air filters ,oem vs aftermarket

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

my car is the d15 b vtec,when standard most cars have an airbox filled with hollow cavities known as resonators,i have no idea what the resonators are for.Removing this whole assembly and fitting an aftermarket performance filter ,stainles steel pipe makes the engine bay look really nice,this is the route i have taken

my question is how good is the filtration of these performance filters compared to the standard ones,my logic says the only way they can let more air through is by compromising on filtration,also what is the function of these resonators in the airbox.

i plan to drive my car for at least 5 years,and if that performance filter is letting in dirt ,then il switch back to my airbox in an instant,sure there is a power gain and a nice sound ,but id like an expert opinion

all the resonator does is quiet the intake... most people dont like the "bwwwaaaaa" sound
K&N makes very good filters, i recommend one of theirs

i think its been proven that a stock air box with a K and N replacement filter will flow better than a cone style filter, but i feel you on the less cluttered look of the pipe...

stick with K and N for filters, good reputation for a reason

but then again, i have gone through several "ebay" filters/intakes with no dirt entering my motor...
i would be more worried about water than dirt...

k&n drop in may flow better then a generic cone style, but k&n vs. k&n, a cone filter will flow better as they generally (in terms of honda's at least) have more surface area.

so the resonators quiten things down,well i love that sound ,especially when i floor it on 2nd at 3000rpm ,it takes on a deep growl that increases in volume as the revs rise,then suddenly at 5000rpm the pitch of the sound changes to a high pitch all the way to 7600 rpm cutout,,thats only a jdm d15b, i wonder what a b16a would sound like..

i took out the stainless steel pipe and amazingly there was very litle dirt,and im using a generic one...Thanks for the info guys.

Back