1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alternatives to the F22A1?

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by WishIhadAnR34, Feb 6, 2005.

1. WishIhadAnR34

WishIhadAnR34 Junior Member

Hey guys, newbie here. I've been cruising forums everywhere on the net but nobody seems either interested or able to help me out.

I have a '91 Accord LX and the compression went out of the cylinders. I'm fine with this really because I'm more interested in swapping the block out versus trying to salvage the stock one that's in it.

What I want to know is which blocks are compatable with the CB7_5? Am I stuck with the F22A1? I've heard that I can go with the Prelude's H22 DOHC, but are those my only choices here?

If possible I'm looking to go with a 6cyl JDM VTEC, does anyone know if there's one that will fit? If not do you know what my options are here? My only sticking point is that I would really like to go with a V6. Any help would be greatly appreciated here!

2. dohcvtec_accord

dohcvtec_accord WRX Sellout

Your chassis won't accept a V6 without a ton of modification.

Any of the F or H-series will bolt in relatively easily. The H22 will offer you the most power/torque, but you could also look into the F22B (DOHC non-VTEC from Japan) or an H23A1 (out of the USDM 4th-gen Ludes) as well.

3. WishIhadAnR34

I've found a guy with a clean working H22A 2.2L block that he wants around $1300 for, but would it be more worth it to look around for an H23A? Is there a significant power difference between the two?

I also plan to get a turbo kit for this as well, would either of these two blocks give me any trouble in that arena or is one as good as the other as far as that's concerend?

Thanks for the info!

4. projectxspeed

projectxspeed Senior Member

H22a > H23a I would pick up and swap in the h22a

5. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

h22 = vtec 200 hp
    h23 = non vtec 160 horse
    both DOHC

h22 92-96 is closed deck OBD1
    h22 97-01 open deck, OBD2
    closed deck>open deck for turbo

1300 for short block? or just the block, no head

2000-2200 = whole h22 swap with motor, trans and ecu

if you have the $$ get the swap, you want the h22 trans or you will fall from vtec between shifts

6. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

Wow, look what I found linked at the bottom in the Google ad bar!

http://www.ultimateresourceguides.com/h22swap-9093/index.php

Looks like a good deal to me. :)

A 96 engine should already be OBD2.

Short block = just the block without a head.

Closed deck is definitely better for boost, but the stock H22 can make 350whp easily (or more) on the open deck block.

7. WishIhadAnR34

First off thank you guys for all your help. But being a newbie I am full of questions.

My next question would be with the H22 does it matter what year model 'lude it comes from? would the 92-96 block be good enough for my application? If you don't wanna waste any more time on my newb questions I understand. I plan on obtaining a copy of the Ultimate H22A Swap Guide Book: 90-93 Accord that was linked by Calesta (THANKS!!). This should be able to point me in the right direction for getting exactly what I'm looking for.

8. 22sohc

22sohc Junior Member

Anyone already got the H22A swap that might want to share it to me ?. If you do, I will be more than grateful. My email address is bycheah@gmail.com
    I am doing research on doing the swap of my current Accord SOHC 2.2l to H22A.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted