Alrighty then, just gettin started

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

kk5150

So i recently just got a 1998 civic ex. has a d18y8. no vtec. lowered. has aem intake, and a cat back exhaust system.

I've never touched an import car and this is my first. I wanna make it have a little more power.. Looking for suggestions as to what would be good BOLT ON parts that will give me more power. I know ECU's do that but which ones? not wanting to do anything internal right now, but i know that limits me as to how much power i can get.

thanks

you wont get much power as far as bolt ons are concerned. maybe 10-15whp if you are lucky. an ecu or "chip" isn't the best route either.

if you are really looking to add noticable power, you are going to need to add a turbo or get a swap. otherwise you are literally wasting money on bolts ons for a non-vtec sohc.

well right now thats all im lookin for. ill do somethin like a turbo and a full build after i get some more money. but ya just anything that will give 20hp will be awesome.

i could get some ebay stuff and get a knockoff i/h/e setup. it wont give you much, but its worth a shot. i wouldnt' do an ebay ecu though. you may end up blowing your motor.

i would personally just make the car look really clean and go faster when i have the money. but thats just me.

good stuff. i was thinkin about gettin an msd ignition system and coil to match that. and possibly a skunk2 intake manifold??

thanks

both of those are a waste of money. the ignition will cost a lot, but not add anything. the only time you would need a whole new ignition setup is if you are running 500hp or more. the oem honda setup is phenomenal. however, a good tune up would work wonders.

the IM isn't going to add much either. you aren't burning enough fuel to need more air flow.

you should consider getting some good brakes and tires. improve your driving technique before adding more power. with good stability for the car, you can go faster than a car with more uncontrollable power. stop light runs are fun until you actually start turning. back roads and road tracks are where the adrenaline gets going.

im with 95b16coupe on this one.
leave it until you have the funds to do a full build, and do it right. in the meantime focus on suspension and brakes. research until your eyes bleed.

almost anything you can imagine with a honda has been done.. so the information is out there.

Just starting out myself, thanks for the info guys, I'm looking at an ebay i/h/e system, are they okay? I just cant see spending 3-400 extra on name brand for something like that, how much difference could it make?

I have a 98 civic ex myself, and before I do a swap on it, I plan on converting the back drums to disk. I don't want to up the hp but not be able to stop. Just something to think about.

Back