1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Air Intake Info.

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by Vindowviper, Dec 1, 2003.

1. Vindowviper

Vindowviper Junior Member

I have a 97 Civic CX hatchback completly stock :(

I am looking into an air intake. My brother told me and showed me his, and its seemed to be a good addition.

I just want to ask 3 questions
    1. how do they work?
    2. is it worth it?
    3. where can I get one(cheap plz)

any information on this would be cool, websites especially! thnx

2. hcivic.com

hcivic.com Senior Member

ebay is the cheapest place

3. Iquark

Iquark Senior Member

Even though a search would do you good, I'll be nice and explain. A CAI (cold air intake) will take colder, and thus more denser air in through the passenger side wheel well in you case, and through that denser air, get more power. (denser air=more O2=more power) This though, isn't really a big gain, you might see a 1-3 hp gain if your lucky. Second, though you gain better flow to the engine through mandrel bent piping, but again it isn't really much of a gain at all. Finally, you get the best thing of all, an awesome sound. Now I know It might sound stupid, but the main reason we all buy intakes for is because the sound... Really you won't see a lot of gain until you have the full I/H/E and maybe some cams, but it's best to start from the intake forward if you are planning on moding anything else later, because it sets a good footing for the engine later.

4. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

and this is why i spent the extra money on the comptech ice box :) it doesnt make the BWAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!! sound
    (shhhhhhhhhhh :ph34r: )

5. Iquark

Iquark Senior Member

Oh come on... You know you love the sound, well, at least your neighbor does...

6. Vindowviper

Vindowviper Junior Member

I like the sound too, but my bro said it will add about 6-8 HP but u said 3 I wouldnt notice much difference because my car only has about 96 HP stock. :p

so is there a specific brand that I want, and where do I find this.

7. Smonkeyboy

Smonkeyboy Senior Member

any good name brand.

AEM
    Injen
    Iceman

DO NOT GET
    Weapon R or anything that ghetto and cheap.

8. randerson165

randerson165 Senior Member

does anybody have a cheap intake that will fit a 97 civic non vtec engine ? come on, help out my brother here !!! :p

9. sportlinecrx

sportlinecrx Banned

trust me oin this. go to JCWsportcompact.com and order one from there. they are just as good as the name brands and they are only a fraction of the price.

10. cointelpro

cointelpro Senior Member

i dont know why people think they will get so much HP from intake. you will be seriously lucky to see more than 5 hp gain from intake of anykind unless its forced. i got short ram and i love my sound. :) but seriously dont spend 150 bucks on a AEM CAI. i think its a waste. get yourself a nice aem short ram with kandn filter. but if you do get cold air make sure sure sure you buy one with a bypass valve! i cant stress that enough. if you dont know what that is. a bypass valve is basically a foam piece in the middle of your intake. in the case that your cai gets some water in it your bypass valve will become the main source for dry air (its in a safe spot) and will save you from hydrolock or any water in your engine. some guy had cai and bypass valve and stuck his filter in a bucket of water and ran his engine fine. its worth it.

11. Cashizslick

Cashizslick !i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!

Well, to be honest, us honda owners never see a gain of over 6hp from intakes (usually) and usually only get 1 - 3hp like he said.

Its funney though, cause intakes can be a great mod depending on what you put them on - like the new hyundia tiberon GT V6 - that thing saw 22hp from an intake lol.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted