Alternate OS's

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DO NOT install linux or any version of it on your primary system if you have no experience with it. you will curse yourself to no end for your stupidity and feel about as big as a piece of shit when you can't do something as simple as reboot from the command line.

ask me how i know

Originally posted by Cashizslick+Oct 10 2004, 02:41 AM-->
@Oct 9 2004, 11:40 PM
Dual boot it. You could build another machine dedicated to Linux too- that would help you learn it.
[post=400662]Quoted post[/post]​

Calesta - anywhere i can get G00D instructions on Dual B00ting Linuk and Windows XP?
[post=400726]Quoted post[/post]​

That ZDNet article might be good- they generally have decent information. I didn't read it though. Me, I just run and install stuff on my own. I never have any major issues- but that's me. Not you.

:lol:

Good luck.

Or do what I did when I first tried linux. I had a spare hard drive from an old system that I wasn't using. I disconnected my Windows drive to keep it safe and connected the spare drive and did a complete linux install. Whenever I needed Windows for something I just switched the IDE cable and reconnected my Windows drive. Bam, back in Windows land, no harm done.

Not the most elegant solution, but it made me feel safer at the time.

Originally posted by DarkHand+Oct 11 2004, 11:44 AM-->
Or do what I did when I first tried linux. I had a spare hard drive from an old system that I wasn't using. I disconnected my Windows drive to keep it safe and connected the spare drive and did a complete linux install. Whenever I needed Windows for something I just switched the IDE cable and reconnected my Windows drive. Bam, back in Windows land, no harm done.
Not the most elegant solution, but it made me feel safer at the time.
[post=401165]Quoted post[/post]​
pissedoffsol
@Oct 11 2004, 11:52 AM
werd- thats what i do too
[post=401171]Quoted post[/post]​

I just run a separate hard drive on my SCSI chain and switch boot IDs when I want to change operating systems. Easy as pie, no cable switching- and true independent OSs.

I am running Debian at home, it is about a year old, and it is running on my PC. I have it pretty tricked out, but with all the applications I use for work now, I cannot survive in the Linux world. I like having it there do the things I cannot do on my mac, and I try not to boot into windows to offten it has been about 3 months since I have booted in windows.

Back