allmotor ls vtec or turbo ls?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I say theres still one variable: the driver.

A shitty driver is a really easy way to turn a 13 second car into a mid 15 second car. But, if you insist, go right ahead. :)

hey ever body my name is levon and im 17 and have a 1988 hatch with a body kit and no engin because i dont know wat two put in it i want power so somebody help me

Lmao, this thread seems to be a magnet for thread jackers.

To the OP. Your not understanding what your reading. Slow down, open your mind, and learn from the ppl here. Keepin your mind closed and arguing is counter productive to your learning. PSI IS irrelevant. That seems to be your biggest issue. Your talkin about a boosted motor, obviously your gunna be makin boost. What these guys are tellin you, and they are correct, is that the amount of boost doesnt matter. Every engine will require a different amount of boost to make a certain amount of power. Also, I think your gettin your wires crossed. No way in hell stock sleeves are gunna take the abuse that 600 horse will dish out. The crank, on the other hand, will. For a while anyways.

One more fact. "Improving" an E-bay kit = Polishing a turd.

Last edited:

Iam New To This And i Was Wondering if a 98 ls block with p30 pistons with new rings..ls rods ..and the block is balanced and honed For 400 Buckz is that a good deal???? by the way what does honed mean??

I need help

hey ever body my name is levon and im 17 and have a 1988 hatch with a body kit and no engin because i dont know wat two put in it i want power so somebody help me

Start. Your. Own. Thread. You. Stupid. Leaches.

i helped my friend with his set up and it turned out good and was very fast and i'm doing the same exact set up so me saying 6 psi makes sense to me cause i know what size turbo he had and everything he had and the car ran a low 13 and i hate that i'm asking for adive and stupid jackasses r talking shit saying shit about a shitty driver he doesn't know shit about me and has no clue if i am a good driver or not so he could shut the fuck up and just give me advice, i'd be using a standard 57 trim turbo 63. ar cold side and a 50. ar hot side on 6 pounds with a log manifold 2 1/4 inch intercooler piping a big front mount and probably rfl blow off with not sure what kind of wastegate turned for 8 pounds but i'd only be running 6 on it for now, with either 3 inch exhaust or 2 1/2 not sure about that yet

Do yourself a favor. Dont get a big intercooler. A properly sized one will work better than a "big" one. Dont run an e-bay setup. Dont run e-bay parts period. Ive got nothin bad to say about log manifolds, it sounds like one would work just fine for you. Dont tune according to boost, or track times. That is, if you want some sort of reliability or consistancy out of this car. Set a power goal (since your worried about times, Id make that goal match up with your desired 1/4 time), put the car on a dyno, and boost to it. Youll be better off this way. Trust me. Your right in thinkin that there is different ways to go about tuning your car. But, the fact remains that certain ways (i.e. what everyone else is tellin you) will net better results with the same setup.

Oh, and before you tell certain member to shut their mouths, you should check out their build threads and other post, so you have an idea about their knowledge. He wasnt talkin shit. Fact of life, everyone drives different. Some styles work better than others, he wasnt sayin yours is bad.

i saw his build thread cool he's got money, alright. the reason i am getting this tune is cause i have seen this exact tune and set up in a daily driver car with the exact same motor and everything that i am going to be using and it was perfect so i'd just use that same tune instead of going and spending all the money on getting it dyno'd and shit, and the intercooler isn't huge its just a bigger size and like i said before i'd only be using the same size that my friend had i've seen this entire set up in action and it scared away sti's with work done and gto's with work done on a completly stock ls with this set up, i'd just be doing it in a lighter car with better suspension. and he was being a smart ass and i don't take kindly to that i've been nice to everyone here i'm asking for adive and i gave the specs of the turbo i'd be using and he was still being mean i don't have the money to go get a stock ls with this turbo set up dyno tuned like him i'm just trying to get what i have fast with the money i have and this set up that my friend had is within my price range so i wanna do that in my car

and i'd want nowhere near 600 hp but my friend knows a guy in florida where he got his civic tuned and he was running over 500 daily driver with a stock ls block just rods and pistons, with ac

i saw his build thread cool he's got money, alright.

Theres more to it than that. Hes got the money to spend on a build, yes. But, hes spendin that money once. On a good setup that will hold together.

the reason i am getting this tune is cause i have seen this exact tune and set up in a daily driver car with the exact same motor and everything that i am going to be using and it was perfect so i'd just use that same tune instead of going and spending all the money on getting it dyno'd and shit,

Let me try and stress this again. No two setups are alike. Your setup might turn out the same, but its a long shot. Also, a tune for the power your lookin for isnt gunna be expensive. Tuning a car for 250 horse isnt even in the same ball park as tunning for 500 horse. You should really check it out before you commit.

and the intercooler isn't huge its just a bigger size and like i said before i'd only be using the same size that my friend had i've seen this entire set up in action and it scared away sti's with work done and gto's with work done on a completly stock ls with this set up,

One more time, deviate from what your friend did and youll have more to show for it.

and he was being a smart ass and i don't take kindly to that i've been nice to everyone here i'm asking for adive and i gave the specs of the turbo i'd be using and he was still being mean

Take it how you will, but he was just tryin to make you understand.

i don't have the money to go get a stock ls with this turbo set up dyno tuned like him i'm just trying to get what i have fast with the money i have and this set up that my friend had is within my price range so i wanna do that in my car

Whats your price range?

and i'd want nowhere near 600 hp but my friend knows a guy in florida where he got his civic tuned and he was running over 500 daily driver with a stock ls block just rods and pistons, with ac

I garan-fuckin-tee you that car wont be around long. I hate hearing about these idiots runnin stupid amounts or power on stock blocks. Its a damn shame he even wasted the money on rods and pistons, cuz when that thing grenades none that is gunna be worth shit. Im glad hes got the money to throw away.

and i'm doing the exact same kit he ordered an ebay kit and welded the intercooler piping and got a better turbo and diff blow off and wastegate, so i'd basically do the exact same thing same size turbo same size intercooler same kind of wastegate and a diff blow off, and yea that car probably won't be around long but like i said i don't want anywhere near that power right now cause its my daily driver, i'm looking for like i said a mid 12 at most right now and if i get bored with it i can get rods and pistons better fuel shit and turn the boost up a little bit more, then get it dyno'd but dyno time is the same price no matter how much power you are making so i just wanna get this tune and run the same set up as my friend and drive it, his ran like perfect and my budjet is like 1500 to turbo it and tune it right now, he did his with alot less then that

and i'm doing the exact same kit he ordered an ebay kit and welded the intercooler piping and got a better turbo and diff blow off and wastegate, so i'd basically do the exact same thing same size turbo same size intercooler same kind of wastegate and a diff blow off,

Why waste all the money on that kit when your just gunna replace the most expensive parts?

dyno time is the same price no matter how much power you are making

Your still missing the point. You rent the dyno, usually, by number of pulls or by the hour. Your tellin me that you think its gunna take the same amount of time to tune a stock LS with a turbo to 250 horse as it would to tune an LS/VTEC with full internals and a big turbo to 5 or 600 horse?

1500 to turbo it and tune it right now, he did his with alot less then that

Your throwin that money away if you keep goin the way you are now. For that much money you piece togather a kit thats worth somethin, and still have the money left to tune.

These run on sentences are giving me a fucking headache...

Everyone on here is trying to help you but you seem to already have all the fucking answers. Your friend this, you helped him with that, this guy in timbuktoo pushes this amount of boost, ect... Fuck, you got all the answer and the people right at your finger tips to help you, so why not go ask these people for advice instead of us? You make it seem like they are right and we are wrong so go ask those guys with bootleg, junkyard set ups to help your ass...

hey b16 racer unless you have helpful advice go fuck yourself you didn't need to get on my thread just to talk shit got it? and yea i do understand and it makes alot of sense but if i am going to be running the same exact set up as him then y couldn't i just use the same tune as him wouldn't that make sense? and george777 like i said to b16racer don't get on my thread to talk shit go fuck yourself your not helping anything i don't know the guy with the 500 hp ls so i can't get a slip so how am i going to post it the guy is in florida and i don't even know him my friend told me about him cause thats where he got his civic tuned at. and i was planning on piecing together a kit but buying like an ebay intercooler piping kit and just welding the entire thing so i only need a couple of coupler's like the one to the turbo and the 2 to the intercooler. it'll be less to worry about. and i was just trying to avoid the dyno as much as possible but i'll deff have money left over and i guess i'll have to

I think we got another one to get the stick ready for...

You're telling me to fuck off? GTFO. Bring your shit somewhere else. Better yet, go drink bleach and hug a semi. People like you should be raped in the ass with a chainsaw.

your the one coming into my thread and starting shit wtf is the point its just gunna cause drama its like i'm in high school all over again, if you don't have anything to say that might help out then stay the fuck away simple as that!

hey b16 racer unless you have helpful advice go fuck yourself you didn't need to get on my thread just to talk shit got it? and yea i do understand and it makes alot of sense but if i am going to be running the same exact set up as him then y couldn't i just use the same tune as him wouldn't that make sense?
as everyone told you before... BECAUSE NO TWO ENGINES WILL EVER RUN THE SAME!!! SO NO IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE!!!

His tune might have called to pull 2 degrees of timing @ WOT @ 6500 RPM's where as to your motor would call to pull 4 degrees. You get it now? Every engine runs and calls for different things. PLAIN AND SIMPLE. No two motors are ever going to ask for the exact same tune.

So here we go again. You're Mr. Know It All. Why are you even here? You have all the answers right? So go put your knowledge into your own motor. Or can you not even trust your own level of intelligence?

We know nothing, you and your friend's know everything. Can you guys please make your own website so I can sign up and take in all this knowledge you guys posses. Pretty please, with a cherry on top... :mellow:

Oh, and the other guy who was telling you to properly size your intercooler, he's right. A properly sized intercooler will allow you to minimize any loss of air flow velocity. Oh shit, but you already knew that... :rolleyes:

Also, you don't need a dyno to get tuned. Tune that shit yourself with a wideband... Wait, you knew that, I forgot...sorry.

Last edited:
when i said "wouldn't that make sense?" that means i was asking a fucking question so you don't need to be a fucking dick and apparently i don't know it all since it was a question you piece of fucking shit thats what a question mark is for so you can stop with your fucking sarcasim! you guys act like you know everything yea you may know more then me but you don't have to be fucking asshole's about it i was simply asking questions and the reason i was asking about his tune is cause he got his tune form a guy we know and that guy never even looked at his motor or was anywhere near the car or touched the car he just chipped the ecu with a tune he had for what my friend was putting on his car and for the motor and it ran prefect maybe he got lucky idk and yea i know i don't want like a mack truck intercooler just one big enough to cool my shit down good enough i don't want a tiny ass ebay one. and the other reason i was asking about that tune is cause my motor is in better condition and has better compression then his did and i'm going to have a few better parts like the manifold he had an ebay tubular manifold and i want some kind of log manifold so i figured it would run better with that exact tune. if i was on here asking you people for answer's then apparently i don't know everything otherwise i'd spae myself the humiliation of having people be complete asshole's to me for simply asking for adive.

Back