air injection

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

gimme a second, and i'll post a a page from the manual detailing that

the main question really is.... if im swapping the ex motor from a 00 ex (obd2a) do i need to block the holes if im using a 96ex p2p ecu?

because im almost thinking that the 99's ecu would have maps to adjust the idle with the fuel air injection holes...and the 96 p2p wouldnt. so that would cause a big vaccuum leak but im not sure

cool.jpg

It's a really shitty picture, and I made it smaller for ya'll screen. But anyway, ya they're for coolant lines like I said.

The large one is for the coolant bypass hose. The small one goes to your throttle body's fast idle thermo valve (FITV).

capishe?

well take that previous post in, and let me know if you think you'll have an idle problem :)

cool2.bmp

well the manual had the information scattered, and i just thought this might help you see as well.

CIMG3522-1.jpg

YOU SEE THOSE CIRCULAR HOLES ABOVE THE INTAKE PORTS? whoa..caps lock.

anyway that is the air injection holes also called the FUEL INJECTION AIR

Last edited:
sweet ya. fuel injection air is what it's called. now i gotcha. the honda manual covers that for 2 whole pages and never otherwise mentions it's existance (even in the cooling chapter, because the valve is actuated by engine coolant temperature).

Well since the ECU doesn't control the operation of the FIA valve, that doesn't matter.

What does matter however, is the fact that the FIA valve mounts in the thermostat housing. So since your going to swap in a Y8 block, you'll have that valve in there.

May as well route the lines to it (one air line to the intake arm, the other to the intake manifold).

It's funny because haynes doesn't cover the FIA system in the least. And honestly, I just learned about it now. Seems like an odd system though.

so if i run a 96 ecu can i just plug the holes on the intake manifold and be fine?

plug them up, see it if runs fine. I've seen a few swaps with that sitting there and kinda wondered why they were. The manuals i have cover nothing on it cause OBDII is just a PIA for me. I may be able to get a hold of someone i know around here with a 96+ Ex and check out that system.

People get after market manifolds all the time anyway, and the Y8's are supposed to flow the best out of all the stock ones. I'd say from that its safe to plug them up.
Heres one without it
dsc024289uw.jpg

I think it actually plugs to the intake arm looking at these 2 pics, but i really cannot tell.
oil.change.015.jpg

oil.change.002.jpg

Last edited:
...I gotta get a new camera. Great shot of the horse and surroundings, and still good colors up close. What camera do you use awptickles?

I use a d40x with the kit 18-55 lense. But srsly, it's not the camera. It's all in how you compose and light the source. Thanks for the compliments. :D

Action shots are one area that the dSLRs excede in, simply because the sensor is so damned big. If you're into action/sports or night photography you should look for the biggest CCD you can find.

z6: Ahhhhhhh. and yes, it goes into the intake arm.

When i get home a lil later i'll post up the 2 pages my honda manual has on that system, just for the sake of information. Then you can decide if you should use it or not, based on it's function, as I have judged, but I guess you don't understand, because like I said already, the FIA is NOT ecu controlled...

awptickles: It's somewhat the camera. I know what your saying, but when you shoot with a Canon Powershot SD450, ...well ya. I need an slr...

I have a Powershot SD40.. only thing it doesn't do so well is in the dark focusing in a small bright area with fast moving objects. Like a circus.

It's small and is overall a great camera.

BTW:

Plug the holes if your using a 96 ecu. If it runs weird then you may have to account for them and look into the system a little more. Otherwise I know nothing about it. Sorry if we came on a bit strong on the remarks, but reference it by its actual name initially, or have pictures of it.

Last edited:
K i'm about to post those pages for ya, but I wanted to comment on the camera, and keep things seperate.... last thing i wanna say i swear (not tryin to thread jack) ^_^.

I'm not being quick to ditch it, it deffinatly is great for just taking pictures of things. I wouldn't ditch it either. Like B's situation (getting a new car), it's like a truck, it has it's uses, just not for everything. A few times I've been able to borrow my buddy's Canon EOS Rebel XTi. Other than that cam, I havn't had much personal time with an SLR. I really liked playing with the manual focus and shutter speeds to take some nice looking shots. It performed extra well in the dark at some of our meets where there is no movement (slow shutter, no flash). It just took them in a funky aspect ratio. But I didn't realize it wasn't standard 4:3 untill they got on my PC. So...ya, that's somewhat of where I'm comin from with that. The SD450 is an exceptionally great cam tho dont get me wrong, I mostly toy with regular cameras such as my 450, and it's easily clear that the Canon Powershot line is better than most.

Providing you read all that, I should take my discussion to the active thread about cameras.... but I thank you letting me know what your using :)

Sorry it's so big.

Tell me if you think honda will get mad and sue for hosting this. If your that scared, I'll host it then. I just don't get enough upstream bandwidth.... :(

because if its there im sure it would work because you said its not run from any ecu. then i wouldn't have to plug the holes and just run it as is

Back