1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Allergic Reaction?

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by Dustin_m, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Dustin_m

Dustin_m Active Member

So I'm having some weird reaction on my hands i think. I lifted my jeep about a month ago, and for the most part did it w/o gloves. I usually wear them for everything, but on the lift i started w/o them and just never got around to putting them on. at some point i did put them on and ended up getting grease/oil/dirt inside, but didn't care much. After finishing the work, the next day my hands were really red and burning. It hurt to touch things, and my hands felt swollen. all of this was on the palm side of my hand, and a little around the knuckles on top.

the gloves had been sitting in the garage until yesterday when i washed them and used them to do a side job that i lined up for some extra cash. I got some new gloves but didn't want to use em so i used the old Mechanix ones.

So now today i got the same reaction on my hands. Just wondering if anyone has ever experienced something like this from any kind of grease or oil from the car. While doing the lift, i also did the diffs with regular GL-5, not synthetic. I think i did get some of the old diff fluid on my hands, maybe thats it? other than that the only things that got on my hands was lithium grease from the zerks, and dirt fromt eh undercarriage.

any ideas what this may be?

2. B16RacerN2NR

B16RacerN2NR Working Hard VIP

I know exactly what happened... the day before you did all that work, your Jeep cheated on you with a Dodge Ram and your Jeep ended up with Crabs. In turn, the Crabs were biting you and you never realized it till today... :ph34r:

3. klyph

klyph Dismember VIP

The important question is: Body lift or Suspension?

4. Dustin_m

Dustin_m Active Member

can't body lift an xj, it's unibody. I wouldn't waste my time with that worthless crap anyway. It was only a 3 inch lift. 3 inch fron coils, 1.5 inch rear leafs and 3 inch shackles(1.5 lift) to be exact. i picked up all of that plus a pair of 1.5" coil spacers for 70 from another Jeep guy. Next i'm putting on the spacers and building a new pack to be 4.5 ", but not for a while, just needed enough right now to clear my 30's.

5. Dustin_m

Dustin_m Active Member

the funny thing is, my neighbor has a ram thats parked next to my jeep sometimes

6. klyph

klyph Dismember VIP

It's weird how many people here (HondaSwap) drive Cherokees. I have an 01 cherokee sport and I love the thing. Runs like a champ in -40F weather, goes anywhere I care to drive, and gets pretty decent gas mileage.

I'd love to lift mine, but it's my daily and I don't want to lose any gas mileage, plus there's no where I wanna drive that it won't go like it is...

7. Dustin_m

Dustin_m Active Member

I don't really take it off road much either. it's my daily driver also, and i'm in school and can't afford to fix it or have it broke down. There are times though that i like to go play around after it rains. I also was concerned about the gas mileage, so i went with 30's. they didn't rub at all while driving at stock height, but over any bump they would. The mileage change isn't bad, but the noticeable thing is the change in where it shifts.

you ever go on naxja.org? oh yea, mine's an '01 also, and my gf has a '99, mines the most basic model, no power anything, with a tow package. hers has all the electronic crap, and its all screwed up. Still to this day i don't regret not having power windows and locks.

8. Jeef

Jeef NO MA'AM Moderator VIP

Klyph and Dustin did your heads crack on your 01's yet? I am considering getting an xj in the next few months. I need something with more interior space on occasions and I want to go offroading.

9. Dustin_m

Dustin_m Active Member

I'm at 140,000 and no problems so far.

10. LS_VTEC

LS_VTEC you get the BRAKE

Working with no gloves, than putting your dirty hands into clean gloves is why you have a rash. :) Wear the new gloves next time, with clean hands.

11. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

the gloves probably heated up your hands, opening the pores, allowing the grease and dirt to get into your skin

12. Taco15

Taco15 I wear stretchy pants VIP

thats what i thought. it happenes to me all the time with sweat and dirt. I cant imagine grease and rust and crap. I would just open up the pours and use some dove soap. then put some cream on it and give it time

At least it wasnt gas:D Boy that hurts like hell:(

13. Celerity

Celerity Well-Known Member

Believe it or not, the same thing happened to me.

IT's been 6 years now, and my fingers never heal. They just crack and fall apart. I'm being treated with some eczema shit. It helps, but it never goes away.

Sorry.

14. Dustin_m

Dustin_m Active Member

is it that steroid cream? my aunt has eczema, and there was a while when my hands started peeling similar to what she described when she first started getting it. I'm assuming at some point i'll have the same problem.

15. klyph

klyph Dismember VIP

95K miles strong, not a problem yet.

16. Celerity

Celerity Well-Known Member

Well, its a steroid cream, but it's just a treatment for what I have. It's fungal, and my girlfriend has a small spot of it too. Now she works around the house wearing thick rubber gloves. She got hers from cleaning under her mom's fridge.

17. 90_EF_Hatch

90_EF_Hatch Señor Member

i gett it on the backs of my elbows from getting under my car and what not ....

itchy

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted