All Motor Or Boost?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

acurabdby

Hey guys this might be similar to my previous question bout which to do 1st the LS/Vtec or boost ....but how about just building an all motor Ls/Vtec and not do the boost....just trying to get a feel for the best options...let me know what ya'll think!

well what do you want to do with the car, do you want to go in a straightline fast or do you want to turn at high speeds? Do you plan to do Auto-X or road racing or just drag and street racing? I personally am a big fan of all motor, with forced induction you will go faster, so it is really up to you.

I want it for daily driving and occasionaly street racing maybe some trck stuff too but basically to take and stop light tempters!

this is the second time I metioned NA and you delsol mentioned FI,,,do i see some topic battles on what is better in the future??I think that FI will get you farther but it will cost more than NA by a little bit.

Milan

FI is cheaper, plain and simple.

same car, = given

to run a mid 12 na:

itr swap, or ls/vtec or gsr hooked up to itr specs/compression- 5000+
cams/head work = 2000

that will get you a mid 12 in a light car

same car,

ls swap/gsr tranny = 2000
bolt on max rev kit with hondata/s200b = 2800 from ks-motorsports
manual boost controller = $50

you're well into the 12s with that.... if not 11s.. for 1500 cheaper.

now, we aren't talking reliability, or anything like that here- just cost for cost to run a certain time.. cuz eith the all motor, you'd want to do valve train stuff for your cams as well...
JMHO

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@May 22 2003, 12:02 AM
^^^^ the expensive way to still go slow

Only if you're drag or street racing. Don't be such an advocate of FI while slamming NA. There are plenty of applications where all motor builds are preferable to boost, like autocross and road course racing.

well, we ARE in the FI forum :lol:

if i was building a road race car, it would be boosted. Granted, some leages don't allow it, but i wouldn't be in that league.
autoX... ehh, 40 secs around a parking lot is really kinda boring. Anyone who sets up their car strictly for that really needs to get out and enjoy the world of racing :)

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@May 22 2003, 09:57 AM
well, we ARE in the FI forum :lol:

if i was building a road race car, it would be boosted. Granted, some leages don't allow it, but i wouldn't be in that league.
autoX... ehh, 40 secs around a parking lot is really kinda boring. Anyone who sets up their car strictly for that really needs to get out and enjoy the world of racing :)

:p

Well, I was answering in accordance to the original question, not the incorrect forum that it's placed in.

:p :p :p

I would still build all motor for a road course. Turns and high speed exits don't really work too well with peaky power curves.

Autocross? I thought that was the type of racing that you were so good at.

Originally posted by Calesta@May 22 2003, 11:02 AM

i'm not good at it. i've done it twice in my life. besides, i drive like a Q-tip

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+May 22 2003, 10:32 AM-->
@May 22 2003, 11:02 AM

i'm not good at it. i've done it twice in my life. besides, i drive like a Q-tip

Ah, but those were the times you were showing me before- you getting 2nd in the last one or something.

2 cars the same weight, one turbo, and one all motor. Both making the same power.
The all motor car will always win hands down. Some people will disagree. I just thought I would point that out. This is my view based on experience. Driving a LS turbo versus a allmotor ls/vtec both making 200 hp to the wheel, both in 90 hatch backs.

thats because people say 200whp.... well, yeah, at ONE specific rpm point does X car make Y power.

in order to be 100% fair, you'd have to take the given usable rppm range for each gear of the tranny, take the derrivitivate, and average them out, and then give the other a boost or cut.
problem, it simply can't be done really... you can't just cut 5 hp at 6589 rpms :bash:

and thats the reality of it.

pisseddelsol.
you are absolety correct, I was just referring to when someone asks you how much power your car makes, then you gotta justify why so and so car beat yours etc..
Anyways my point was lame, just something some one would have said if he made a low horsepower, turbo motor.

guys he said street race...at the lights. So im with pissedoffsol. NA on honda is useless on a street race unless you race someone who also has a setup similar to yours;NA b16 vs NA b16, or in some cases, NA F22 vs. NA B20/VTEC. in a street race, especially at the light, you want have the most advantages you can get. you never know when a mustang will pull up beside you, or maybe another honda but that is supercharged or turboed.

Back