Alpine CDA-9855

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

starboy869

Hi,

Well. I have the 'itch' for an alpine 9855 deck to upgrade my Clarion dxz735mp deck.

I've only checked out the Alpine CDA-9855 deck on the web, since the Canadian release date is a little bit on the slow side.

Does anyone here have the 9855 deck? Any Bitchin/wines/complaints regarding the deck?

if you dont like the flashy screen, get the 9833 instead. they are the same except for the screen.

go with the alpine. i looked at it on line, I think its a sweet deck

Originally posted by Sabz5150@May 2 2005, 08:24 PM
Alpine is just a flashy name IMHO. Buy another Clarion.
[post=494191]Quoted post[/post]​

:no2:

Alpine has been, and always will be one of the top maufacturers of car audio in the industry. This is their business.....Alpine doesn't make TV's or microwaves, or even home theater stuff or anything else like Sony/Panasonic/JVC/Pioneer/kenwood ect... All they do is car audio. Clarion is budget-based, low to midrange consumer car audio. Alpine is pro.

Just for an exaple.... take the face plate off of a clarion deck and bend it back and fourth, twist it around a bit......it cracks, pops, and feels cheap and light. Do the same with an Alpine. It is solid and well built....sort of the same feeling as closing a door to a Mercedes (feels solid), and closing the door of a Suzuki Swift (sounds like a tin can).

Also, Alpine and Pioneer have the highest actual RMS power ratings of the majors. If a clarion deck states 50W x 4, in actuality, it's probably only hittin 15W or so, true power. Alpine and Pioneer would claim the same wattage and be pushing closer to 25-28W range, true power.

But seriously, Easy-E wasn't shittin us when he said the only thing he'd rock is an Alpine...

Originally posted by adnoh+May 3 2005, 11:42 AM-->
@May 2 2005, 08:24 PM

Also, Alpine and Pioneer have the highest actual RMS power ratings of the majors. If a clarion deck states 50W x 4, in actuality, it's probably only hittin 15W or so, true power. Alpine and Pioneer would claim the same wattage and be pushing closer to 25-28W range, true power.

[post=494449]Quoted post[/post]​

none of that really matters if your a true "pro" you wont be running shit off your hu and will have everything on seperate amps. ;)

hes right though alpine and eclipse are solid well built hu's.

from my own personal experience i love the hell out of panasonic hu's. the new one i have the cq-c8401 is likened to the alpine 98xx's and other brands in the 350-400 dollar range.
it has more features and better sound then alot of 350 buck hu's out there and i found them for only 214 at www.etronics.com.

you cant find a new hu for under 300 bucks thats better then that panasonic imo

i almost bought this deck but instead went with a pioneer premier DEH-P860MP which i absolutely love.

Originally posted by micah+May 3 2005, 12:48 PM-->
Originally posted by adnoh@May 3 2005, 11:42 AM
Sabz5150
@May 2 2005, 08:24 PM

[post=494449]Quoted post[/post]​

none of that really matters if your a true "pro" you wont be running shit off your hu and will have everything on seperate amps. ;)

hes right though alpine and eclipse are solid well built hu's.

from my own personal experience i love the hell out of panasonic hu's. the new one i have the cq-c8401 is likened to the alpine 98xx's and other brands in the 350-400 dollar range.
it has more features and better sound then alot of 350 buck hu's out there and i found them for only 214 at www.etronics.com.

you cant find a new hu for under 300 bucks thats better then that panasonic imo
[post=494485]Quoted post[/post]​

wrong.....what gives the source signals for sound..your HU!. no you not using the power of it w/ sep. amps, but signal clarity/seperation differs between HU! Buy an Alpine or Eclipse if you are a true audiophile.

the rms of your hu's built in amp has nothing to do with the signal running to your sub/component amps.

therefore if your a true adiouphile the rms wattage of the built in hu doesnt matter for jack shit.

also some of the top of the line hu's dont even have built in amplifiers for that exact reason.

nothing about my statement was wrong.

Im not talking about RMS from anything, I am toalking about the clarity and truness of the signal via RCA output. They DO differ between Companies and some are better than outers.

I'm not going to be using the HU internal amp. I have a ppi 404.2 pushing 2 sets of Rockford Fosgate components and hopefully soon a ppi 600.2 pushing a better than lower end JL 10" ish sub.

I would switch over to JL amps but I'm planning to buy a house within a year.

I'm just looking for much better sound quailty audio system. I heard Alpine is one of the best.

Originally posted by hybrid89@May 3 2005, 02:17 PM
wrong.....what gives the source signals for sound..
[post=494518]Quoted post[/post]​

My processor.

I don't depend much on the HU except to actually play the discs and tune the radio. I know that you don't need a flashy name to get good audio. I've let audio guys listen to my $1000 setup (this includes DVD and video) and I have been told "This sounds better than most anything I have heard."

The processor I use either takes in a digital signal or the analog L/R from the deck. It then handles it and sends it out as six 4 volt outputs. In analog mode it sounds pretty nice. In digital mode it will make that Alpine sound like a Pep Boys bargain deck.

Many people overlook one thing... sampling rate. Normal CDs are in 44.1KHz and nobody pays attention to them. In digital mode my system outputs six discrete 96KHz signals with 24 bit resolution. "The clarity is absolutely amazing." is what I hear from people who listen to it.

Granted my car audio is DTS 5.1, but I built that system to prove you don't need deep pockets and flashy names to get a nice sounding setup.

Okay enough tooting my own horn.

Originally posted by Sabz5150+May 3 2005, 10:41 PM-->
@May 3 2005, 02:17 PM
wrong.....what gives the source signals for sound..
[post=494518]Quoted post[/post]​

My processor.

I don't depend much on the HU except to actually play the discs and tune the radio. I know that you don't need a flashy name to get good audio. I've let audio guys listen to my $1000 setup (this includes DVD and video) and I have been told "This sounds better than most anything I have heard."

The processor I use either takes in a digital signal or the analog L/R from the deck. It then handles it and sends it out as six 4 volt outputs. In analog mode it sounds pretty nice. In digital mode it will make that Alpine sound like a Pep Boys bargain deck.

Many people overlook one thing... sampling rate. Normal CDs are in 44.1KHz and nobody pays attention to them. In digital mode my system outputs six discrete 96KHz signals with 24 bit resolution. "The clarity is absolutely amazing." is what I hear from people who listen to it.

Granted my car audio is DTS 5.1, but I built that system to prove you don't need deep pockets and flashy names to get a nice sounding setup.

Okay enough tooting my own horn.
[post=494721]Quoted post[/post]​

Well, the main diffrence is that you're speaking about a surround setup. We're talking about a straight up, stereo, 16-Bit, 44,100. The only way you're going to notice the diffrence on your system is with a DVD. Take a straight up CD and put it on your system....I don't care if you're running a 32-Bit True Tape 196KHz system, the source is still 16-Bit, 44.1.... Therefore no increase in signal quality whatsoever.

But... If we were to grab a similar system to yours with the Alpine name I'll bet that, 1) It sounds better, and 2) It lasts longer. This was my point.

Originally posted by adnoh@May 4 2005, 12:11 AM
Well, the main diffrence is that you're speaking about a surround setup. We're talking about a straight up, stereo, 16-Bit, 44,100. The only way you're going to notice the diffrence on your system is with a DVD. Take a straight up CD and put it on your system....I don't care if you're running a 32-Bit True Tape 196KHz system, the source is still 16-Bit, 44.1.... Therefore no increase in signal quality whatsoever.

But... If we were to grab a similar system to yours with the Alpine name I'll bet that, 1) It sounds better, and 2) It lasts longer. This was my point.
[post=494769]Quoted post[/post]​

I do in fact have some audio DTS CDs. DVD audio discs are getting more and more popular as well. I can still get around some of the 44.1 limitations using higher rate mp3's... 48KHz, 320Kbps but there's no need. The system is geared towards price point mobile theater. Normal audio is simply background music for my daily driving.

The processor also does a bit of SRS magic. Granted it does get some lower quality recordings wrong (live mixes for example... the guy who is introducing the DJ sounds about fifty miles away) but it is still pretty decent. The main advantages of the processor in analog mode are the 4 volt preouts, the ability to do makeshift surround which does sound decent with some discs and the ability to independantly control my speaker volumes. The sound quality is good, everything is externally amped (it has to be). The processor also handles all crossover voodoo.

If you were to grab a similar system to mine with the Alpine name, you'd be out a LOT of money. The headunit, yes it is cheap but the processor had a price tag of around half a grand when it was introduced. I just happened to score a killer deal. It's a nice piece of equipment. I could go for higher quality speaks but my point behind creating this system was to prove that deep pockets and a flashy name aren't what's needed to build a good sounding system. I have done just that.

The system cost under a grand and includes the DVD headunit, 7.2 inch widescreen flipdown, DTS surround processor, full complement of speakers, amplifiers, subs and CD changer.

Now, give me the budget you are gonna plunk on an Alpine system and I will blow it away.

For under a grand? Can't....so you're absolutely right. I'd still rather have an Alpine though. You get what you pay for dude. I'd feel totally fine with paying $3-4K for an entire setup (hu, amps, speaks, ect...) from Alpine because I know that I'd still be rockin' it ten years down the road.

This is exactly why when people buy DJ tuntables, they buy a Tech 1200, and not the Numark or Vestax. Because 15 years down the road you could drop a Tech 12 off of a bridge and still record a demo tape that night.

Originally posted by adnoh@May 4 2005, 06:42 PM
For under a grand? Can't....so you're absolutely right. I'd still rather have an Alpine though. You get what you pay for dude. I'd feel totally fine with paying $3-4K for an entire setup (hu, amps, speaks, ect...) from Alpine because I know that I'd still be rockin' it ten years down the road.

This is exactly why when people buy DJ tuntables, they buy a Tech 1200, and not the Numark or Vestax. Because 15 years down the road you could drop a Tech 12 off of a bridge and still record a demo tape that night.
[post=495159]Quoted post[/post]​

The components (minus the HU) aren't cheap bargain bin parts. I just managed to get some good deals. The amps are good old school amps. Nothing too big. The front/rear amp is a Pioneer. It's lived for 7 years strong. I resoldered all the points on the board just to make sure it was working good. The processor has worked for 5. Speaks are poly/rubber construction, pretty durable.

The headunit needed to fit two specifc requirments... coax digital and mp3 capability. Didn't need anything uber special. I'll buy a nice one later. I wanted the system to work.

Originally posted by Sabz5150+May 4 2005, 09:44 PM-->
@May 4 2005, 06:42 PM

[post=495159]Quoted post[/post]​

The components (minus the HU) aren't cheap bargain bin parts. I just managed to get some good deals. The amps are good old school amps. Nothing too big. The front/rear amp is a Pioneer. It's lived for 7 years strong. I resoldered all the points on the board just to make sure it was working good. The processor has worked for 5. Speaks are poly/rubber construction, pretty durable.

The headunit needed to fit two specifc requirments... coax digital and mp3 capability. Didn't need anything uber special. I'll buy a nice one later. I wanted the system to work.
[post=495255]Quoted post[/post]​

I'm not saying your setup is cheap shit by any means dude. It actually sounds like it would be pretty dope. Have fun with it :)

Back