Airjockie's AE86 Engine Rebuild

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by Airjockie@Jun 2 2004, 10:51 PM
if the head wasn't milled...I'd be looking at 10.3 to one....but also it depends on the head gasket....

So high 10s?

That paint is ugly, but it's not like you are gonna see much of it anyway, with that tiny engine bay.

Originally posted by MikeBergy@Jun 3 2004, 02:16 AM
That paint is ugly, but it's not like you are gonna see much of it anyway, with that tiny engine bay.

shit happens.

i like it. any green is :thumbsup:

you have to drive the car to appreciate.

Whooooooohoooooooo.....

Got some work done to it today....

The bearing journals Are NOT INTERCHANGABLE ON the BLOCK....but the bearing and the crank and the pistons are...

After a while working thru the problems on this...I got success.....the crank is finally fully torqued down, and I have good oil clearances, and no end play...plus it rotates nice and smooth.....go one more piston cleaned up today..and it will go on in the morning...then 2 more pistons to clean up...and install....

So the bottom half should be done tommorrow...and then I can get the oil pan and oil pump, rear main seal, motor mounts...etc on it and ready to install..while I wait for a head gasket...

still got a lot of work to do...but I think it might be running this week....it is very possible now that the hard part is done. :)

this might be a little of topic. but i can tell your an initial d fan, and you do some research on the AE86. so can do you know if TRD ever made an engine that reved to 10,000rpm's and made 220hp. i've just been curious ever since i watched that episode. plus my cousin has an 85 GTS Coupe and he is going to sell it to me when he gets a new car for cheap (like $500 cheap).

Well......

The bottom end is done. :)

Today I started off with cleaning the rest of the pistons and shit...then when the #3 piston was nice and clean...I went to clean up the piston rings for it...and I noticed...that the top compression ring was missing about an inch of the ring :angry: ...holey GAP BATMAN!!!! :blink: ...so now I find out why the JDM Redtop engine was shipped to America. :angry:

Anyway's...I was just going to swap that one ring out with a Bluetop ring....and no luck...the ring was too wide...and too thick. :angry: ...and then I jumped online and thought about getting a set of new rings...then I remembered....It's a JDM high comp engine...so the chances of that ring even being in America are slim to none.

So I looked at the ring for the blue top..and looked around the garage a bit...then it dawned on me......I'll make a new ring. :ph34r: ....and I did. I took the coarse gringing wheel off the bench grinder, and put the new fine grit wheel on...and I went to town.....took about an hour to get it close to the size that I needed...and it some what fit in the piston grooves...but not perfect enough. So I looked out in the trash area and found a mirror that the landlord was throwing away..so I grabbed it, cleaned it up, taped some 400 grit sand paper to it...and went to town sanding the ring down. :spin: ....After 3 hours of sanding, drinking beer, post whoreing, smoking ciggs, listening to Hoobistank...or what ever their name is...while losing my fingertips.....I finally had the perfect ring. B) ..I slapped it in the cylinder to check the groove clearance...and it was good....so then I started back to the project at hand, and finished the last piston...and slapped it all together......... And the crank and pistons all move as they need to be....and I feel the break in for this engine will only be about 100 miles...and it's good. B)

Next is to clean up the oil pan, the splash gaurd, install the rear main seal, the oil pump, and slap that all together...and then I can pull the old engine out and rape the motor mounts...and decide what I want to do with them......I do have a plan to make them a little stiffer...hehe.

The car should be on the road very soon...and to some events this month.

On a side note....a kid is sending me his Zenki Axels...and I'm going to yank my Kouki axels and ship them to him....and you know what that means......

The TRD Two-Way LSD can go on the car.....Whooohooo. :spin: :spin: :spin: :spin: :D :D :D :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

you're welcome for all the MP3's....

good stuff clayton! cant wait to check it out.

Well the engine is out...some more parts got cleaned up....

And I am going to get a lot of critics complaining about what the hell I did to the engine......

Lets just say it looks like the engine builder was colorblind.....or was high on Acid....or Drunk :ph34r:

Because the engine is hot......but....It looks like the United Colors of Bennington raped the motor......hehehe......Buahhahahahaha...

Why be normal...ehhh....

I wanted some color to the machine, but I also wanted colors that whould show oil leaks and other problems, and...the wife don't give a shit about the car anymore...so I'm going to have some fun...hehe

This will be a one of a kind build....so it's will rank in between rice...and race....

First the block is Teal, the mounts yellow, the oil filter base red and blue, the timing gears red, the rear timing gear cover blue, the oil pressure sender red, parts of the water pump polished chrome, the valve covers gold, the header black, the fan clutch pully red, the valve cover center devider red, and I got orange and silver to do some funky shit to the other various parts that will get sand blasted, cleaned up and worked over......I'm thinking bolts should be pink, and the oilpan pur[le...but I cant find any hot pink and purple in high temp spraypaint....

But I garuuuuunnnteeeeeee that somebody will not like the color combo....so fuck them......I'm having fun damn it.

Pics will come online once some more paint dries...

On another not..the rear end is going under the knife to get the LSD implanted....as soon as I can push the car up the hill in the driveway and jack it up.

The donor axle shafts should be here wednesday and I got to remove my shafts and send them to the donor ASAP....

abv.jpg

Tonka Corolla....hehe

Bro you would of been able to get some new rings at your local machine shop. I'll Explain

Let me ask you something.... Does your block have oil squirters? It doesn't look like it and it doesn't look like you have a oil return line you would have about a inch hole on the side of your block. That block was from the Early AE92s They had 7-Ribs but still were Blue Tops which had the big port head and the 9:XX Compression , it still had TVIS, you know the rest. Only difference was it had 7-Ribs instead of 3-Ribs. So it's still a blue top block just a later blue top block. Get me?

See, Because later model AE92's had 10:3 compression stock and had oil squirters and were 7-Rib. They also a Oil Return line on the side that went to their non TVIS Small port head. SO you would've of been able to go to your local machine shop and order some rings. Making them rings always works also. If you do have Japanese Red Top Pistons you have 10:4 compression pistons since in Japan the 4age compression is :1 higher than USDM. But the ring would still be the same as the USDM red top engine that came in AE92's. If you read my thread about my recently blown stock engine on club4ag you know that Im sticking a Red Top block in there from a AE92 All my stuff is at the shop now I'll post pics when they get here. I'm going to have to put a freeze plug where the Oil return line goes connected since I'll be using the stock AE86 Blue Top Big Port head. If you have any question let me know I'll be more than glad to help you. I'm going to paint my block alumminum color for the same reason as you oil leak detection ect. Keep up the good work bro.

Peace,

Emilio :)
www.BlackTruenoAE86.50megs.com Updated:6/8/04
(Black 1985 Corolla GT-S AE86 Hatch)
(Blue 1986 Corolla GT-S AE86 Hatch)
www.Team-AE86.50megs.com
www.TeamHinga.50megs.com
BlackTruenoAE86@aol.com

Welcome to HondaSwap :)

Yup..the block I took everything from was the JDM Redtop, but that block had a bad cylinder wall...Water/antifreze leaked in and it corroded away the lining...not too deap, but enough that it would need to be bored 0.040 over...so I am hanging on to that block, for possible future use, but it had the oil squirters for the pistons, and the head oil return tube.....

I know the ring will seat just fine...I just have to keep an eye on it....if it don't work...I'll pop the head off, and the oil pan, and just swap the rings...by that time the funds might be availible...and the down time...to get new rings. Once the AE86 is on the road and racing...then the CRX comes in for it's little overhaul....

Old car's...ya gotta love em.

Ya work on them more than you drive them...but it is worth it..hehe

heh... kinda looks like a Little Tykes version of "my first engine rebuild".... HA!... still looks awesome man... have fun hope to see it going soon..

-Aaron

Back