Alternator Belt in 95 EX

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

totalburnout

VIP
Okay,

The belt went in my sister's car which is a '95 EX. I came home from school and was going to help the family out by changing the belt but I've run into a problem.

All the accessories obviously work off the crank pulley. The alternator pulley belt is the further back on the crank pulley, which means that I have to pull the other two belts? I loosened the power steering pulley mounts and that belt came off easily.

I'm unsure how to get the A/C pulley belt off. I don't see where they mount or how the hell to get that belt off. The Chilton manual is no help.

Also the alternator appears to be frozen in place. I took the top two mounting bolts off, and the nut for the bolt that allows the alternator to swing but the alternator doesn't want to move, nor does that bolt. Any ideas.

Cliff notes;

How the hell do I get the A/C belt off?
Ideas how to get the alternator bolt out - the body tray is in the way so it makes it difficult to swing a hammer to try to back that bolt out.

Why the fuck is an alternator belt so difficult on this stupid SOHC civic. There's no room in the damn bay and its shitty mcshitty. I can do the WRX belt in 5minutes.

Look on the top of the bracket that holds the pulley for the A/C belt, you should see a little nut. That's the adjustment for the pulley, loosen that and you can get the belt off. For the frozen alt., try some liquid wrench, rubber mallet, and/or a pry bar.

Did you take off the bolt that hold the alt. bracket to the water pump/block? If so, you didn't need to. You only have to loosen the one on the botton of the alt. and the one that allows it to slide around in the track.

I took the bracket to the water pump/block off, the sliding bolt for adjustment, and I took the nut off the bottom.

I took the wing nut off the power steering pulley and two bolts that hold it up in place. One on the top and one on the bottom. I pulled that belt off and the pulley is just hanging there.

I didn't see any adjustment bolt for the ac pulley and the Chilton manual doesn't provide a picture. The car is a '94 with 150k from the NorthEast and rusted as hell. Its difficult navigating the engine bay.

I did the PB blaster thing on the bottom bolt for the alternator and tapped it with a hammer but it won't come out. I would think that I wouldn't even need to pull the bolt that it should swing freely. Even with using a rubber mallet and the back of a screw driver against the alternator it wouldn't budge down.

Cliffnotes; I need to know where that AC adjuster bolt is, since its that pulley is hidden under the powersteering pulley and there's not much room to see anything. I see a bracket that the pulley is on with what looks like a 12mm bolt behind the bracket. It appears if I remove that, then I will simply be removing the bracket behind the pulley and not adjusting the AC pulley.

And I'm unsure why that damn alternator won't budge.

Went out and took a pic. That's the adjustment bolt for the a/c pulley.

I had the same problem getting the alt. off of my spare Z6 block. I had the beat that bottom bolt out with a hammer. If that bolt's frozen, it's most likely frozen to the alt. as well.

I used a pry bar and got the alternator to move a bit, but not swing down like it should. I'll try to mess with that tomorrow when there's more light.

I found that bolt that you're talking about, I saw that before and didn't think it could possibly be a belt tensioner. Why the hell do you have all that room in the engine bay and I have no space? Christ. Her car is so rusted that it doesn't even look like the same bracket.

Thanks for taking the picture. I'm not sure how I'm going to reach down there and get the bolt undone because all of the crap blocking it on her car.

Back