 01:12 AM
i am going to have them check the freeon in it again tomorrow.
[post=392393]Quoted post[/post]​

It's spelled freon.... actually. If it's at all low and needs recharging, don't forget the dye.

And technically, Freon is DuPonts trade name for the R12 refrigerant. Our cars use R134A, a HCFC instead of the old CFC.......they just added a hydrogen molecule to the mix ;)

Back