all motor b18c build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

P30's will give you higher compression, so its up to you. I went with p73's (ITR) running obdII and all I'm going to do is retard timing if I hear pinging

:lol: let me guess, a good tune is when the distributor is at the right spot for power with no pinging?

All your doing is hurting your motor and probably making less power. Also if I'm not mistaken, OBD2 ecu auto adjusts timing via a:f.

Well I told my friend if he can get the p30's in there go for it, and if not he is gonna install the jdm itr pistons...

they should be the same if not cheaper.

Get the P30's. You'll be fine on 91. And RS machine are ok. I'm running RS Machine PCT's in my B18c.

I ran cheapo Nippon eBay pistons on my current build and its still running! Just use Hasting or OEM rings, my Nippon rings are letting blowby get into the combustion chamber

I melted one of my P30 RS pistons....OEM might have melted too int he conditions they were in.

JDM ITR pistons will give you more compression than P30s. The GSR heads combustion chamber is quenched, decreasing volume by 1.10 cc which ends up being about .27 more compression.

I mean hell add flat face valves too like I had in my gsr for an additional bump in compression and better quality valves.

Meltdown is caused by running lean on a bad tune or fuel system failure

I have always known the p39 pistons have a higher dome than the jdm ITR, maybe the wrist pin might be lower on the p30 I don't know, but I do know p30 has the taller dome

Also flat faced valves only add a .2 or less compression ratio, depends on how deep your valve seats

.2 is cheap, easy compression without modifying deck height. The valves can also free hp if you go with a lighter than OEM valve.

I know exactly why the piston melted, thanks... It lasted about 23 mins at 300+ degrees of torment.

I ran cheapo Nippon eBay pistons on my current build and its still running! Just use Hasting or OEM rings, my Nippon rings are letting blowby get into the combustion chamber

Well I'm gonna be using OEM rings...

And as far as pistons go I'm gonna do some research and go from there...I respect your decisions because in the past some of you have helped me out knowledge wise, but I think the piston issue is more of a preference question...

Do you agree???

I wish I was closer to you to walk you through this build, its a super simple build! Always do research on everything your going to throw money at lol!

Well I'm gonna be using OEM rings...

And as far as pistons go I'm gonna do some research and go from there...I respect your decisions because in the past some of you have helped me out knowledge wise, but I think the piston issue is more of a preference question...

Do you agree???

I agree with you but only so far, it just depends if your planning on building a fun DD or a weekend warrior, also what are your plans for the future.

If your planning on building the head later then I would go with the highest compression i can run safely on 91, that way when you do build the head your not kicking yourself for not getting taller pistons to make that extra 10hp.

the more compression you have the better your engine can breath with a taller cam, cams need that higher comp to make better power. In some cases you add cams to a stock motor and you lose power.

I would say so, I'm sorry if its frustrating... but that's working on cars in general lol

Nah not that much of a biggie, but I'm just stumped on which way to go, I just wanna make sure that I can at least use 91 pump gas...lol...what's the highest compression that I can use 91 pump gas

Hard to say, it varies from tuner to tuner. I can have my engine with a twelve and a half and have no problems, you might only stay at a eleven and a half, just depends on the tune

I know guys have run on over 12 up to 13 with excellent tunes....this a dd though, p30s are fine and the rs pistons have a coating on the skirts. at least mine did...

OEM rings are very good just make sure they are properly gapped.

This isnt that difficult it just seems that way now. I would continue to read up on everything we have said... I posted my gsr build thread as reference, there are millions more out there you can look at.

My old build:

b18c5 bored 0.30 over
PCT (ctr pistons)
Stock rods (OEM pistons allow you to use stock rods and save $$)
Custom head gasket to drop compression to 12:1
OEM bearings & seals
Stock port head
ITR throttle body ported to 68mm?
ITR intake port matched
310cc injectors
Skunk2 springs & retainers
Skunk2 Stage 2 cams. Easy to tune because the secondary lobe is essentially stock. This gives great driveability
RMF replica header
2.5" exhaust
whale dick intake
Tuned on S300
205whp.

Anyone do any good tuning in so cal...I live in the L.A. area, and what should I tune it on...chrome, hondata, etc???

Back