All motor build GSR or TypeR

Which motor would you go with?

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

projectxspeed

My friend has a 94 integra ls. After hearing about my track times he was to swap his ls for something with more power. HE WILL NOT CONSIDER A TURBO, or AN LS/VTEC. So please don't mention them; that's why they were not on the poll. He has about a 6K budget, thoughts?

Well he could spend all his money on the type r swap...which has a really good tranny with it. Or get the gsr and possibly raise the compression and get some bolt-ons with a hondata or somethin.

road course? JDM ITR without a doubt, running a different ecu than the p73 (will top out at 115)

the lsd and gearing is key.

Sorry guys I did forget to mention the most important fact: goal. This is his sumertime daily driver; he also goes to the drag strip from time to time.

If he drags, you really really really should try and convince him to build and turbo his stock block. It'll be a lot more powerful (and faster) in the quarter than a straight ITR swap, and he'll spend less money too.

If he wants to drag on a swap for $6000, tell him to get the ITR swap, then upgrade the cams.

I totally agree with calesta. get a jdm integra w/ lsd. you already got gearing, and descent compression without the big threat of detonation. decent ecu. now he should have around 700-1200 left depending on what deal he can find. and then upgrade your cams w/ a fpr. this would be a nice set up for a daily driver as well as the drag strip.

Originally posted by 9sech22civic@May 20 2004, 04:32 PM
I totally agree with calesta. get a jdm integra w/ lsd. you already got gearing, and descent compression without the big threat of detonation. decent ecu. now he should have around 700-1200 left depending on what deal he can find. and then upgrade your cams w/ a fpr. this would be a nice set up for a daily driver as well as the drag strip.

Well, I'd get a better tuning solution than an FPR... he can run Uberdata for free or buy into a Hondata S100 system. Getting an ITR engine tuned with good agressive aftermarket cams will really help, even with just dropping the cams/valvetrain as the only major upgrade.

do you have an idea on how much good cams would be? and also, i am going to do this swap with a friend so would changing out the cams be difficult for a first timer? thanks for the info. ps with new cams what do u think a 92 hb with itr would do in the 1/4?

$600-700 for a set of brand new Skunk2 or Crower cams is pretty typical. Add new valve springs and you're probably looking at about $1000 total. You can install cams on your own- it's really not that hard, especially if you're doing an engine swap by yourself already. I'd guess you could run mid 13s with a setup like that- but that's just a guess.

My friend is really stuck on the LSD of the TypeR. It looks like he is going to lean that way.

I'm not really a big fan of the ls/vtec, and I am even less of a fan of the crvtec, Especially since the b20 has thinner and thus weaker cylinder walls.

Wow the poll is at a dead tie at this point at 10 and 10. I will watch it til weds night, and after that the winner with be the plan for the near future.

Originally posted by projectxspeed@May 23 2004, 12:02 AM
I'm not really a big fan of the ls/vtec, and I am even less of a fan of the crvtec, Especially since the b20 has thinner and thus weaker cylinder walls.

the cylinder walls of a b20 are fine, they're not gonna crack.

Back