all wheel drive

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hybrid_b18

crew chief
IM lookin to do a all wheel or rear wheel conversion to a eg hatch. Starting my research here. Im looking for people who have done the conversion before or have helped do this conversion or can steer me in the right direction. Maybe some recent posts or magizine archives. Thanks people.

its a shit load of work, and if you don't have very very very good general knowledge, metal craftsmanship and a lot of time, its not even worth thinking about

honda doesnt have any AWD system thats worth half a shit
so an AWD civic would need to be completly custom fabbed or HEAVILY modded from another car

and as far as making a civic RWD your least expensive way of doing that would be to buy a wrecked S2000 (or other RWD car it doesnt really matter) build a tube chasis and put civic body panels on it

either option i think is a big fuckin waste of money

want AWD??? buy an AWD car
want RWD??? buy a RWD car

find an old 85-87 i think civic 4wd wagon just rip everything from that its the only awd honda that i know

it was my first car and it would b a shoe in for beater of the month no doubt

that awd system was a joke. It only put 10 percent of its power to the back wheels. All it did was make the car heavier.

fun in the snow tho but id say more like 30% i could spin all that rubber on a good day good ol superlow

and it STILL has a weak ass AWD system

if you want AWD, get a real AWD car

First thing you can do is find a salvage manual CRV. Assuming your going to make it a maual, like you should. They are hard to find with a 5 speed but they are out there. You can use the B20 that they come with if you dont already have a B series engine.
The tranny will drop into an eg with a fabricated upper tranny mount ( the one at the far right hand side). Youll need to make a hole in the forewall to pass the cables through for the shift linkage link on an H22 tranny. Youll need to install the steering knuckles from the CRV as weel. Not because the civic ones wont fit but because your gonna have five lugs on the rear and four in the front if you dont. That is not just gay, but impractical. Unless you wanna carry two spare tires.
You will need to fabricate some stuff to mount the CRV rear end in the back. Depending on if your lowered or not, youll need to ditch your spare tire bay. Did i mention you also need to install a fuel cell because the gas tank is in the way. Now you can either butcher the civic trailing arms to make the CRV hubs fit, or you can cut the CRV arms in half and weld them back together about an inch shorter ( i think its one inch i cant remember right now ) . Youll also need to shorten the upper half of the trailing arm where the upper control arm attaches by one inch.
The drive shaft needs to be shortened a little and the tunnel where the exhaust goes through needs to be widened a bit. Youll also need a custom exhaust to clear all the crap that you now have living in the rear end of your car. Alot of the parts will just bolt up. The CRV does use the civic platform after all.
Honda Tuning Magazine is presently finishing their AWD integra. They did pretty much the same thing as i have described here with few differences. They say that after beating the car around in the dirt a bit, they heard a loud clattering and will explain what happened in the march issue.
I think the problem they are having is with the rear drive engagement mechanism. The CRV only engages the rear wheels when the front wheels and rear wheels are turning at different speeds. There is an assembly in the rear of the tranny that locks in the rear end with a pin only when this condition exists. Since they were beating on this mechanism alot, i think its starting to fail. What I intend to do is lock the rear end in permanently until i can come up with a way of engaging it electronicly or something while driving.

Good Luck
Sean

ok sense every one wants to ask "why" im gonna say why not?

And dont feed feeble reasons cause i got plenty for "why" just as im sure you have plenty for "why not"

it is a terrible AWD system
it is not designed with any type of sport or performance in mind
its designed to give a LITTLE help when driving in slippery conditions... thats it
the components of the system are WEAK... putting power to them will result in broken shit
no AWD system is readily available that will fit directly onto a civic... so extensive modification will be required just to get it on there

so what are we looking at here
transmission will have to be beefed up to handle power and gears replaced with something a little sportier
differentials will have to be completly replaced, so you can handle the power and so they will distribute the power in a more usable mannor
driveaxles will need to be custom
driveshaft will have to be custom

so:

tranny = $2000 +
differentials = $800+ each ($2400+)
axles = $300+ per pair ($600+)
driveshaft = ???? probly about another $400
labor = ?????? who fuckin knows

so you are looking at, at least, $5500 just to make a civic AWD
and my estimates are low as fuck

now you will have to go FI on the engine because honda doesnt know what Tq is... and if you were to try to run all motor with the added weight of the AWD system with NA honda Tq, you are going to be slow as fuck
so now you will need even beefier parts for the custom build

at the end of the day it can be brought down to one basic response:
NOT WORTH IT

are you saying the civic ferrio or whatever it is ..... it's awd system is weak?

and what is the diff. between awd and 4 wheel drive?

4wd there is actually only one wheel in the back and one in the front driving.as for why not do it, basically like sol said the cost isn't worth it, when its all said and done your back wheels are still only going to be putting 10% down, and when its finally al done your wallet is going to be almost as empty as if you would just buy a wrx or lancer. 2 the drive trains are shit anyways, you can't put much power through th crv drivetrain, and if you aren't going to be running alot of power then why even make it awd. the torque issue i'll argue with because a honda may not have it, but it also doesn't need it, its not hard to get a honda rolling, and once you have it rolling hp will pretty much take over 3 if you have enough time to be doing this, i'd just get another job, make more money and get the hell out of the honda scene, not hating on hondas, but not the most logical car to build to make fast, but whatever its your money, but i vote not worth it

Originally posted by hybridsol@Feb 10 2004, 10:05 PM
4wd there is actually only one wheel in the back and one in the front driving

What the fuck are you talking about.

AWD means that all wheels will turn. The front and rear wheels however may turn at different speeds depending on the setup, road conditions, etc. 4wd means that the front and rear wheels are locked together and spin at the same rate when 4wd is engaged.

The CRV has what is known as " reaktime awd ", like i said before, only comes on when the transmission senses that the fronts are slipping. If you lock that in place permenantly, you now have awd just like a subaru for example.

As for the cost estimates by E Solsi, your estimates for the tranny and other components are way off. It does depend on how much shopping around you do but for the most part, they are a bit on the high side. As for labor, if you do it yourself thatll save you a whole lot. Drive axles do not have to be custom units.

As for the question everyone is asking, why? You wont get an answer for everyone thats the same. I personally think it would be a fun project, and dont really think anyone would expect to see a fast civic blow down the quarter while barely chirping the tires.

edit: Why? For those who like thier civic and want a better way to get around in those oh so slippery Canadian Winters. :lol:

This is acually the same kinda shit i was thinking about. I saw that show rides where they put the V8 into the Lexus IS300. I was hooked, i want to become a fabricator and make shit work thats not supposed to. But i was thinking more along the lines of turning a B-Series 90 degrees and slapping on a turbo. Mating an S2000 tranny to it simailar to what they did with the supra tranny to the V8. Using all S2K drive parts (driveshaft, rear end, ect...)

I was just thinking it would be cool to do something like that, im not acually going to try it unless i somehow get uber rich.

Originally posted by ef9civicgen4@Feb 10 2004, 11:44 PM
This is acually the same kinda shit i was thinking about. I saw that show rides where they put the V8 into the Lexus IS300. I was hooked, i want to become a fabricator and make shit work thats not supposed to. But i was thinking more along the lines of turning a B-Series 90 degrees and slapping on a turbo. Mating an S2000 tranny to it simailar to what they did with the supra tranny to the V8. Using all S2K drive parts (driveshaft, rear end, ect...)

I was just thinking it would be cool to do something like that, im not acually going to try it unless i somehow get uber rich.

B series engines WILL NOT WORK WITH WITH THE S2000 TRANNY

the B series engine spins backwards
so even if you did mount it to the S2000 tranny (custom bell housing)
you will have 6 speeds in REVERSE!!!!!

shitty fucking idea

get a FULL S2000 drivetrain and custom fab it to work in a civic .... then still get your ass handed to you by everyother RWD car out there

"i want to be original"

yeah well ive never seen anyone fuck a chicken ..... but i wouldnt do it just to be original!!!!!

:bash:

Back