All Motor Gsr Need Answers

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

pre13215k

CrAzY GSr N/A

ok im gonna build a 97 gsr and my theme is jdm all motor complete.. i have a few concerns though..

1-can i fully build this motor to be a daily driver(probably not) or would it be to high in compression and have to much horsepower to do so?

2-how much hp would i get with the right tuning fully built with all jdm preferably spoon or toda parts?

3-are there any other parts jdm that are better?? my preferance is those 2 but what ever is better?

4-would i be able to run on tank gas or would it detonate?

5-would it be better to stick to the same brand like toda or mix and match like toda camshafts and spoon cam gears (e.x.)
any comments or suggestions would help
money is no option on this hobby car
jdm and gsr lover

Last edited:
Do you really have to go "All JDM?"

If you're that worried about being "all JDM" are you really worried about what kind of power you're going to make? Your goals of good power and "all JDM bling blang" conflict a little bit.

How much power? Who knows? Depends on your parts and your tuning.

Answers:

1: depends on how you build it
2: depends on how you build it
3: depends on how you build it
4: depends on how you build it
5: depends on how you build it

WELL IM JUST A JDM HOE.... BUT WHAT WOULD U SUGGEST AND ALSO IS IT BEST TO MIX PARTS OR WOULD THAT MAKE IT EASIER TO BLOW THE MOTOR??
my buddy had a b16 fully built 350hp and he shopped around and ended getting different brands for everything and blew his block

Different brand parts don't "blow your block". How those parts were assembled, who tuned the motor and how badly the driver beat it will determine if a block comes apart. And unless he was turbo that b16 was pushing max 215 to the wheels.

If you want a JDM setup. Get a b18 type r swap 98 or newer. Get some spoon pistons, and some JUN or Toda cams and valvetrain setup. You can add boltons like cam gears, intakes, headers, etc. from just about any JDM company for an arm and leg if JDM is truly the way you want to go.

dude you have like 3 threads with the same question. i'll tell you this much. your not getting in the 10's.............EVER. If you dont want a power adder then be ready to spend some mad money. Complete valvtrain upgrade and you'll get close to the 13's, that is if your in a hatch or something lighter. Its all in the money. And your thinking about toda?!whoa you talking big money.

97CTR said:
Different brand parts don't "blow your block". How those parts were assembled, who tuned the motor and how badly the driver beat it will determine if a block comes apart. And unless he was turbo that b16 was pushing max 215 to the wheels.

you'll be lucky if he even makes it to 200whp on a b16. a healthy bone stock might put down 140whp.

i have a japenese gsr idiot( no offence by saying that) im already pushing 200 at least got itr and ctr cams and a stage 2clutch and thats when i wasnt making 60grand a year to spend on it

show me the dyno sheet and i'll believe you. anythings possible yes but man i doubt it.

well can u give me some insight on what to do???? to be honest ive been back and forth for the past 2years should i turbo or go na???? and i love the sound of turbo and the rediculous hp u can get, but for some reason i want to see what i can do with na but if u guys can give me some insight on setups and possible hp gains in this jdm gsr and its in a 97 integra coupe... thanks taco

ok heres the deal. you can get more HP/Tq with turbo. Since you have a pretty heavy car that would be my route. I would make sure my bottom end is strong enough first. If you have money then go ahead and build up the block with some strong h beam rods,sleeves,lower compression pistons......pretty much make sure it wont give out. Or you can just use you stock motor, which is fine too. Unfortunately due to the compression you dont have too much room for tuning error,BUT you will get more power without having to crank up the boost to much.

N/A is great but wont get you very far.As everyone here will tell you its gonn be hard to get 250whp all motor. That with ITB's badass cams, high compression etc. all stuff that will compromise a good DD car. I say go turbo. I have a fully built lsvtec and love it. mainly because i have it in a crx. it doesnt take much to to go fsat let me tell you.lol. Turbo it man. you'll be happy.

custom turbo will prolly be around 3g's. Not sure sinece its not my specialty,its just the average everyone says they spend. Na will cost WAY more than that and you wont get near as much power. Imagine.............high compression pistons,stage2 or 3 cams($1000),port and polish($1000 for quality work),springs/retainer(400?),intake mani (300)or ITB's (over a 1000),header,(400). and theres more to add to the list .lol Yes you can get some parts used or for a deal. either way its too much money for the HP compared to the HP that the turbo will get you. Ask someone in the turbo section. they now more about this than me

Last edited:
:driver2: thank you but i have made up my mind that i will build this car all motor..... im not gonna drive this daily, strictly track but would i be able to drive to the track kick ass and drive home? and i plan to build by the end of the year the bloock at least 15grand and next year 10 on the head and more on roll cage, suspension and i dont buy the cheap shit... come on im a trucker making the$$$$$:driver2:but this will be strictly track only..... i cant afford to get caught then i will loose my class A license oh ya and my buddy had a b20 fully build with a rev hard turbo that came off a drag supra and he was boosting 35psi and ran high 9's at palmdale but he broke off his downpipe.. it cut straight in half and my buddy's says with turbo and boosting a lot u need to replace things all the time and everytime u race something will get busted. is it true.

i am also married and gonna buy a house in the next three months and thats y im building the block this year and the head next year and so on but will the motor take it? if i race with a built block and stock head? or will it blow? do i need to build it all at once ? and i want high compression, but how high is to high?

good luck. All motor definitly gets some respect..........well if its fast. With compression i know of calesta getting his to 12.6 compression on pump gas. TUNING IS CRUCIAL at that point! tuning is everything when you go high compression man. Also no your motor will not blow if you head is stock and you block is fully built. It will last longer. Its normally the other way around. if you have a fully built head that can spin 9k chances are your stock rods or bearings wont last very long. that is if you take it to 9k daily. lol

As far as turbo's being needy sometimes,yes. but com'n dude 35pds?! thats alot. of course somethings gonna give. I personally dont have anything against drag only cars. To me its more fun to able to drive it everyday. and still kick some ass. Its not the fastest in the world but definitly something to look out for. thats my thrill. I can drive it to the track, post some decent numbers(for my own enjoyment) and drive home.

if your gonna spend that kind of money why not go k series? you get ALOT more power all motor from a K. sell your gsr a get a k motor. you will definitly get more than 250whp all motor. If your stuck on the gsr,fine. i recommend researching a little more on here before jumping into it. We have some great write ups,motor build, turbo builds. everything that will help make up your mind and help you choose the parts.again good luck

It actually doesn't take THAT much to get to 250whp all motor on a GSR. You just have to pick the right parts and not make a bunch of mistakes on your build. You don't even need ITBs. Yes, you are going to have to go to 2.0L most of the time, but after that it's all about lightweight pistons/rods, porting and an aggressive set of cams- then I/H/E and tuning.

OEM bearings will last a long time at 9000rpm if you spec them out right and keep up with your engine maintenance- oil changes, coolant changes, valve adjustments etc.

thank you for the posts and i know not to do anything jurastic and jump into to it now... im doing my research now and when i think im ready to blow my money and blueprinted all the steps and parts and compression ratios and prices and also who to go to then i will build it.. but also not to be daily driven i already have a 99civic and a 06 Xterra to go along with my 97 integra but can i fully build it complete with high compression and drive it or will it be to much wear on it for the parts how is the life expectancy on a car built for racing?

calesta do u think with my geezer i will need dto bore it to 2.0 to get the hp and 1/4mile times that i want?

Considering that you never posted what the power levels or quarter mile times you wanted were... I can't answer that question.

u think i can have a 10 track car???? high high high high hopes but if not with the best scenario how fast and how much hp can i make done right?????and do u think i need to make it 2.0 or stay at 1.8?

What's a "10 track car?" That doesn't make any sense...

There is no "best scenario." People are still pushing the envelope. There is no set maximum.

For the most power on an all motor setup, you'll want maximum displacement. 2.0L isn't the highest you can go on a B block either.

Back