Airjockie's AE86 Engine Rebuild

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by webink_EK9@Aug 5 2004, 01:06 PM
what is that red car parked behind your 86
[post=372987]Quoted post[/post]​

My 260Z B)

aaa.jpg

its not about stability... the jack could fail and the thing could come down on top of you. aren't you a mechanic? you should know these things... :p

It's been Jacked up like that for 4 days....it's a Craftsman Jack...they never fail...and I love that Jack...High lift, rapid up in one pump...to bad it's not mine...but I will buy one just like it later on down the road.

nice pics, and nice muff

I love this piece by piece construction of your 86, and with pictures :thumbsup:

Thank's...

I'm just either trying to make a step by step process for doing it, or a guide on how not to do it....and I already had a guy who didn't know how to fit something onto his car, I showed him a pic, and he figuared it out.

hey aj, check out this months Turbo mag, it has a sick corolla in it.........and I mean sick.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Aug 5 2004, 11:03 PM
when we tunign her? :p
[post=373248]Quoted post[/post]​

Tommorrow after I get back from JDM food shopping...and beer. :)

alq.jpg

alr.jpg

als.jpg

alt.jpg

alu.jpg

PerrrrrrrFEct Clearance...and it sounds good tooo ;)

Nice and quiet untill..I step on it...then it rumbles....but the high end sounds like a normal rice burner balls in a coffee can B) :eek: :angry: ....

lookin good homie, I wish I could join you fellas on that beer :angry:

I wrote:

DearSir/Maam.

I have a 1985 Toyota Corolla RWD AE86 car, that I
built the engine for. I used a 7-rib USDM Blue top
block and head, but put the JDM high compression Red
top internals in it. I should be near 10.3:1 CR. I
also have two Mikuni 44pph side draft carbs on the
engine. I realized that they may be too big for the
motor, but I got a decent deal on them, they work
great and run good, after I cleaned them up about 5
times and rebuilt them. But they just will not run
properly on the engine. After playing around with
them for a month, I ran into a gentleman that said
that the carbs are fine for the size of the engine,
and they just flow too much fuel with the mains that I
have.

After I took them apart, I noted all the little
numbers on the parts.

the emulsion tube is #8
the botton tip on the tube is #165
the tube cap on top is #210
and the smaller jet in the corner is #57.5
the Tube inside the Emulsion tube is M
the jet on the bottom of the E-tube is #57.5
The Ventury is a #34

Does this sound right for a 1.6 liter High comp 4
cylinder engine. I am trying to set the car up to run
and make good power at 5,500-7,000 RPM, for drifting
and autocross.

And any suggestion on my next size or sizes down or
up, and if you have them in stock or can get them, and
send them as soon as possible, would be appreciated.

Thank for your time.
Clayton Pace.

And the Return E-mail :

Clayton,

You are close but based on the Mikuni Manual and your setup and usage, I suggest you do 2 things before you rejet, 1.) change the e-tube (actually called jet block ) to the OA Jet block. This is what is normally used for a performance application in the 44's. It has better fuel flow and transition characteristics. 2.) Your venturi size @ 34mm is too small for the top end. You need at least 37mm. You won't sacrifice any mid-range with this and you will open up the top end to breathe better. Our 1.6 liter GT4 motors actually run 41mm venturis but we redline @ 8600R's.

The bottom tip is the fuel jet. @ 165, you might be a bit too fat but you will need to read your plugs to be sure. You should have 160,155,150 for tuning purposes. The jet on top is the air jet, you should probably be running a 200 there. The other jet is the pilot jet. You have 57.5 and the book recommends a 52.5 for stock application. 55 is probably just about right.

All parts mentioned are in stock. Prices follow;

Jet blocks $22.95 each
37mm Venturis $15 each
Fuel, air, pilot jets $4.50 each
Mikuni Tuning and service manual $10

Depending on numbers of jets and other items, we can probably make you a package deal and throw in a copy of the Manual. Shipping is $5 bucks. Paypal to this e-mail addy is fine.

Let us know what we can do to help you out.

Thanks,

Todd Walrich

Compression seams good :) ....but everything leaks. :(

I just got all the fittings and crap needed to regulate my fuel system...so it will be installed tommorrow.

Got a 0-15 VDO fuel pressure guage, some 1-6 psi regulator, a napa fuel pump good to 6 psi.....and a ton of various fittings....

I've had to do the rear suspention on my Z, the rear support bracket fab on another Z, and now the Jeep is giving me problems.....so I was a little distracted from the AE86.

but from what I see, and some-one who looked at the set-up...it was dumping in to much fuel. after talking to many people on the phone...they all said the same thing...4.5 psi is to much for the set-up I have....so I was basically just shooting fuel into the engine when it ran...and it was running toooooooooooooooo rich. So if this doesn't do the trick tommorrow, then the project will be on hold for a while....

I am so tempted to just post it for sale....but nobody is going to buy a car that doesnt run for the price that I would want. So I got to get it running right first...then it's for sale...unless I ccan drift it like the monster that I wanted to build.

I have a drift clinic that I registered for on the 1st of september...so I have less then a 1/2 a week to get something driftable...and a full set of tires to drift on. I realy want to get the AE86 down there and start ripping threads off tires, but the cam shaft seals were leaking to much, and it looks like the rear main seal is leaking a lot, so I would have to pull the trany/clutch/flywhell in put in a new seal. Then tha head gasket is also pissing oil everywhere...so that means I will have to just break in to the wallet and get a new one, and possibly take the head to get shaved...so now time and money are the real things holding me back.....and energy....now that I turn wrenches again at work, and then get home to turn wrenches...I'm going to burn out before I can even drift. My other option is to get the Z built up in a week. I have the parts for the full build up, and a possible space to do the work.....but the energy thing is killing me, also with knee's shot, and a sore back....everything is going so damn slow. My 260Z finally got the rear shocks and springs installed, but all the bushings are shot to hell...but I have a full set of new bushing here right now...they just need to be installed. The fuel injected/big bore/cam/engine swap should only take a week-end to do...but I told my boss that I would work sat/sunday this week to get all the overtime I can.....if the Z gets built up...it's free.....to build up the AE86 and to trust the engine for a day of hard driveing on a block with less than 10 miles...is a risk, and money is needed to finish the build.....

So I'm at an impass.....get the AE8 done before the drift clinic, or build the Z up for the drift clinic....or cancel my spot on the drift clinic and get some money back and lose the valuable seat time...that I really need...before the big North VS. South Drift event in Oct.......That I plan on making an awesome awesome car combo for.......the Z and the AE86....both cars will be there, and in drifting shape to kick some ass...and to put some SR powered cars down the tubes....hehehe

hopefully you'll get something running for the event.

this is why I went with a 240, over the corolla, too many little nick nak parts, old as dirt, etc.

don't get wrong, great car but I just didn't want initial issues, and wanted the damn thing to run for more than a couple months or so without some shit leaking, breacking, etc.

good luck aj

Back