Air/fuel Meter Vs Egt Meter

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I have an arguement going with some of my friends. They say if you have a EGT meter then you don't neccesarily need a A/F meter. I say the A/F meter is more accurate. What do you guys say?

Thats the first time ive heard of a wide band 02 sensor. What is it exactly (im thinking 2 bar map sensor :unsure: )?

With it, would the A/F meter be better than a EGT meter (tuning wise)?

And I dont mean to rant on you (rather im going to make a point) but would please explain why you have come to that conclusion rather than just stating your opinion because most people (and me) prefer facts over opinions. This seems to have become the norm around here nowadays ( I've seen quite a few people complain about that).

To think, I thought this was supposed to be a place where I actually learned something :lol: .
JK

To answer the question, a wideband O2 is different than the factory O2 sensor in that it can read voltages which span the entire range of rich to lean. The factory or aftermarket type O2 sensors can only send a very narrow band of voltages to the meter. On the other hand, a temp sensor (EGT) can read all temperatures. The only problem with an egt sensor is that you need to interpret the data. High exhaust temps could be caused by either a lean condition, or fuel igniting in the exhaust path. The ideal tuning tool IMO is a wideband lambda meter (O2).

ive heard that aem shit only works well with the aem ems... nothign else.

anyway, as far as wideband- its like this

techfjowbo2.gif

as you can see, the narrow band (or normal) o2 gets about the same reading... from rich, to stoich, to lean.... its all withing .0x voltages, and something that simply can't be read accurately with a device.

the wideband uses a wider voltage span, to show lean, stoich, and rich conditions based on a voltage- how 99% of other sensors work.

Back