all motor b18c build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

vpower

What's up, well I'm getting some work done on my b18c and wanted to get some feedback on some opinions...this is what I'm doing what's your thought...

81.5 RS or ITR pistons , bore and hone the block, micropolished crank, ARP rod bolts, ACL race bearings, new oil pump, water pump and timing belt,.......ITR Headers, Skunk 2 manifold, itr valve train

Would this do a big difference???

What are you building this for?

Daily driver?

You dont need ACL race if you are trying to just do a DD, ACL Duraglide will be fine or OEM.

I would just go with a hytech copy header over the ITR.

OEM pistons if possible.

Add a valve job.

Thanx for the post and yes it's gonna be a DD...my cousin is in the scene and said this is a pretty good setup...what do u recommend???DD all motor, but want it quick and fast

you didnt mention cams...

If i was to do a DD gsr motor, i would be more inclined to leave the bottom end stock or near stock and put more work into the top end.

You will not make much power without increasing compression.

He did mention ITR valvetrain.

Last edited:
The only things in your list that'll stand a chance at increasing your power are the pistons, ITR header and intake manifold- and they really won't give you that much more than you had stock. If you want to be fast all motor:

Punch block out to 84mm bore minimum
89mm crank (B18B, B20)
13:1 compression with coated pistons
Huuuuuuuuuge aggressive cams
ITR LMAs
Stiff ass 10k valvetrain
Ported head, Alaniz and Portflow do great work, among others
Build your own intake manifold and tune the runner length for 7k-9k resonance, tune runner diameter to max flow at redline based on your head flow numbers after porting
Normal supporting mods: breathers everywhere, adjustable everything, baffled pan, ported oil pump, giant throttle body...

Then tune the hell out of it with someone you fly in from elsewhere in the country.

:D

lol cal, thats a beast dd motor!$$$$$

ITR lmas??? how long have you been away from the b's?

Honda only sells the spring type now similar to the prelude, nsx, and s2k. I used them in my old gsr build, they are about $230 for the set from honda. They were great with the pro 1 cams I had. I miss that motor and it wasnt even over 200whp.

Last edited:
The only things in your list that'll stand a chance at increasing your power are the pistons, ITR header and intake manifold- and they really won't give you that much more than you had stock. If you want to be fast all motor:

Punch block out to 84mm bore minimum
89mm crank (B18B, B20)
13:1 compression with coated pistons
Huuuuuuuuuge aggressive cams
ITR LMAs
Stiff ass 10k valvetrain
Ported head, Alaniz and Portflow do great work, among others
Build your own intake manifold and tune the runner length for 7k-9k resonance, tune runner diameter to max flow at redline based on your head flow numbers after porting
Normal supporting mods: breathers everywhere, adjustable everything, baffled pan, ported oil pump, giant throttle body...

Then tune the hell out of it with someone you fly in from elsewhere in the country.

:D

What would this set up cost me total more or less

Probably up around $10k.....unless you do all the work yourself. You could send your short block to ERL for about $4k and get back part of what was listed. You would still need to do all the work on the head which, would easily run several thousands. Portflow is around $1k just for the basic package that wouldnt be adequate for what was listed. Cams, tuning, tuned manifolds, and on and on $$$$.

all motor is the expensive way to be slow.

I would rather have a k swap.

Hell, I have about $3k in my D15 race motor thats going to be lucky to hit 105-110 whp meeting specifications for the class..

Last edited:
I'm going to make this simple

Gsr head

Super tech valve springs

Stock valves with valve job

S2 pro 2 cams

P30 piston

Arp rod bolts

Arp head studs

Arp main studs

Jg edilbrock intake Mani

Big ass throttle body

440 CC injectors

Walbro fuel pump

Hondata s300

Optional nitrous

Tune

Tune

Tune

I'm going to make this simple

Gsr head

Super tech valve springs

Stock valves with valve job

S2 pro 2 cams

P30 piston

Arp rod bolts

Arp head studs

Arp main studs

Jg edilbrock intake Mani

Big ass throttle body

440 CC injectors

Walbro fuel pump

Hondata s300

Optional nitrous

Tune

Tune

Tune

Can this all be done and installed for about $3000...and how much whp would I be at...thanx for all the help

Can this all be done and installed for about $3000...and how much whp would I be at...thanx for all the help

The real question is can you do this yourself? If not I would seriously look into turboing the stock gsr with a meth kit. You should see 300 whp.

supertech sucks, do not use....read my gsr thread for more info on them.

some of that advice is very vague:

fuel pump? you didnt mention size? at least a 190 and up

throttle body size big? you can lose power by just throwing the biggest thing at it. 68-70mm matching the intake manifold is a good place to start.

jg manifold based on what? AEBS is teh best bang/buck

s2 pro 2s ??? really? on 11.5 compression?

no porting to go with that setup?

Last edited:
The real question is can you do this yourself? If not I would seriously look into turboing the stock gsr with a meth kit. You should see 300 whp.

Truth is I'm not mechanically inclined...i have more than 3k but I'm trying to keep it around $3k...my friend owns a shop and I get hooked up...i already have walbro fuel pump, gsr head and ctr manifold...and just curious what it would cost minus those partsand minus the tune

supertech sucks, do not use....read my gsr thread for more info on them.

some of that advice is very vague:

fuel pump? you didnt mention size? at least a 190 and up

jg manifold based on what? AEBS is teh best bang/buck

s2 pro 2s ??? really? on 11.5 compression?

Dude we use supertech on big boy power plants nothing wrong with them

255 walbro

Yes really I have seen them make great power on 11:1 comp

Jg Mani is great for this economic build

Truth is I'm not mechanically inclined...i have more than 3k but I'm trying to keep it around $3k...my friend owns a shop and I get hooked up...i already have walbro fuel pump, gsr head and ctr manifold...and just curious what it would cost minus those partsand minus the tune

Make some calls and look online, you can buy cams and intake Mani used

Seen them? I ran this setup we are discussing except with pro 1s at around 11:3, they needed more compression. Skunk2 even tells you recommended compression higher than what you have said.

Supertech sucks, period. CS sucks and so do their engineers, I had pieces of their retainers floating in my motor. The reason their engineers gave me was my valve springs werent stiff enough causing float...until I told them they were supertech valve springs and then they didnt what the hell to say. I was stuck with a blown motor.

I havent heard or seen, I have done.

You cant just throw a wish list together and have it work optimally.

Lol dude you know nothing about me.

Its OK I'm not about to trash this guys thread. I have built a good amount of engines and I know what I'm doing, I should also mention I have full access to a dyno and know what works and what dose not.

Now I don't know what to do...lol...I certainly don't want to invest 3k and end up with a blown motor...you both seem knowledgeable enough to me, but I'm stuck on which way to go now...

Back